Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof

Maybelline Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof

3.4

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Fairly impressed with this mascara. Criteria: a waterproof mascara (that IS actually waterproof). With a decent brush to get down to the lash roots (as I'm pale of lash). A formula that leaves lashes soft to the touch, defines, and gives some length and volume - no spider-legs, mono-lashes, or Tammy F. Not clumpy, no smudging or flaking. No irritation. Not tested on animals (Maybelline currently has a moratorium - parent L'Oreal group doesn't, some subsidiaries like M. and The Body Shop do). The Boost ticks all these boxes. Including passing the crucial shower and swimming-pool tests.

The only reason I'm not repurchasing it for the moment is that my lashes look and feel better with my regular mascara (currently Clinique Naturally Glossy or Long Pretty) and Clarins Fix' Mascara on top; and the Fix is just as waterproof as the Boost.

Some slight caveats and cons:

(1) If you find the mascara is dry, or dries up within a few days, return it if you can: you've been sold an old tube. If like us poor unfortunates here in Ireland you can't do this (no returning opened cosmetics and the like), then take action. Complain to the shop in question about their stocking old stuff, and make a mental note never to buy mascara from that shop again. Previous reviewers who've had the dry mascara problem have my sympathy. Been there all too often, especially in the UK in days of yore, when Maybelline was imported from further, and sold more slowly, before it was Big. Life's better now as what's sold on the European market now comes from Gemey-Maybelline in France.

You could also try steaming the tube gently in a bain-marie.

(2) Only available in black. Grrr. Discrimination against the pale - brown is often better on the pale of lash. But this was actually fine, rather good behind glasses. Pleasant surprise.

(3) The Boost *does* need to be combed through after each coat; but then, so does every mascara I've ever tried over the last 20-odd years. Its brush is good - short enough (1 inch long), dense bushy bristles, not too fat, nice shorter handle, easy to use: I can get right down to lash roots on the upper side of the top lashes.

(4) Needs careful removal, as very waterproof. Swiss-style cotton wool pads, dampened with water then oil (50:50 mineral/sunflower blend right now - I also use olive, safflower, jojoba, avocado, etc. on occasion). Or, to be more environmentally-friendly, use a small toweling pad, a fresh one each time obviously (tip: no need to buy the expensive health-store type - make your own out of old wash-cloths). Placed on top of closed eye and held there for a good couple of minutes. Next, swept down over eye - gently but firmly. Then, with eye opened, pad between thumb and first couple of fingers and squeeze it gently around the lashes, top then bottom. Again, taking care not to rub. Use a wet washcloth (cool water) and cotton wool buds/Q-tips to rinse off and get rid of any remaining debris. Wash rest of face, moisturise, eye cream, etc., and so to bed.

(5) Doesn't last very long before it dries up and goes on crusty, crunchy, blobby, etc. Count about 4 weeks, no more. This makes it more expensive than mascaras that are 2.5 x the price but last 5 x as long...

(6) It IS waterproof, but so is my regular non-WP mascara with Clarins Fix' Mascara on top. And the Fix lasts for a good 6 months and has many advantages over any WP mascara (see review...).

I used the old, non-turbo version many years ago. I've used waterproof for years, in one form or another, due to living in rainy countries and/or practising water sports. Defected to Full & Soft when in the US (and it remains the standard against which I judge all other mascara). Alas, not available in Ireland, so moved over to various other mascaras.

Far superior to the non-turbo boost old version. Cheap enough to try out and throw away, even here - EUR 7.50 (North Americans count your blessings!). The tube doesn't last that well though - used every day, I'd count about 4 weeks' decent usage, after which it becomes dry and unpleasant. Hence 3 lippies on price and 4 all round: this works out more expensive than a mascara that is perfect for many months (ex. Clinique).

INGREDIENTS: isodecane, microcrystalline wax, c8-9 isoparaffin, beeswax, disteardimonium hectorite, carnauba wax, water, propylene carbonate, allyl stearate/va copolymer, lecithin, ethylenediamine/stearyl dimer dilinoleate copolymer, rice starch, polyvinyl laurate, sodium polymethacrylate, propylparaben, peg/ppg-17/18 dimethicone, hydrogenated jojoba oil, polyquaternium-10, silica, panthenol, calcium sodium borosilicate, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, butylparaben ( may contain ci 77492, 77491, 77499/iron oxides, ci 77891/titanium dioxide, ci 75470/carmine, ci 77007/ultramarines, ci 77288/chromium oxide greens, ci 77289/chromium hydroxide green, ci 77742/manganese violet, mica, ci 77510/ferric ferrocyanide). continued >>

on 10/26/2007 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Awesome, awesome stuff. I have dark lashes that are practically straight and like to be stubborn, meaning that they give most mascaras a run for the money. Plus, I don't like a natural look- I want to SEE my lashes, dammit. That's why I use the stuff in the first place. This is the only mascara I've repurchased faithfully, because every time I stray from it I wonder why. This baby does it all: adds volume, length, separates, holds curl, lasts all day and doesn't smudge or flake into my contact lenses, even when I apply to my bottom lashes. (Very Black is also a true dark black, not grey like Lancome mascaras are.) I can also apply 3 or even 4 coats without ending up with three wonky lashes on each eye or having to comb it forever (in fact, I almost never comb it). So, for me VETBwp is perfection in a tube and I'll keep buying it as long as they make it. It *does* take a little more effort to remove since it's WP, but I use a good bi-phase or oil-based remover and let it soak in so I'm not pulling on my lashes and I haven't noticed any breakage or loss in the last couple of years of using this.

on 4/10/2013 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I have purchased about 3 tubes of this mascara and I love it. I use waterproof mascara because I like to hold curl in my lashes. This product comes off fine with a cleansing oil. The color is very pigmented and gives the lashes a very dramatic look. I used to use MUFE smoky lash but this is a good dupe for it. I love how full and long it makes lashes look.

