Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

3.8

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Extracts of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Melissa Officinalis Leaf, Quillaja Saponaria Bark, Essential Oils of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

I used to abuse my face with St. Ives Apricot Scrub and alcohol based toners. Then I got a free facial and the lady suggested I try this and it was the best advice I've ever followed. Prior to this my face would be red and bumpy and my forehead was an oil slick. This cleanser feels like it cleans your face without stripping the natural moisture of your skin. It also does an alright job at removing waterproof makeup. Within weeks of using, I noticed fewer pimples, my face became less oily and returned to normal. Now, after months of using it, I get compliments about how my skin has cleared up. Wish it was cheaper though, but totally worth the investment as you only need a pea sized amount. The right base makes for a great foundation application! If I had to nitpick, I'm not a huge fan of the lid because sometimes the product bursts out because of air bubbles or what not - I like the larger bottle with the pump.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wanted to write this really quickly as a warning to those who have been recommended to use this. Now this post isn't anti-Dermalogica in general because I have used some of their products in the past and loved them. But! This post is completely and utterly anti the products targeting oily skin, including the special cleansing gel, multi active toner and active moist (oh God the active moist). I got my oily skin type professionally analysed and was told to use these products to correct. Luckily I chose to buy a pack of travel sized products to trial before buying full size. These products have completely drained the moisture from my skin as they are far too correcting. I've been using for two weeks to allow for an adjustment period and although it's great to not have a shiny t zone come midday, I now am flaky by that time instead. My skin is sore and feels as though it will crack. The whole system is all wrong and treats oily skin like a skin demon who needs to be excorcised. I expected gentle correction but instead it flipped me to the opposite problem. And can I just say that I've never experienced this with any skincare product before.

If you still would like to purchase, please save yourself the potential and highly likely regret and buy the travel pack for oily skin. It's the same price or cheaper than one full size product and allows you to make your mistake and move on.

I'm going to move onto a balm cleanser to care for my scared skin.

Skin: Other, Deep Dark, Not Sure

This product is great for skin that is oily or acne prone. It can be a bit drying so not so great if your skin is more on the normal side. But if you do have skin that tends to get really oily in the tzone throughout the day, then this product will make you feel like you really cleansed your face of all the dirt and greasy feeling. It is more of a "professional" products used a lot in spas and salons so the price is indicative of that.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using this for 10 years and never looked back, I have no desire to ever change. You only need the tiniest bit, a bottle will last you a year. Smells lovely and fresh, and is non drying. Do yourself a favour and convert to this!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This cleanser is amazing! Let me give you some background on my skin struggle recently...
I used my friend's makeup quickly when I stayed over at her house; now, I have sensitive skin and it did not agree with her maybeline bb cream. I broke out and had horrible red and itchy patches. This went on for a week until I talked to my esthetician and she recommended this product and gave me a bunch of samples. I used the samples for a week and really noticed a difference in the redness of my skin and it balanced my skin also. I did break out a little more due to the fact that I was getting a deep clean and my skin was getting rid of all the bad stuff.

This cleanser makes your skin feel amazing, balanced, and brings back your natural glow. I would sample it first because it does have lavender oil and other oils in it that could irritate some people's though. All in all great product for me and definitely worth the splurge!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Worst experience with a cleanser ever. I always thought I had bad skin.. Now I'm just looking back at pictures before I used this product wishing that I could have that skin back. Anyways, some background information. I didn't break out very much, just a few occasional pimples on the side of my cheeks and my chin. After I started using this product, my skin started breaking out severely on my cheeks and my chin, especially the right side of my chin is a mess. Pimples kept coming up and as soon as one pimple was finally dried out (still leaving a horrific red mark) there were 4 more pimples popping up in that exact same spot. Result: I've got all kinds of red marks and spots on my cheek(s) that won't or just extremely slowly fade.
When I started doing some research, I found out that there was Lavenderoil in this product, which is known for it's irritating effect on the skin.
If anyone has any tips for reducing those horrible red marks zits leave after they dry out, be welcome to share them with me because I've gotten very desperate with my skin to say the least.
Nope! Definitely a NO for me.

Overall a good cleanser. It cleans really well and leaves no residue. It works well with my cleansing brush, but can be a bit too cleansing for the brush.

I find that it leaves my skin somewhat sensitive after using it, as though my skin is almost too clean. I didn't really think that was possible until using this cleanser but it really strips all of your natural oils and you must tone and moisturise after using this cleanser. No compromises.

All in all a good cleanser but I think there are other good cleansers out there for half the price. Would not repurchase because of the price.

HG cleanser. I have been absolutely loving this stuff. It removes makeup and cleanses my face beautifully, leaving my skin smooth and clean, with zero redness, irritation, or tightness. My super sensitive, acne-prone skin couldn't ask for more. Quite expensive at £28 for the standard size, which I scooped up at a local spa. I have gone through endless cleansers, from high end to drugstore, oils to gels, and everything in between, and I can't see myself switching from this until they stop making it. I use it in conjunction with a wash cloth for best results and have been following up with moisturisers from Eucerin morning and night.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This was my favourite cleanser for my oily and acne prone years, but my needs have changed and it's not as wowing for my now dry skin. A little goes a long way and I enjoyed the texture which offered good slip and cushioning for a gentle massage. It lathers well and rinses nicely. Also pairs wonderfully with Dermalogica pre-cleanse, but really you could use any decent cleansing oil then use this as a second cleanse. I wouldn't say it's gentle as it's very effective at cleansing sebum and dirt. It could be drying at times, especially in winter or if I didn't moisturise straight after.

It's pricey but I think Dermalogica has well curated lines, so if the large bottle is too expensive I'd suggest buying a pack of deluxe sample sized products in the line (cleanser, exfoliant, moisture, lip balm) for half the price of one full sized. It was much more economical for my student budget and the 50mL cleanser alone would last 2 months of twice daily use. I'll happily repurchase if my skin ever becomes oily, combination or acne prone again.

I'm so sad that I have nothing positive to say about this cleanser. I purchased it from a boutique, after being told it is a very gentle, and mild, every day cleanser. They only had the large bottle ($69 CAD) available. Because I've never had problems with a daily face wash before, I did buy it regardless of the price.

I have normal to oily/combination skin. it's not sensitive to ANY THING, and I very rarely if ever get dry patches on my cheeks and etc. This cleanser was awful.

It started out leaving my skin feeling very clean, but I saw no changes at all. A few days later, I didn't notice any difference in my skin still. If anything, it looked a bit worse. Pores more noticable, and my makeup was not going on nice and smoothly as it had before. Come up to a week and my skin is now feeling dry, and dusty. I have horrible red blotches from irritation. If I run my fingers over my skin, it feels horrible. My makeup looked awful, because my skin was so dried out.

I've never, ever had such a bad experience. Especially not with a brand name like dermalogica. Do yourself a favour, and go for literally any face wash on the market. Any soap can get your skin clean, but this doesn't benefit your skin in any way.