NARS Charade Duo

NARS Charade Duo

4.3

on 12/8/2015 11:01:00 AM

There is something about this duo that makes me think to myself, "These colors will make me look ill." Then, after I put it on, I am like "Oh hello I am a midcentury European vixen. Hand me my Gauloises."

Charade is composed of a salmony pink and a dusty plum. They are warm shades masquerading as cool, meaning if you (like I) are struggling with an internal backlash against warm neutral palettes, yet the cooler toned ones make your eyes look soulless and dead, there is a solution for you. They are not fully opaque but can be built up to their full smooth, buttery, gauzy potential. Not totally matte, there will be a (very) slight satin sheen on your lids. In my opinion, they perform like a neutral on the eye and wear well with a lot of looks...though I prefer to wear Charade with a light pink lip (MAC Faux usually), black liquid liner, and an F-ton of mascara. This is more of a winter look for me, simply because it will actually show up on my light olive winter complexion.

I am a huge fan of the Nars duos. They're still kickin' in this day and age of huge palettes, all adorable and finely curated, ready to lend a whole vibe to your face.

on 6/13/2014 5:10:00 PM

I have fair skin and green eyes and I use this duo all the time. It's one of my favorites

Great for everyday wear for those of us who choose not to jump on the beige-and-brown bandwagon. Sheer, lovely and dependable.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is my fifth Nars eyeshadow purchase. I have fair, warm skin, blonde hair, and green eyes. At first glance, most makeup artists assume that I need lavender and violet shadows, but the coolness of those colors makes me look like a white rabbit that has been crying. I really need subtle and warm-toned makeup. Charade has two matte colors, mauve and plum. These are warm colors, but not too orange/red or bright. There is no glitter or shimmer, which is really refreshing. Together they create a subtle, romantic, pretty eye look. The contrast really makes my eyes look greener. As with most Nars shadows, the color applies smoothly and evenly and can be built up for greater intensity, and it never creases. If brights or icy cools wash you out but you'd like a colorful yet wearable look, I highly recommend Charade.

on 8/30/2013 8:56:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

My fav Nars duo! & I have a ton.

This one's amazing w/ my very dark brown eyes. It's also surprisingly wearable... Is pretty subtle (doesn't scream makeup) & isn't too dark yet makes my eyes pop. Versatile too as I use it like a neutral.

I like pairing this w/ clear red gel blush (Nars Beverly Hills tint stick.)

on 12/5/2011 2:36:00 AM

simply delicious buttery formula. i use the dusty lilac color more than the soft salmon pink shade, but both are great for everyday looks. i use them to blend out darker colors through the crease because i tend to go for a smokier eye look, but i also sweep them all over my lids and pop a sultry shade in my outer corners sometimes. i would wear them alone, but i notice that they do fade throughout the day.

on 8/26/2011 12:32:00 AM

I love this duo, the color payoff is great and they really compliment my brown eyes and brown hair. This duo is great for a day look at work, but easily transitions in to a great night look with more dramatic eye liner. love it!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My first foray into Nars eyeshadows and I decided to go with a matte duo because I find that those are often the trickiest textures to get right. I also wanted to compare them to my MAC mattes (Omega, Charcoal Brown, Quarry and Copperplate) because I love them to death. To be completely honest...I think the Nars shades are better. Great color payoff for muted colors-one brush swipe for each color was all I needed-and lovely to blend. The pinky color is more pigmented than the purple, but they look fantastic together with a little bit of a shimmery cream color on the inner corner and as a highlight. Very natural, but with a darker smokey look to it. I think this is definitely going to be a go-to duo for Fall and I will undoubtedly pick up a few more Nars eyeshadows. They are expensive ($33), but they're a great value!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this duo because I'm really into wishy washy colours that are muted but still in the purple family. I found that with a "clear" base such as Urban Decay or Too Faced, the colours are a greyed out version of what they are in the pan. BUT over a purple base like MAC's mauvism paint, NYX's stick concealer in lavender, or any cream eyeshadow, the colours are much more apparent. I would say over a purple base, the purple side looks very similar (softer) to MAC's memorabilia and slightly more purple than the infamous dove feather from mac. The pink side has a slight sheen. Overall both colours are really easy to blend, and are soft yet pigmented colours.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I love this eye shadows, and it is something i can wear everyday, this shadows can also be layers to get smokey eyes, but i would also use a little more color with it.