Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof

2.9

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this mascara when they were out of Colossal Volume Waterproof at the store. I always use waterproof mascara because my lashes will straighten out with non-waterproof. I was only going to use this until I found Colossal but now I like this better. The one coat coverage is excellent and I was surprised because I usually have to build and build on my skimpy straight lashes to get the coverage and volume I am getting with one coat of this. It is also not overly wet when new like most mascaras that I find get better in a week or two after opening. I have allergies and sensitive eyes and this did not make my eyes water. I will be buying this from now on.

on 7/15/2012 12:25:00 PM

Great Mascara. Holds curl amazingly even all day even after swimming. Comes off easy with makeup remover.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I used to love Cliniques High Impact Mascara but was looking for a cheaper alternative and boy did this mascara live up to its hype! I think I have quite 'normal' eyelashes that are of mid length and a little bit sparse looking without mascara but once I put this on it looks amazing. I really love that one or 2 coats is nice for a standard day look but if I curl my eyelashes and go for a heavier application I really can get amazingly thick and dramatic looking eyes that have even more drama than the Clinique High Impact. The only thing that stopped me frm giving this 5 lippies is the fact that it can clump a little bit (although to be honest that is after many many coats) and that it can be very difficult to remove at night even with a good eye makeup remover. All in all a really versatile and fantastic product for a great price..... will definately be keeping it as a makeup bag staple!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! You know those mascara advertisements in magazenes where the model's lashes are defined and volumous and...perfect? That's what my lashes looked like after only ONE COAT of this amazing product. I have a fair complexion, so I snagged this mascara in a dark brown (i'm not sure if that's the actual name of the color) and it looks beautiful. It glides onto my lashes really easily. It doesn't flake or smudge (even though it isn't the waterproof) and gave me incredible volume, considering I got the x3, as opposed to the x5 or x7. So here are the pros adn cons of this mascara:

PROS:
~defines and volumizes
~doesn't clump my lashes
~no smudging or flaking
~1 coat can be used as a natural everyday look, while 3 coats can give you dramatic nighttime lashes
~holds curl
~deosn't leave my lashes feeling stiff and brittle

CONS:
~There's always a little mascara at the tip of the wand, so i either have to wipe it off or be careful when applying it

A little more information about Volum' Express Turbo Boost mascara...

Wand: Average sized that comes to a slight point (I said SLIGHT)
Price: Super cheap! Ranges from $8-10 (US dollars).
Packaging: Dark navy blue with name of mascara in silver. Tube is somewhat bulky, but not extremely big and can still fit in even very tiny purses
Formula: Does not have a strong scent and is not too watery or too thick

I think this may become my new HG mascara, replacing my full n' soft by Maybelline.

on 3/6/2009 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Thickening mascara is a must on my long but fine and pale (in contrast with my dark hair) lashes, and I always wear waterproof (contact lenses and sensitive, allergy-prone eyes; also lashes have very little natural curl and need a waterproof formula to set the one I give them). A fat, feathery, but plausibly natural fringe of lashes is my ideal. VETB comes surprisingly close to delivering. It has a very user-friendly brush - slim and not too bushy - that makes accessing roots and eye corners easy. The downside of this is that the bristles are quite separated - presumably to help achieve the volume potential lost by not having a large, dense wand - so without careful application clumps tend to appear after the first layer. A few quick swipes with a metal eyelash comb fixes that. Usefully buildable without looking brittle, from subtle definition and beefing up through to Bambi meets Barbie - an advantage if, like me, you occasionally wear glasses and require different looks from one mascara. Feels weightless on yet holds a curl beautifully - no drooping throughout the day. Matte, true black shade leaves a slight grey residue under the eye by nightfall, but no noticeable smudges, and removes swiftly with an oil-based cleanser (homemade cleansing oil or jojoba oil followed by Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser here). Cheap and replaceable at a time when drugstore mascaras seem to be creeping ever upwards in price. I'd prefer a slightly glossier finish and a brush of the same size and width with more bristles. Otherwise, a good, overlooked all-rounder.
Ingredients (from outer packaging): Isododecane, cera microcristallina (microcrystalline wax), C8-9 isoparaffin, cera alba (beeswax), disteardimonium hectorite, carnauba wax, aqua (water), propylene carbonate, allyl stearate/VA copolymer, lecithin, ethylenediamine/stearyl dimer dilinoleate, copolymer, oryza stiva (rice starch), polyvinyl laurate, sodium polymethacrylate, propylparaben, PEG/PPG-17/18 dimethicone, hydrogenated jojoba oil, polyquarternium-10, silica, panthenol, calcium sodium borosilicate, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, butylparaben (may contain CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499/iron oxides, CI 77891/titanium dioxide, CI 75470/carmine, CI 77007/ultramarines, CI 77288/chromium oxide greens, CI 77289/chromium hydroxide green, CI 77742/manganese violet, mica, CI 77510/ferric ferrocyanide).
UK: 4.87, from Boots, Superdrug and independent chemists nationwide.

on 9/27/2008 4:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

Volume? Not really. This mascara did more lengthening for my lashes than thickening, and even then it wasn't that big of a difference from my naked lashes. This mascara did have some staying power, but not much. I didn't have a problem with smudging or running, so it is waterproof, but it started to flake off after about 6 hours of wear. I'm very disappointed in this product; any Maybelline mascara I buy in the future it'll be the one in the pink bottle with the green cap (<-- which has been great for me time and time again).

on 8/1/2008 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Yet another waterproof mascara that isn't smudge-proof - what's the point in being able to go swimming in it if it doesn't stay on your lashes all day anyway? It's probably my fault for having oily skin and long curly lashes that touch my top and bottom lids though, and this mascara does give you big thick lashes without clumps. I think it would be great for someone who doesn't have too many problems with smudging who wants a cheap volumising waterproof mascara.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Thick, dry and clumpy, was difficult to get any color on lashes. Hardly any volume or curl. It flaked slightly, and gave me dark smudges under my eyes yet more difficult to remove than other waterproof mascaras.

