Clairol Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin type : Normal

3.5

May Contain All or Some of the Following Ingredients: Water, Ethoxydiglycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Triethylsilylamodimethicone, PEG-50 Tallow Amide, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Fragrance, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Flower Extract, Tocopherol Acetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Glycerin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Citric Acid, Lauryl Glucoside, Erythorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I got this to tone down the red in my light brown hair. I got the light ash brown color. I saturated my hair with it (used a bottle and a half) and left it on for an hour. It darkened my hair a bit, but it made it much redder. Definitely *not* ash brown.

I really liked this product, the price isn't bad but I think it should be slightly cheaper. (I bought mine at Sally's). My hair was pretty damaged when I used this but surprisingly it was really moisturizing and seemed to improve the quality of my hair. The results came out nicely, it looks natural, and even colored. I left the dye on for 25 minutes without any issues with it dripping. Although your hair does need to be towel dried before putting this on your hair. If you don't then it's much more difficult to apply and you use way more of the product. I used the color rosewood brown.

I purchased the black Clairol Professional advanced gray solution, washed my hair as directed and used the entire bottle. After the allotted time adding 5 minutes rinsed my hair. My gray is now a light brown color. I would not recommend this at all to anyone!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for something to add some warmth to my hair which was a neutral level 3 brown at the roots and a little lighter at the ends. I didn't want to use anything with ammonia or peroxide because my hair had been bleached in the past and I was looking for something that would not damage my hair any more. This stuff worked great. I used Cedar red Brown, a level 4, because I did not want to go any darker than I already was. It came out exactly how I wanted, adding a red tint to my hair, and giving it a warm reddish glow in the light. I applied it to my roots first then pulled it through the ends for the last five minutes because my ends are dry and often drink up too much color. It worked perfectly. My hair is only slightly darker, still a level three, which is to be expected with a deposit only color. Anyone using this color will NOT be able to go lighter because it does not contain ammonia or peroxide.
A few people on here complained about feeling a waxy substance left behind but I had no such experience. It did take a long time to rinse out (more than I am used to) but afterward my hair felt so soft and was so shiny! My only complaint is that it was a little drippy since it is not very thick, but as long as you know that ahead of time and are prepared you will be all set.
In the past I have used natural instincts and other drug store brand semi-permanent hair colors to liven up my neutral brown locks but they always came out much darker that I wanted and did not provide the beautiful red hue I was looking for. This stuff did so without overly darkening my hair and I am excited to try another color in a month or so

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I use the Advanced Gray Solution and I really like it. To get a color I like, I have to mix one bottle of light golden chestnut with two bottles of rich dark brown. I use the mixed solution on my roots every two weeks. Three bottles last about two months. I apply the product to dry hair then I use a hair coloring brush to even out the application along my roots. I put on a hair cap and leave it on for over an hour. Then I wash my hair using Quantum Beautiful Browns shampoo and condition. It seems to build up with every application so that applying to my roots is sufficient.

My hair grows really fast and I need to color my roots every two to three weeks anyway. Even with a demi-permanentnt hair color, my hair was getting very damaged. My hairdresser said she could tell from my hair when I switched to this hair color because my hair is in better condition closer to my scalp. I really like it because my hair seems to be very easily damaged and I needed a solution to cover my fast growing gray hair without damaging my hair further.

Update: 1/12/2013
I just called Clairol to see why they suggest applying this to damp hair, and she said it helps it adhere better and the color will last longer. She also said the difference between the regular Beautiful collection and the Advanced Gray Solution, is the AGS has the added ingredient toulene in the form of Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate. She assured me that toulene will not damage my hair at all, but I wonder if I should switch to the regular Beautiful collection.

Update 11/23/2013

I no longer use this, I find Wella Charm demi-permanent from Sally's is much better and lasts longer.

I just colored with "Light Golden Chestnut." I have a bright red scalp.

