Clairol Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by eye Color : Green

2.9

May Contain All or Some of the Following Ingredients: Water, Ethoxydiglycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Triethylsilylamodimethicone, PEG-50 Tallow Amide, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Fragrance, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Flower Extract, Tocopherol Acetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Glycerin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Citric Acid, Lauryl Glucoside, Erythorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20

I got this product to test out a color on my hair. I have long, thin, very very fine brown hair. I used the Advanced Gray Solution formula in Mahogany Red Brown even though I don't have gray to cover. I loved it. It did not leave any waxy residue on my hair, or did it dry it out, or leave it corse. It comes out shiny, smelling good, very soft, and perfect. I leave it on for 45mins - 1 hour. I rub it into my scalp and then put it up in a cap. I wash my hair daily so this only lasts about a week for me, but my hair looks amazing the entire time.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had been using several different box semi-perm colors and they all dried hair out and were too red. I bought a bottle of this at Sally Beauty Supply. It blends my grays nicely and medium warm brown looks very natural on me. My own natural golden highlights show through.

The Clairol web site says it only last for approximately12 shampoos. I can shampoo once a week and use dry shampoo between. (It makes the color last longer.) My hair stylist commented that my hair was soft and nicely colored! I just bought 6 bottles on sale at Sally. Should last me about 6 months or more. It's very easy to apply and one bottle covers my thick, shoulder length hair.

I picked this up to dye a student's hair for a play (I'm a theatre teacher). I mixed one bottle of Rosewood Brown (level 3) with two bottles of Medium Warm Brown (also level 3) in my own applicator bottle. The resulting color was absolutely gorgeous! It turned out to be a medium-dark auburn -- a little more red than I had wanted, but it still turned out very well. I can't speak to lasting power yet, but will find out when I see her again in three days. We only need it to stay in her hair for three evenings for the play.

I used level 3, medium ash brown.
My hair is a mess. I used to have dyed black hair, lifted it all the way to platinum blonde. My hair has major breakage so I'm staying away from hair dyes mixed with peroxide. If I lose anymore hair, I will be rocking a mullet. My hair is so annoying. I decided to go back to dark hair, give my hair a rest. Going from blonde to brown was simple but after each wash, my hair looks horrible. I got 3 inches of dark brown roots, my regrowth holds the brown dye no problem and of course the fried/used to be blonde hair won't hold hair dyes. I can't keep dying it either, I'll have no hair left. I bought this Clairol product from a hair store. I like it but not in love with it. I put a cap on my head and put a lot of heat on my hair too. It did do the trick by making my lighter hair match up to my dark brown roots so it looks all evened out now BUT (I only have one complaint) my hair feels very waxy. It's very conflicting. I read the reviews on here about this product. A few ladies said don't wash the rinse out until the water is completely clear or you'll wash it right out. I'm not sure if they know what they're talking about... I took that advice and my hair just feels so waxy. Maybe I should of washed a little bit more? Or maybe this is how the rinse makes your hair feel? I don't know. But my hair does look one solid color now which is nice to see when I've been having super dark roots and lighter ends for the last month. I will settle with the waxy feeling and keep using it until I find a better product! Waxy hair is better than peroxide treated hair dye that just makes my hair snap.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Oh, boy. I have thin, fine hair. I loved the color I got, which was a touch darker than the description, typical of semi-perm colors. But the waxiness, holy candle-head, Batman! I have washed for times and my hair is still coated.

By the time the waxiness is gone, the color will be too, since it has already lightened considerably. So this product doesn't work for me. I'm thinking it may be good for someone with coarse and/ or damaged hair, someone who does need a solid coating on his or her hair. Because of this possibility, and because the color really did come out pretty and natural-looking, I gave it two stars rather than one even though I personally won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Curly, Other

I used heat, kept this stuff on for an hour, and my hair was as per photo before I started (natural). This was two days ago. I just washed my hair with a gentle shampoo and watched half the color (champagne) go down the drain. After the next shampoo, it should be all gone. What a disappointment. Now I need deep conditioning, and will have to wait until all this comes out, including the wax or whatever. Weeks?

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I did not like this product at all. I put it in and left it in like it said and I have dyed my hair many times. I put it in and liked the color, but it deposited a weird substance on my hair and the color had rinsed out in about 2 days. I don't recommend.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

At first, I loved this product. I used the red brown. The color was so beautiful. The color lasted about 3 to 4 days only.
My hair fell out for 3 weeks. I went to two doctors. I had my thyroid, testosterone tested. Everything good. I used the semi again. 3 more weeks of hair just falling out by root. Terrible itching. I went to dermatologist. He didn't think it would be the dye. He said a temp shedding from stress. I once again used it again because I loved the color. AGAIN, hair falling out. Needless to say..NO MORE! I was wondering if anyone can help me with a red brown color. I would rather semi perm. Not a violet red. a red brown. thanks!

I was so disappointed in this product. I thought, terrific, no mixing, no fuss. Well once I colored, dryed and styled my hair, I thought it was awful. It left a waxy, horrid residue in my hair. That stayed in my hair for more than a week, and I needed to use clarifying shampoo several times. After that it just faded to an unattractive brass color. I used Rosewood, which is the shade I use in Natural Instincts, but the results were so different. I'm going back to NI, which leaves my hair beautiful, shiny, and richly colored for a full six weeks. How hard is it to mix two items, after all.

This doesn't last very long but it's very moisturizing. I mix it with my conditioner for a custom color enhancing/prolonging effect. I use permanent red hair dye every few weeks and this keeps my color looking fresher and my hair healthier between colorings.

UPDATE 6/2010: I had to laugh when I saw I had reviewed this back in 2005. When I started using this last Fall (2009), I had no idea I had ever tried it before and this time around my opinion of it is totally different, as is my use. I began using it because I wanted to go red without having to process my hair with permanent dye. I used this in 4R - Mahogany Red Brown from the Grey Solutions line because I am prematurely greying. This made my hair so incredibly soft and shiny and it covered my greys completely without ever fading. I only needed to recolor when my roots began to show, which is amazing for a semi-permanent. The color was very multi-dimensional and my greys tended to turn a slightly brighter irredescent red, creating a very pretty highlighted effect. It never seemed to damage my hair much at all. For the application, I always applied it to my entire head (dry hair) and then placed a processing cap over it. I used my hairdryer to add heat, but since this is tedious without a bonnet dryer, I only did this step for about 10 minutes and then chilled for about an hour with the cap still on before jumping in the shower. Even though I only applied the heat for 10 minutes, I did notice that my color result was more vibrant and red if I did this step. Be prepared to rinse really really well for a long time and use a dark colored towel, because the color will bleed for at least the first 3 times you wash your hair after coloring. I felt this was expected from a semi-permanent and a small price to pay for the results.

My only caveat, and it's a big one, is that recently I decided to go back to blonde and this hair color was IMPOSSIBLE to remove, a testament to its long-lasting nature. So if you think you may want to change colors or go lighter at some point after using this, be prepared for serious bleaching. Please see my review of the Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment for the ordeal I went through to get this color out!

Popular Hair Color Products