On my hunt to find mascaras that would build a lot of volume without flaking and irritating my eyes, I tried a million high end mascaras (for example, Benefit Bad Gal) and HATED almost all of them! Then, on a whim I tried this cheap drugstore mascara ans just fell in love with it--- it makes my lashes SO full and soft, and it doesn't irritate my eyes. Here's a pic of me wearing it:

continued >>

on 11/16/2006 8:15:00 PM

Maybelline Volum Express Turbo Boost Waterproof mascara in Very Black.

My lashes - Stick straight, so I always use a lash curler. My eyes water and my lids get oily by the end of the day. My lashes are black, so as long as the mascara comes in black, I'm satisfied.

Waterproof/Oilproof? - Mostly. No raccoon eyes generally. Slight shadow possible if I dont get rid of all traces of mu remover from the eye area or get moisturizer near the eye area; this is usually not a problem in dry weather but I notice it more in the humid/summer months.

Adds volume? - Yes. Packaging says "5x" volume, but it doesn't look nearly that dramatic :) I quickly swipe up to 5 times without letting it dry between coats.

Adds length? - Some.

Holds curl? - Yes, very well.

Removal? - Requires WP remover to take off, but it's not overly stubborn. I use Clinique's Naturally Gentle Eye Makeup Remover or a mineral-oil based remover.

Other comments - Adds a little bit more volume than the non-Turbo WP version. Lashes are soft, not brittle or hard. Dries quickly. Formula is smooth, not lumpy. Lashes don't clump unless you let dry between coats.

Overall - This is a staple item: very reliable daily mascara for me. Possibly HG status (among d/s varieties) for daily mascara and special events. continued >>

on 5/8/2013 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I have the "newer" version in the black and orange tube. I changed my review and added a lippie because I've come to like this more than before. It still isn't a favorite of mine, BUT, I love how it doesn't budge....sweat, pool....it lasts and lasts. I also noticed adding several coats quickly makes a big difference in length and volume. My first impression was not great, but it really builds to a decent mascara.

on 10/20/2004 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

DESCRIPTIONIt claims to be a volumizing mascara that plumps up lashes five times better than any other mass market mascara, including it's sibling Volume Express. It comes in a chubby tube that bulges out at the middle. The wand has a standard, straight brush.
PRICE $4.99 at Target but it is also available in a promotional pack of two (one washable, one waterproof) for $5.69 each.

COLOR I bought "Very Black", which is indeed very black. It does not dry to an unnatural matte color. It stays vivid and glossy.

VOLUMIZING AND LENGTHENING This mascara does not volumize nearly as much as it lengthens. It naturally enhances my sparse, Asian stick-straight lashes with two coats. Additional coats make for a more dramatic look. I was not blown away by the volume (which is what I was looking for in the first place) so that is one lippie off. I am still very impressed though.

CONSISTENCY AND TEXTURE The consistency is this mascara's unique trait. Unlike most waterproof mascaras, it has a light gel-like consistency. After I apply this mascara, it stays soft and touchable.

CURL HOLD This mascara tends to weigh a curl down after application but once it is dry, you can simply curl your lashes again. It holds very well.

UPDATE I just observed that this mascara seems to take so long to dry. I put on two coats and my lashes tend to stick together if I move them around. It's nothing horrible but I wouldn't repurchase this mascara anymore. Waterproof Voluminous is much better. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

If my lashes were dating, theyd be serious hoes -- theyve had more one-nighters with nameless suitors than I can count. I guess Im always on that elusive search for my HG. Even though Ive found some top performers in the bunch (L'Oral Voluminous, Yves St Laurent Faux Cils), I never found one that fit ALL my criteria. That is, until now. I even held off on reviewing until after a full two weeks of daily commitment, to make sure the results were consistent.

This is hands-down THE best mascara Ive ever used. I tried the regular version first, and was unimpressed. Whod have thought that the waterproof would be so far and above the regular in results? Not me; I got lucky because there was a bonus 2-pack (regular and a waterproof) the day I bought it. So heres what it does: adds length, thickness, and superior staying power, in a non-smudgy, flake-proof, pitch-black formula. The finished affect is more than natural, but not over-the-top. Id say its the closest to real-looking false lashes I have ever seen, if that makes any sense (dramatic, not drag queen). I do have to curl my lashes first, but this actually holds the curl the entire day. And its less than 5 bucks, to boot!! Removal must be with a waterproof remover, but there are plenty of good ones on the market. continued >>

on 10/5/2013 11:43:00 AM

been using it for 2 years with amazing results. to take it off I use garnier eye makeup remover (the blue one).

on 3/8/2013 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My 3rd favorite Maybelline mascara (Rocket volume and Colosaal are my other 2)

Nice volume and fullness and no flaking. My only gripe is that tthisi one seems to dry out fast otherwise its good!