Dermalogica Anti-Bac Medicated Cleanser

Dermalogica Anti-Bac Medicated Cleanser

3.5

Not tested on animals

on 8/3/2012 10:08:00 AM

First off I will tell you about my skin so you can even see if this post is worth you reading. My skin is combination with some acne and some congested pores so I do need something for my acne-I'm not one of those people walking around who get like 1 pimple every 6 months and over-exaggerate and tell you how horrible my skin is. No, I actually do have acne-all month long actually. I wish I would have listened to the reviews before I bought this product and subjected my poor skin to the harshness of this face wash. The first couple days it seemed to clean alright and that must have been the calm before the storm. My face broke out worse than I have ever seen-cysts, tiny bumps, tiny pimples, and redness covering my entire face. I thought I would wait it out because I have heard that if a product works then you will "purge" first, so I waited about a month and NOPE just got worse and dry for that matter-so my makeup wouldn't even stick to my face to cover it up. I thought I would use this wash because I do have some acne, and congested pores. Apparently this is for people who can handle the tea tree oil in it and I guess that person isn't me. I tried switching to the dermal clay cleanser and still too harsh-not as bad, but still leaving redness everywhere. So then, I thought my last hope would be the sensitive skin wash by dermalogica and I went up to Ulta to actually purchase it. I was looking at makeup first to maybe switch away from bare minerals (which I have used for years and love because of the great coverage) because I was looking for something with even more coverage because of how bad this stuff made my face look (yeah I know). When I was looking at makeup the sales associate asked if I needed anything and I decided to ask about the sensitive face wash I was about to purchase and I am glad I did! I told her my story and she actually suggested another product to me, which she currently used, and I looked at her face in envy because it was dewy and beautiful and mine wash dry and bumpy :( She told me that Dermalogica is actually a step-down product from topical prescriptions so it is really harsh. She actually recommended B.Right by Benefit and within a couple days my face actually looks like skin again and not like dried out red leather. Moral of the story-If you have acne and combination skin, but then also have the wild card of being sensitive this product may not be right for you. I would rather have a couple pimples compared to a hundred. I am just thankful I wised up and got away from this brand-quickly!

on 11/12/2010 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This product is VERY DRYING. In the first few days, you will see a dramatic difference if you have MINOR acne , which i had due to clogged pores. However, after prolonged use, i find it to be extremely drying and my face looks dull. Im taking a break from dermalogica. this stuff is VERY expensive, so why is it so drying? usually cheap drugstore products are extremely drying, not a 32 dollar bottle of soap. i get a sight feeling that dermalogica will do damage in the long run.

on 11/6/2010 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried a sample sachet of this and used it over 2 applications. It has quite a strong methol scent, even though it said fragrance-free. I was expecting it not to have much of a scent at all, so was a bit disappointed at that. It is a clear gel cleanser and 2 applications wasn't enough for me to see what effects it had on me. It was nothing special though and didn't particularly stand out to me. I may buy it, but really does depend on the price...

on 7/20/2010 5:16:00 PM

This is my HG cleanser for my oily and acne prone skin! I tried the starter kit for the acne skin type and this was a stand out product for me as I went on to purchase the full size. It is medicated and is very strong and has a strong fresh smell. I find if I use this twice a day it makes me dry so I only use it in the evenings and it leaves my skin feeling, clean, fresh and smooth. It has helped to control my oiliness, breakouts and shine. It has a hefty price tag but it is worth it as you only need a small amount. I find it works best if only used once a day as it will dry your skin out. I just hope my skin does not become immune to it as it has done with many other skin care products in the past!

on 6/14/2010 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Meh. Got a facial, they reccomended this to me, almost $100 AUD later i got the pump thing for this. Got home, been using it religiously for a month and can't see a difference. I love how I can use a tiny bit and it lathers up really nicely, leaves my skin slightly moisturized, feels fresh, but other than that there are no real VISIBLE differences.
If you use this, i suggest using it with the rest of the medi-bac range. I have very few spots, and this did not control oil. Can't see any results, but I can feel the superior quality (and I love the size of the bottle, i never run out!) so it's probably a re-purchase for me.

on 6/10/2010 12:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Bought this when I was a bit younger because I was desperately trying to control spots. I really thought it would help since it's expensive and seems to have such a great reputation!
My skin is quite oily but it dried me out so much! Especially around my mouth, the skin became flakey and discoloured. I tried all different things to help it out, I used only a tiny bit and only once a day but it was no help whatsoever.
I don't even know what the problem was, because I'm using another facewash now with 2% Salylic Acid and it works fine without drying, but this AntiBac stuff just made me so FLAKEY and ultimately more oily as a result. I guess it must be the combination of ingredients they use just do NOT suite me.
Had such high hopes and was really quite disappointed.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

With so many products I used before from dermalogica, I didn't know which one worked, and which didn't or whatever.

I just want to say I have used this, and recalling from my experiences when I was 14, it comes in this hygienic bottle (not upside down or whatever). I love the smell. And it felt cool?

It was probably a bit too concentrated on my face, which made it more sensitive :)

But that was from experiences, I'm eager to try it again if I've got dollars. :)

on 4/5/2010 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I moved to the city and my skin had a major breakout!
I was so depressed about it. My skin felt sunburnt and my face was swollen. Terrible breakout of adult acne.
It was really difficult because i was always complemented for having great skin that i didn't need make up.
My friend bought me this cleanser and it was AMAZING. Now i'm just left with blemishes but its clearing up :)

This product did nothing for my skin. Would not recommend it to anyone.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

UPDATE (02/02/2010): Unfortunately this cleanser was just not suitable for my face. I suspect it is the tea tree oil in this cleanser that was making my skin act so spastic. I hope I can find the receipt to return it. But if you can tolerate tea tree oil, by all means purchase it.

This is a pretty good SLES/SLS free cleanser in my opinion. You only need a small amount to clean your face, I don't apply it on my neck because I don't break out on my neck, thank goodness. I can only use this once a day because it can be pretty harsh on my skin if I use it more than once a day. At the rate I am going, this 6 or 8 ounce bottle can easily last me a year. As of right now I doubt I would repurchase since I purchased a good size bottle and it will last me into 2011. I am so not loving the price.