I also had a reaction to this, my eyelids swelled up every time I used it, leaving them pink and itchy for days, like a little pink mouse!

on 4/28/2008 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Too clumpy.. also too much product came out !

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Fairly impressed with this mascara. Criteria: a waterproof mascara (that IS actually waterproof). With a decent brush to get down to the lash roots (as I'm pale of lash). A formula that leaves lashes soft to the touch, defines, and gives some length and volume - no spider-legs, mono-lashes, or Tammy F. Not clumpy, no smudging or flaking. No irritation. Not tested on animals (Maybelline currently has a moratorium - parent L'Oreal group doesn't, some subsidiaries like M. and The Body Shop do). The Boost ticks all these boxes. Including passing the crucial shower and swimming-pool tests.

The only reason I'm not repurchasing it for the moment is that my lashes look and feel better with my regular mascara (currently Clinique Naturally Glossy or Long Pretty) and Clarins Fix' Mascara on top; and the Fix is just as waterproof as the Boost.

Some slight caveats and cons:

(1) If you find the mascara is dry, or dries up within a few days, return it if you can: you've been sold an old tube. If like us poor unfortunates here in Ireland you can't do this (no returning opened cosmetics and the like), then take action. Complain to the shop in question about their stocking old stuff, and make a mental note never to buy mascara from that shop again. Previous reviewers who've had the dry mascara problem have my sympathy. Been there all too often, especially in the UK in days of yore, when Maybelline was imported from further, and sold more slowly, before it was Big. Life's better now as what's sold on the European market now comes from Gemey-Maybelline in France.

You could also try steaming the tube gently in a bain-marie.

(2) Only available in black. Grrr. Discrimination against the pale - brown is often better on the pale of lash. But this was actually fine, rather good behind glasses. Pleasant surprise.

(3) The Boost *does* need to be combed through after each coat; but then, so does every mascara I've ever tried over the last 20-odd years. Its brush is good - short enough (1 inch long), dense bushy bristles, not too fat, nice shorter handle, easy to use: I can get right down to lash roots on the upper side of the top lashes.

(4) Needs careful removal, as very waterproof. Swiss-style cotton wool pads, dampened with water then oil (50:50 mineral/sunflower blend right now - I also use olive, safflower, jojoba, avocado, etc. on occasion). Or, to be more environmentally-friendly, use a small toweling pad, a fresh one each time obviously (tip: no need to buy the expensive health-store type - make your own out of old wash-cloths). Placed on top of closed eye and held there for a good couple of minutes. Next, swept down over eye - gently but firmly. Then, with eye opened, pad between thumb and first couple of fingers and squeeze it gently around the lashes, top then bottom. Again, taking care not to rub. Use a wet washcloth (cool water) and cotton wool buds/Q-tips to rinse off and get rid of any remaining debris. Wash rest of face, moisturise, eye cream, etc., and so to bed.

(5) Doesn't last very long before it dries up and goes on crusty, crunchy, blobby, etc. Count about 4 weeks, no more. This makes it more expensive than mascaras that are 2.5 x the price but last 5 x as long...

(6) It IS waterproof, but so is my regular non-WP mascara with Clarins Fix' Mascara on top. And the Fix lasts for a good 6 months and has many advantages over any WP mascara (see review...).

I used the old, non-turbo version many years ago. I've used waterproof for years, in one form or another, due to living in rainy countries and/or practising water sports. Defected to Full & Soft when in the US (and it remains the standard against which I judge all other mascara). Alas, not available in Ireland, so moved over to various other mascaras.

Far superior to the non-turbo boost old version. Cheap enough to try out and throw away, even here - EUR 7.50 (North Americans count your blessings!). The tube doesn't last that well though - used every day, I'd count about 4 weeks' decent usage, after which it becomes dry and unpleasant. Hence 3 lippies on price and 4 all round: this works out more expensive than a mascara that is perfect for many months (ex. Clinique).

INGREDIENTS: isodecane, microcrystalline wax, c8-9 isoparaffin, beeswax, disteardimonium hectorite, carnauba wax, water, propylene carbonate, allyl stearate/va copolymer, lecithin, ethylenediamine/stearyl dimer dilinoleate copolymer, rice starch, polyvinyl laurate, sodium polymethacrylate, propylparaben, peg/ppg-17/18 dimethicone, hydrogenated jojoba oil, polyquaternium-10, silica, panthenol, calcium sodium borosilicate, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, butylparaben ( may contain ci 77492, 77491, 77499/iron oxides, ci 77891/titanium dioxide, ci 75470/carmine, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, mica, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide). continued >>