Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

3.8

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Extracts of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Melissa Officinalis Leaf, Quillaja Saponaria Bark, Essential Oils of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

I don't see what all the hype is about. I've been on a search for months for the perfect cleanser for my oily and acne prone skin. A friend recommended this and I bought the travel size and used it three times. The first time I tried to take my make up off with it and it barely rubbed off any eyebrow gel. I still had full on eye make up after going over twice. I had to grab an old Noxzema under my sink and it all washed right off. Hours after the second time I noticed a pimple coming in on the side of my nose where I never break out. The third day my face was an oil pit so this is definitely better for someone with dry skin. The majority of cleansers take my make up off just fine without makeup remover and I just can't see myself buying a $40.00 cleanser that can't even wipe off brow gel or eye shadow. I wasn't expecting it to remove waterproof mascara but seriously not even light beige eye shadow? Feels like a very cheap drugstore cleanser and reminds me a lot of the Alba Botanica Natural Acnedote Deep Pore Wash.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

In a time when most shampoo and shower cream manufacturers move away from Sulphates, SLS (Sodium laurel Sulphate) and SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulphate) and it’s likes and make their cleansing products Sulphate free due to sulphates these days documented destructive ability to create long term (sometimes chronic) dryness of skin, dried out hair, causing skin irritation and itchiness just to name a few of the problems with sulphates - It feels a bit strange when you see a well merited skincare brand like dermalogica base one of their best selling face cleansers on said Sulphates... (see ingredient list above for details).

Sodium laureth Sulphates is actually the main ingredient besides water in Special cleansing gel... To really excel in Sulphates dermalogica also added another Sulphate, Sodium trideceth Sulphate to its cleanser...

Now the market USP of this cleanser is that it is a “lathering cleansing gel” that is “soap free”, indicating that soap supposedly is something bad for you... ?!
This means the special cleansing gel does not contain the in comparison with Sulphates completely harmless ingredients of soap, like oils and lye and in worst case the horribly dangerous (not) ingredient glycerine for instance. ;) Because we would not want to put any of that onto our skins now, would we...???!
Now the weird thing is that the only thing you can add to a soap compound that will be bad for skin, but that can help a soapy formula to lather up real good is, you guessed it; Sulphates!!! But now if you don’t want to use oil and lye to make the soap saponify you will have to use Even more of the chemical that brings the bubbles, but also the harm to skin... Enter extra many Sulphates...

In my humble opinion, there are so many really good cleansers of all kinds gels, creams, milks, and even lathering ones without Sulphates on the market today so I really don’t see any reason what so ever to use a facial cleanser that pretty much is made solely of sulphates... Also if you are the least environmentally interested it might also be good to know that Mother Nature cannot break down sulphates which means that when we use it on our faces or in our hair it then washes out into our waters and affects the sea life and the eco system there for eternity, making it harder for our eco systems and fish to survive...

If you want a similar in texture but truly mild cleanser that completely washes off with no residue but that doesn’t wreak havoc on our skins long term or our oceans but doesn’t lather a favourite of mine is the triple cleanser from Alpha-H. It does not remove make up as efficiently, but works great in the morning or as a second cleanse at night if you really want to be able to remove excess cleanser after make up removal!

This is my favorite cleanser. At first I wasn't sure about it because it feels a bit odd. It is also pricey but a little goes a long way. I purchase when I have a 20 % off or some other perk from Dermalogica

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Not sure how I️ can change this in my settings but I️ am sensitive and acne prone. This product really did not agree with my skin. Made my skin very red and I️ am getting breakouts in places I️ usually do not get them. I️ ended up discontinuing the product. Def not for me.

