Clairol Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Hair Color

3.5

May Contain All or Some of the Following Ingredients: Water, Ethoxydiglycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Triethylsilylamodimethicone, PEG-50 Tallow Amide, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Fragrance, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Flower Extract, Tocopherol Acetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Glycerin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Citric Acid, Lauryl Glucoside, Erythorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20

I have never been so furiously dissatisfied with a product as I am with this innocuous little five dollar bottle. I will go back to regular drugstore kits or professional jobs for good after this. I don't know what happened, because so many of the reviews here are positive and so many people surely can't be wrong but after applying this stuff (in Rosewood, if that matters) to my shampooed, towel-dried hair and leaving for 25 minutes under a shower cap, I had nothing more than a head covered in red wax that refused to come off. I rinsed for 30 minutes in the shower, trying to get the blood-red stuff to come out, but in the end the horrible deposit remained. It was like I had melted a candle on my head. Of course, no amount of water will remove wax. I got out and dried it, thinking some melting miracle might occur, but it only became dry wax. I could twist my hair into outlandish positions even though it was completely dry, but that wasn't exactly what I was going for. So in desperation I shampooed it three times, and still it had only slightly improved. My hair refused to dry naturally, it was so covered in crap. And what's more, after shampooing, only a trace of color remained - just the trusty ol' gunk. I think my hair is actually less red than before. I ran my fingers through my hair and they had this ridiculous waxy sheen to them. I had a nightmarish vision of being transformed into a human-shaped votive. In the end, I spent 3 hours trying to get it out and I still feel like my head has been lightly brushed in Crisco. Hmm, maybe I'll go stick my head in the oven until it's a golden brown. Or attach a wick to my forehead and enter a school play. Oh, what did I do to deserve this horrible helmet? And what's more, my once-healthy scalp is itching. Next I will be breaking out in sores and my house will burn down. Do a strand test, or stay away. Augh!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I use the Advanced Gray Solution and I really like it. To get a color I like, I have to mix one bottle of light golden chestnut with two bottles of rich dark brown. I use the mixed solution on my roots every two weeks. Three bottles last about two months. I apply the product to dry hair then I use a hair coloring brush to even out the application along my roots. I put on a hair cap and leave it on for over an hour. Then I wash my hair using Quantum Beautiful Browns shampoo and condition. It seems to build up with every application so that applying to my roots is sufficient.

My hair grows really fast and I need to color my roots every two to three weeks anyway. Even with a demi-permanentnt hair color, my hair was getting very damaged. My hairdresser said she could tell from my hair when I switched to this hair color because my hair is in better condition closer to my scalp. I really like it because my hair seems to be very easily damaged and I needed a solution to cover my fast growing gray hair without damaging my hair further.

Update: 1/12/2013
I just called Clairol to see why they suggest applying this to damp hair, and she said it helps it adhere better and the color will last longer. She also said the difference between the regular Beautiful collection and the Advanced Gray Solution, is the AGS has the added ingredient toulene in the form of Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate. She assured me that toulene will not damage my hair at all, but I wonder if I should switch to the regular Beautiful collection.

Update 11/23/2013

I no longer use this, I find Wella Charm demi-permanent from Sally's is much better and lasts longer.

This review is for Clairol Beautiful Collection B01N Level 7 Champagne (blond). I'm a guy with fine wavy dark blond hair about 30% gray, 3" long on top, 1/4" long on sides. All virgin growth, all I do is wash and brush/comb, no styling products, no heat, no previous color treatments, natural color is 7N.

There are almost no men's coloring products out there for blonds - they are all brown and black shades - so this was one of 2 products recommended by the chick at Sally Beauty. I wanted something without lift, because my previous 2 experiences with permanent color made my hair look red and brassy as it faded.

This stuff went on easily and not too drippy - I only needed 1/3 of the bottle for my short hair. I left it on for 25 minutes, no heat, as directions suggest. The initial result is a flat mouse brown - I think Clairol should rename this shade 'Librarian Blonde." The waxy thing others note on here, I experienced as a stiffening of my hair, making it harder to style. If I go by what others here tell, I expect it to fade within days (I wash daily). I'll update after awhile.

Update 2 weeks later: My hair looks a lot more healthy now that the color has faded. Hair's softer now too. The dye made my hair stiff and sorta dull looking until it washed out. The color only covered the gray for 2 washings - by the 3rd washing, the color was gone from the gray. Looks like I gotta try something else.

Pros: Easy to apply, inexpensive
Cons: Color off by a full shade (too dark), made hair stiff and dull, covered gray for only 2 washings.