I started dying my hair about a year ago, as my grays were starting to bother me, so my hairdresser recommended a semi permanent dye, as my hair is very fine and REALLY delicate. Anyway, I was spending $85 every two months, and I wanted to find an affordable alternative, to doing this. I really didn't want to ruin my hair either. After doing extensive research, for weeks and weeks, I decided to use this product. My hair is medium-dark brown, and I want to blend the grays, instead of dying them dark brown. Currently, when my fancy hair-dresser color fades, the grays turn into a very light blond. I'm fine with blond, in fact, I like it. Anyway, I tried this dye tonight, and I added it to about 1/4 of a cup my cheapo conditioner that I had in the bathroom. The thickening of the dye made the application a LOT easier. It was still messy, but not terrible. I applied it first to my roots, and then put some on the ends anyway. I set it under a blow dryer for 10 minutes, and then let it set for another 30 minutes. I washed it out and it looks amazing. My hair is super soft and there are no signs of gray. I only wash my hair twice per week, and I hope to do this once a month (I only used 1/2 of the $6 bottle of dye-score!), so I hope it lasts a few weeks. I can't even tell I dyed my hair, but there are no grays in sight. Yay! I hope it lasts :) My hair is super delicate and baby fine, so I am so happy that nothing appears to be damaged or broken. Yay!

Update: It has been two weeks and the color has almost entirely washed out. I'm going to try Wella Color Charm next...

I used level 3, medium ash brown.
My hair is a mess. I used to have dyed black hair, lifted it all the way to platinum blonde. My hair has major breakage so I'm staying away from hair dyes mixed with peroxide. If I lose anymore hair, I will be rocking a mullet. My hair is so annoying. I decided to go back to dark hair, give my hair a rest. Going from blonde to brown was simple but after each wash, my hair looks horrible. I got 3 inches of dark brown roots, my regrowth holds the brown dye no problem and of course the fried/used to be blonde hair won't hold hair dyes. I can't keep dying it either, I'll have no hair left. I bought this Clairol product from a hair store. I like it but not in love with it. I put a cap on my head and put a lot of heat on my hair too. It did do the trick by making my lighter hair match up to my dark brown roots so it looks all evened out now BUT (I only have one complaint) my hair feels very waxy. It's very conflicting. I read the reviews on here about this product. A few ladies said don't wash the rinse out until the water is completely clear or you'll wash it right out. I'm not sure if they know what they're talking about... I took that advice and my hair just feels so waxy. Maybe I should of washed a little bit more? Or maybe this is how the rinse makes your hair feel? I don't know. But my hair does look one solid color now which is nice to see when I've been having super dark roots and lighter ends for the last month. I will settle with the waxy feeling and keep using it until I find a better product! Waxy hair is better than peroxide treated hair dye that just makes my hair snap.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Oh, boy. I have thin, fine hair. I loved the color I got, which was a touch darker than the description, typical of semi-perm colors. But the waxiness, holy candle-head, Batman! I have washed for times and my hair is still coated.

By the time the waxiness is gone, the color will be too, since it has already lightened considerably. So this product doesn't work for me. I'm thinking it may be good for someone with coarse and/ or damaged hair, someone who does need a solid coating on his or her hair. Because of this possibility, and because the color really did come out pretty and natural-looking, I gave it two stars rather than one even though I personally won't be repurchasing.

This review is for Clairol Beautiful Collection B01N Level 7 Champagne (blond). I'm a guy with fine wavy dark blond hair about 30% gray, 3" long on top, 1/4" long on sides. All virgin growth, all I do is wash and brush/comb, no styling products, no heat, no previous color treatments, natural color is 7N.

There are almost no men's coloring products out there for blonds - they are all brown and black shades - so this was one of 2 products recommended by the chick at Sally Beauty. I wanted something without lift, because my previous 2 experiences with permanent color made my hair look red and brassy as it faded.

This stuff went on easily and not too drippy - I only needed 1/3 of the bottle for my short hair. I left it on for 25 minutes, no heat, as directions suggest. The initial result is a flat mouse brown - I think Clairol should rename this shade 'Librarian Blonde." The waxy thing others note on here, I experienced as a stiffening of my hair, making it harder to style. If I go by what others here tell, I expect it to fade within days (I wash daily). I'll update after awhile.

Update 2 weeks later: My hair looks a lot more healthy now that the color has faded. Hair's softer now too. The dye made my hair stiff and sorta dull looking until it washed out. The color only covered the gray for 2 washings - by the 3rd washing, the color was gone from the gray. Looks like I gotta try something else.

Pros: Easy to apply, inexpensive
Cons: Color off by a full shade (too dark), made hair stiff and dull, covered gray for only 2 washings.

Popular Hair Color Products