Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

3.8

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Extracts of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Melissa Officinalis Leaf, Quillaja Saponaria Bark, Essential Oils of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Not sure how I️ can change this in my settings but I️ am sensitive and acne prone. This product really did not agree with my skin. Made my skin very red and I️ am getting breakouts in places I️ usually do not get them. I️ ended up discontinuing the product. Def not for me.

This was the first cleanser I purchased once I decided to remove all petroleum products from my skincare regimen (which by the way is the worst thing you can apply to your skin). I used to have inflamed acne on my forehead that just wouldn’t go away. After about 3months, my skin became clear and completely acne free. This cleanser removes ALL make up and I love the Lavender which is calming on my sensitive skin. I only use half a teaspoon size at night to remove all impurities and in the mornings I rinse my face with cold water to avoid stripping my natural oils. I have been using Dermalogica for about 3years now and I get complemented on how smooth my skin is. It is a bit pricey but a 250ml bottle lasts me a whole 12months so its totally worth the splurge.

I was recommended this cleanser by a beauty therapist because I had some very mild acne. This cleanser made the problem so much worse, with my whole face breaking out. I used it for about 8 weeks (again, on the advice of a beauty therapist) who said that my skin was purging. In my ignorance, I didn't realise that the second ingredient (sodium lauryl sulphate) can be highly irritating. After seeking advice from my doctor and stopping with the cleanser, my skin is slowly healing. I contacted Dermalogica (as did the beauty therapist) about my reaction - they never replied to me and told the beauty therapist that I should buy another expensive Dermalogica product to heal the acne caused by the cleanser. Needless to say, this will be my last Dermalogica purchase.

I used to abuse my face with St. Ives Apricot Scrub and alcohol based toners. Then I got a free facial and the lady suggested I try this and it was the best advice I've ever followed. Prior to this my face would be red and bumpy and my forehead was an oil slick. This cleanser feels like it cleans your face without stripping the natural moisture of your skin. It also does an alright job at removing waterproof makeup. Within weeks of using, I noticed fewer pimples, my face became less oily and returned to normal. Now, after months of using it, I get compliments about how my skin has cleared up. Wish it was cheaper though, but totally worth the investment as you only need a pea sized amount. The right base makes for a great foundation application! If I had to nitpick, I'm not a huge fan of the lid because sometimes the product bursts out because of air bubbles or what not - I like the larger bottle with the pump.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using Special Cleansing Gel for well over seven years now, and it's the perfect cleanser for my very oily skin with eczema. It readies your skin for your next steps, including exfoliation and moisturisation. However, it's so good that you can sometimes skip all other treatments and just use it for days when you just couldn't be bothered (don't make a habit of it, though!) It lathers beautifully, and all you need is half a pump or often less. I used to pile it on and my Dermalogica therapist said there was no need, and she was absolutely right.

A absolutely love the packaging, and it's truly value for money. A large pump bottle lasts around 5 to 6 months, and I've purchased the travel-sized bottle which I've been refilling for holidays. It's incredibly secure and leak-free, and I've actually got another 2 which I use for other products.

I would never recommend this to anyone. I purchased this after reading great reviews on it but unfortunately it has caused severe acne around my chin area. It's taking more than a month to clear up damage that was caused by using this product for only two weeks. Do not buy this if you already have clear skin. It has ingredients that can trigger acne. For more information visit http://www.cosdna.com/eng/b23911940.html

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wanted to write this really quickly as a warning to those who have been recommended to use this. Now this post isn't anti-Dermalogica in general because I have used some of their products in the past and loved them. But! This post is completely and utterly anti the products targeting oily skin, including the special cleansing gel, multi active toner and active moist (oh God the active moist). I got my oily skin type professionally analysed and was told to use these products to correct. Luckily I chose to buy a pack of travel sized products to trial before buying full size. These products have completely drained the moisture from my skin as they are far too correcting. I've been using for two weeks to allow for an adjustment period and although it's great to not have a shiny t zone come midday, I now am flaky by that time instead. My skin is sore and feels as though it will crack. The whole system is all wrong and treats oily skin like a skin demon who needs to be excorcised. I expected gentle correction but instead it flipped me to the opposite problem. And can I just say that I've never experienced this with any skincare product before.

If you still would like to purchase, please save yourself the potential and highly likely regret and buy the travel pack for oily skin. It's the same price or cheaper than one full size product and allows you to make your mistake and move on.

I'm going to move onto a balm cleanser to care for my scared skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This cleanser is amazing! Let me give you some background on my skin struggle recently...
I used my friend's makeup quickly when I stayed over at her house; now, I have sensitive skin and it did not agree with her maybeline bb cream. I broke out and had horrible red and itchy patches. This went on for a week until I talked to my esthetician and she recommended this product and gave me a bunch of samples. I used the samples for a week and really noticed a difference in the redness of my skin and it balanced my skin also. I did break out a little more due to the fact that I was getting a deep clean and my skin was getting rid of all the bad stuff.

This cleanser makes your skin feel amazing, balanced, and brings back your natural glow. I would sample it first because it does have lavender oil and other oils in it that could irritate some people's though. All in all great product for me and definitely worth the splurge!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using this for 10 years and never looked back, I have no desire to ever change. You only need the tiniest bit, a bottle will last you a year. Smells lovely and fresh, and is non drying. Do yourself a favour and convert to this!

Skin: Other, Deep Dark, Not Sure

This product is great for skin that is oily or acne prone. It can be a bit drying so not so great if your skin is more on the normal side. But if you do have skin that tends to get really oily in the tzone throughout the day, then this product will make you feel like you really cleansed your face of all the dirt and greasy feeling. It is more of a "professional" products used a lot in spas and salons so the price is indicative of that.