Eyes: Violet

I decided to try this out after my hair turned to straw from Radiance Colorgloss. I used the Cedar Red Brown shade over already red brown hair, and it turned out lovely. I used it straight on dry hair and then blow dried it for a while. It's been two weeks, and the red still seems to be there. What impressed me was the silkiness of my hair following the treatment. There was no dryness whatsoever, and the texture was excellent. Perhaps the absence of peroxide and ammonia make for a gentler product. Of course, the trade-off is that Beautiful is not strong enough to truly cover grey or serious roots. But if you want to give a nice vibrance to your color without destroying your hair you should definitely look into this product. We'll see how long it lasts...

Maybe I had some kind of allergic reaction to this, but it induced hair loss. I have never had that happen with a product before, so I was really shocked...going back to using ION semi which I have never had a problem with...
=(

I just colored with "Light Golden Chestnut." I have a bright red scalp.

I love this stuff. I used the shade Cedar Red Brown, and it is the perfect shade of red for my very pale skin tone. The formula is very moisturizing, and my hair was very shiny and soft after the process, but I did also put on some It's A 10. I see people commenting on a "waxy" feel that was left on their hair, but that was not a problem with me. I put on some of my conditioner after I rinsed the color out, and that fixed it. My hair had been highlighted a few months ago, and because this is a glazed, the color had so pretty, and it had a gorgeous depth. I would highly recommend this product for anyone who wants to change their color, but keep their hair healthy. I also was to say that is product could never lift the hair to a lighter shade than it already is because it has no peroxide. This is basically a color glaze.

I started dying my hair about a year ago, as my grays were starting to bother me, so my hairdresser recommended a semi permanent dye, as my hair is very fine and REALLY delicate. Anyway, I was spending $85 every two months, and I wanted to find an affordable alternative, to doing this. I really didn't want to ruin my hair either. After doing extensive research, for weeks and weeks, I decided to use this product. My hair is medium-dark brown, and I want to blend the grays, instead of dying them dark brown. Currently, when my fancy hair-dresser color fades, the grays turn into a very light blond. I'm fine with blond, in fact, I like it. Anyway, I tried this dye tonight, and I added it to about 1/4 of a cup my cheapo conditioner that I had in the bathroom. The thickening of the dye made the application a LOT easier. It was still messy, but not terrible. I applied it first to my roots, and then put some on the ends anyway. I set it under a blow dryer for 10 minutes, and then let it set for another 30 minutes. I washed it out and it looks amazing. My hair is super soft and there are no signs of gray. I only wash my hair twice per week, and I hope to do this once a month (I only used 1/2 of the $6 bottle of dye-score!), so I hope it lasts a few weeks. I can't even tell I dyed my hair, but there are no grays in sight. Yay! I hope it lasts :) My hair is super delicate and baby fine, so I am so happy that nothing appears to be damaged or broken. Yay!

Update: It has been two weeks and the color has almost entirely washed out. I'm going to try Wella Color Charm next...

This doesn't last very long but it's very moisturizing. I mix it with my conditioner for a custom color enhancing/prolonging effect. I use permanent red hair dye every few weeks and this keeps my color looking fresher and my hair healthier between colorings.

UPDATE 6/2010: I had to laugh when I saw I had reviewed this back in 2005. When I started using this last Fall (2009), I had no idea I had ever tried it before and this time around my opinion of it is totally different, as is my use. I began using it because I wanted to go red without having to process my hair with permanent dye. I used this in 4R - Mahogany Red Brown from the Grey Solutions line because I am prematurely greying. This made my hair so incredibly soft and shiny and it covered my greys completely without ever fading. I only needed to recolor when my roots began to show, which is amazing for a semi-permanent. The color was very multi-dimensional and my greys tended to turn a slightly brighter irredescent red, creating a very pretty highlighted effect. It never seemed to damage my hair much at all. For the application, I always applied it to my entire head (dry hair) and then placed a processing cap over it. I used my hairdryer to add heat, but since this is tedious without a bonnet dryer, I only did this step for about 10 minutes and then chilled for about an hour with the cap still on before jumping in the shower. Even though I only applied the heat for 10 minutes, I did notice that my color result was more vibrant and red if I did this step. Be prepared to rinse really really well for a long time and use a dark colored towel, because the color will bleed for at least the first 3 times you wash your hair after coloring. I felt this was expected from a semi-permanent and a small price to pay for the results.

My only caveat, and it's a big one, is that recently I decided to go back to blonde and this hair color was IMPOSSIBLE to remove, a testament to its long-lasting nature. So if you think you may want to change colors or go lighter at some point after using this, be prepared for serious bleaching. Please see my review of the Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment for the ordeal I went through to get this color out!

Highly recommend this. Got it for $3 on sale to tone down some old highlights while I grow my hair out, back to its original color. It's ammonia & peroxide free and left my hair in such soft shiny condition and actually blurred the line where the new hair growth is coming in. Can't get over how nice my hair feels!

Popular Hair Color Products