This was the first cleanser I purchased once I decided to remove all petroleum products from my skincare regimen (which by the way is the worst thing you can apply to your skin). I used to have inflamed acne on my forehead that just wouldn’t go away. After about 3months, my skin became clear and completely acne free. This cleanser removes ALL make up and I love the Lavender which is calming on my sensitive skin. I only use half a teaspoon size at night to remove all impurities and in the mornings I rinse my face with cold water to avoid stripping my natural oils. I have been using Dermalogica for about 3years now and I get complemented on how smooth my skin is. It is a bit pricey but a 250ml bottle lasts me a whole 12months so its totally worth the splurge.

I was recommended this cleanser by a beauty therapist because I had some very mild acne. This cleanser made the problem so much worse, with my whole face breaking out. I used it for about 8 weeks (again, on the advice of a beauty therapist) who said that my skin was purging. In my ignorance, I didn't realise that the second ingredient (sodium lauryl sulphate) can be highly irritating. After seeking advice from my doctor and stopping with the cleanser, my skin is slowly healing. I contacted Dermalogica (as did the beauty therapist) about my reaction - they never replied to me and told the beauty therapist that I should buy another expensive Dermalogica product to heal the acne caused by the cleanser. Needless to say, this will be my last Dermalogica purchase.

I would never recommend this to anyone. I purchased this after reading great reviews on it but unfortunately it has caused severe acne around my chin area. It's taking more than a month to clear up damage that was caused by using this product for only two weeks. Do not buy this if you already have clear skin. It has ingredients that can trigger acne. For more information visit http://www.cosdna.com/eng/b23911940.html

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using Special Cleansing Gel for well over seven years now, and it's the perfect cleanser for my very oily skin with eczema. It readies your skin for your next steps, including exfoliation and moisturisation. However, it's so good that you can sometimes skip all other treatments and just use it for days when you just couldn't be bothered (don't make a habit of it, though!) It lathers beautifully, and all you need is half a pump or often less. I used to pile it on and my Dermalogica therapist said there was no need, and she was absolutely right.

A absolutely love the packaging, and it's truly value for money. A large pump bottle lasts around 5 to 6 months, and I've purchased the travel-sized bottle which I've been refilling for holidays. It's incredibly secure and leak-free, and I've actually got another 2 which I use for other products.

I used to abuse my face with St. Ives Apricot Scrub and alcohol based toners. Then I got a free facial and the lady suggested I try this and it was the best advice I've ever followed. Prior to this my face would be red and bumpy and my forehead was an oil slick. This cleanser feels like it cleans your face without stripping the natural moisture of your skin. It also does an alright job at removing waterproof makeup. Within weeks of using, I noticed fewer pimples, my face became less oily and returned to normal. Now, after months of using it, I get compliments about how my skin has cleared up. Wish it was cheaper though, but totally worth the investment as you only need a pea sized amount. The right base makes for a great foundation application! If I had to nitpick, I'm not a huge fan of the lid because sometimes the product bursts out because of air bubbles or what not - I like the larger bottle with the pump.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wanted to write this really quickly as a warning to those who have been recommended to use this. Now this post isn't anti-Dermalogica in general because I have used some of their products in the past and loved them. But! This post is completely and utterly anti the products targeting oily skin, including the special cleansing gel, multi active toner and active moist (oh God the active moist). I got my oily skin type professionally analysed and was told to use these products to correct. Luckily I chose to buy a pack of travel sized products to trial before buying full size. These products have completely drained the moisture from my skin as they are far too correcting. I've been using for two weeks to allow for an adjustment period and although it's great to not have a shiny t zone come midday, I now am flaky by that time instead. My skin is sore and feels as though it will crack. The whole system is all wrong and treats oily skin like a skin demon who needs to be excorcised. I expected gentle correction but instead it flipped me to the opposite problem. And can I just say that I've never experienced this with any skincare product before.

If you still would like to purchase, please save yourself the potential and highly likely regret and buy the travel pack for oily skin. It's the same price or cheaper than one full size product and allows you to make your mistake and move on.

I'm going to move onto a balm cleanser to care for my scared skin.