Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof

3.4

on 3/8/2013 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My 3rd favorite Maybelline mascara (Rocket volume and Colosaal are my other 2)

Nice volume and fullness and no flaking. My only gripe is that tthisi one seems to dry out fast otherwise its good!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The only mascara I have ever used is Maybelline Great Lash, but I wanted to try a waterproof mascara and picked this up. I was SO disappointed. I have naturally thick, curled, LONG lashes and this mascara some how managed to ruin everything I had going for me. My eyelashes were hardly noticeable after I applied it - very thin looking, clumped together, the curl mysteriously gone, and my lashes looked stubby and short. (Also, I consider myself a master at applying mascara - I can usually manipulate any mascara to give my lashes or someone else's good volume and length but this mascara did NOT want to cooperate.) It was a very wet formula, which I didn't like, and the smell was really bad. My Great Lash has a smell to it, but nothing like this. Disgusting. Plus, this is impossible to remove. I scrubbed at it for 10 minutes with my Almay Oil-Free eye makeup remover and only got half of it off. And then it smeared black beneath my eye, which I couldn't get off either. There were still traces of it two days after I wore it. Don't waste your time, this isn't what you're looking for.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

All of the Maybelline Volum' Express incarnations have worked well for me, and this is no exception.

Color-I have 'Very Black' and the color is just that.

Application/Formula- The brush is of medium size, and bristles are of medium density. Easy application with the begin at the root and wiggle motion, the formula is a medium consistency. I apply two coats to get the look I want and I run a clean spoolie through to separate anything that has stuck together. My lashes are medium-long and tend to tangle, so that last step is necessary for me regardless of what product I use. I have no clumping issues with the product. The product smells like the non toxic acrylic paints used in kindergarden the world over. It's waterproof enough for my purposes. No migrating or smudging in 12+ hours of wear unless I rub my eyes like mad. Comes off easily with cold cream and a warm washcloth. I have had no issues with this drying out in the tube or getting goopy.

Effect- This gives my longish but not terribly thick lashes a boost of volume and thickness. The effect is medium to dramatic, depending on how long I fiddle with it. There's a picture up top, the lady with the green/hazel eyes and out of control eyebrows, that's me with two coats on.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This was one of the first mascaras I've ever tried, and I didn't regret it. I'm always on the lookout for a great volumizing mascara and this was very good. It never clumped on me and gave me great buildable volume. If I wanted a natural application, I got it. Something more dramatic? I got it. A good, all around mascara.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've used this mascara for Years... it makes me little lashes look large & in charge! Holds the curl well and doesn't look clumpy. I couldn't be without it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm on the fence with this one. I orginally purchased this when it was first introduced about 4 years ago. It did the job, but i was looking for more. Since then, I have gone through countless tubes from countless companies, so I decided to give this one a second go around. The wand used to be thicker(not as thick as Diorshow, but close). It's now really small (think MAC zoomlash). It gave me volume and length, but not as much as I thought because I was expecting "zoom" lashes. I'm not too sure if I will repurchase.

on 5/6/2008 9:01:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

I was really impressed with this mascara. I bought it after I noticed a barista with phenomenal lashes. I asked what she used and this is what she said. It gave me long lashes and when I combine it with Shiseido Lash Base, it holds a curl and gives me long thick lashes.

on 1/17/2008 8:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I love this mascara. I had been looking for a mascara that doesn't clump, doesn't flake, and doesn't smudge, and doesn't make my lashes crispy/fragile feeling. I'm happy to say this is it, and it's fairly cheap, I think this was something like $5 and there was a $2 off coupon attached. One coat of this leaves a fairly natural look without huge amounts of volume, but on the plus side you don't have to worry about spider eyes at all. This is totally buildable though, so you can go back and apply more coats to get more volume. I don't normally repurchase mascara because I go through them slowly and like to try different ones, but I could totally see myself buying this again; it looks great, versatile/buildable, wears well, removes easily w cold cream or mu remover, and is cheap to boot. Nice stuff.

on 12/21/2007 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Got this on an amazing sale at CVS where you purchase either a mascara or l/g and get another of the same product for free! I originally grabbed Great Lash but at the counter the clerk informed that it was excluded from the sale. Bummer. So I rushed back and grabbed this one instead. First, let me mention that I *loved* the way the one in the blue packaging (volume express also) made my lashes look so I figured this one would be just as great.
I applied one coat and got nothing out of it. Then I applied another coat, making sure I swiped my lashes several time and NOW we're talking! It made my lashes look full, but not too thick, and separated them well.
I went along my day when I noticed my eyes becoming irritated and they started to itch. My lids then got puffy and my eye started shutting down. Yikes!!! I ran home to wash it off and then noticed it wasn't coming off!! DUH!!! I picked up the waterproof version *by mistake*.
Just like the other volume express in the blue tube, which was also waterproof, it didnt work out for my eyes. I'm convienced my eyes are sensitive to all waterproof mascaras, which really sucks cuz the effect I got from this one was amazing.
I didnt look so hot with an irritated droopy eye so I immediately tossed it. Good thing I got it on sale. Still a great mascara, but not for me.

on 12/14/2007 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I like this mascara alot. I always come back to it. It plumps up my lashes and makes them pop! I use it over Maybelline's Sky High Curves. Sky High gives me curl and length and Volum Express Turbo gives me fatter, thicker lashes. I use both in the blackest shade of black and in waterproof. I've never had a problem with them running or smearing, but I know I'm reaching the end of their lifespans because they start to flake. I replace very 3-4 months. Maybelline, as far as I'm concerned, really has the best mascaras.