Clairol Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by age: 44-55

3.4

May Contain All or Some of the Following Ingredients: Water, Ethoxydiglycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Triethylsilylamodimethicone, PEG-50 Tallow Amide, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Fragrance, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Flower Extract, Tocopherol Acetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Glycerin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Carbomer, Citric Acid, Lauryl Glucoside, Erythorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had been using several different box semi-perm colors and they all dried hair out and were too red. I bought a bottle of this at Sally Beauty Supply. It blends my grays nicely and medium warm brown looks very natural on me. My own natural golden highlights show through.

The Clairol web site says it only last for approximately12 shampoos. I can shampoo once a week and use dry shampoo between. (It makes the color last longer.) My hair stylist commented that my hair was soft and nicely colored! I just bought 6 bottles on sale at Sally. Should last me about 6 months or more. It's very easy to apply and one bottle covers my thick, shoulder length hair.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I use the Advanced Gray Solution and I really like it. To get a color I like, I have to mix one bottle of light golden chestnut with two bottles of rich dark brown. I use the mixed solution on my roots every two weeks. Three bottles last about two months. I apply the product to dry hair then I use a hair coloring brush to even out the application along my roots. I put on a hair cap and leave it on for over an hour. Then I wash my hair using Quantum Beautiful Browns shampoo and condition. It seems to build up with every application so that applying to my roots is sufficient.

My hair grows really fast and I need to color my roots every two to three weeks anyway. Even with a demi-permanentnt hair color, my hair was getting very damaged. My hairdresser said she could tell from my hair when I switched to this hair color because my hair is in better condition closer to my scalp. I really like it because my hair seems to be very easily damaged and I needed a solution to cover my fast growing gray hair without damaging my hair further.

Update: 1/12/2013
I just called Clairol to see why they suggest applying this to damp hair, and she said it helps it adhere better and the color will last longer. She also said the difference between the regular Beautiful collection and the Advanced Gray Solution, is the AGS has the added ingredient toulene in the form of Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate. She assured me that toulene will not damage my hair at all, but I wonder if I should switch to the regular Beautiful collection.

Update 11/23/2013

I no longer use this, I find Wella Charm demi-permanent from Sally's is much better and lasts longer.

This is my first time using this product and I thought it worked well. My natural hair color is black with lots of grey hair. For years I have colored it with a permanent hair color to a golden light brown however the grey comes back very quickly and is obvious.

I usually use the permanent color every 2 weeks. So, I don't mind having to recolor with semi-permanet color again in 2 weeks. I don't want to damage my anymore than I need to damage it. I still will color my hair with permanent color every 8 weeks to insure the black roots are brown. This time when the gray popped out again I opted to use Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Color in a honey brown. It covered the grey by about 97% except for the temples which may have needed more attention and then I suspect may have covered 100%. It also made my hair look as if it had just had a full head of permanent color done.

I colored my roots for the first 45 minutes without a cap or heat and pulled it through to the ends for the next 10 minutes. The color came out exactly to what it normally looks like - light/medium golden brown with subtle highlights. Really all I was hoping for was to highlight the grey to a blond and it did more than that. It's freshened the color up.

Today is the first day and it looks good and feels soft but I do recommend using a good conditioner just as you would when you use a permanent color. I swim 4-5 days a week in a pool and I was my hair after each swim. But I'm still hoping that I can get keep the enhanced color for 2 weeks. For those of you who are looking to use in between your permanent hair coloring this product may fit the build at least that's what I'm hoping for. I will update this with how it holds up for the next couple of weeks.

This review is for Clairol Beautiful Collection B01N Level 7 Champagne (blond). I'm a guy with fine wavy dark blond hair about 30% gray, 3" long on top, 1/4" long on sides. All virgin growth, all I do is wash and brush/comb, no styling products, no heat, no previous color treatments, natural color is 7N.

There are almost no men's coloring products out there for blonds - they are all brown and black shades - so this was one of 2 products recommended by the chick at Sally Beauty. I wanted something without lift, because my previous 2 experiences with permanent color made my hair look red and brassy as it faded.

This stuff went on easily and not too drippy - I only needed 1/3 of the bottle for my short hair. I left it on for 25 minutes, no heat, as directions suggest. The initial result is a flat mouse brown - I think Clairol should rename this shade 'Librarian Blonde." The waxy thing others note on here, I experienced as a stiffening of my hair, making it harder to style. If I go by what others here tell, I expect it to fade within days (I wash daily). I'll update after awhile.

Update 2 weeks later: My hair looks a lot more healthy now that the color has faded. Hair's softer now too. The dye made my hair stiff and sorta dull looking until it washed out. The color only covered the gray for 2 washings - by the 3rd washing, the color was gone from the gray. Looks like I gotta try something else.

Pros: Easy to apply, inexpensive
Cons: Color off by a full shade (too dark), made hair stiff and dull, covered gray for only 2 washings.

I use this product only on stubborn, resistant gray at my temples. For that purpose, it works great. It is quite thick, and I found colors are very true to the swatches. It does not smell and is easy to use. It really does become "permanent" when used with heat; but it's not usually worth the time because I'm using it on areas that I keep short. When I tried it as an all-over hair color, I found the color to be too flat. Also - it has Hydrolized Wheat Protein, so when used as an all-over hair color, it makes my hair smell like beer when damp.

No, no, no, no.... no.

Just gave this product it's second and final chance. So my 50-60% gray hair is dark brown and shiny... what's *left* of it, that is! Lost enough during the rinsing to have to toss it into the toilet - twice. Then I notice my drain (which was not neglected) was running slow... and this is what I pulled out of it (it's gross):

That is a LOT of hair - it was literally heavy in my hand! I'll have to keep searching for something to fill the void while I wean myself of of years of Bigen. I have bone-straight Asian type hair that's two feet long. It's a nice espresso color with deep molasses highlights, except for that glittering silver new growth!

HELP!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Curly, Other

I used heat, kept this stuff on for an hour, and my hair was as per photo before I started (natural). This was two days ago. I just washed my hair with a gentle shampoo and watched half the color (champagne) go down the drain. After the next shampoo, it should be all gone. What a disappointment. Now I need deep conditioning, and will have to wait until all this comes out, including the wax or whatever. Weeks?

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I used Dark Brown to cover grays in my darker brown hair. It suprised me that it did cover probably about 95% of the gray. It also left my hair shiny and healthy looking. The downside is that it didn't last but about 3 weeks for me. The other problem was rinsing the stuff out. I thought I would never get it rinsed out completely. Even after what seemed like forever trying to get it out, I noticed that I still had color deposits on my scalp. I'll go back to my Clairol Root Touch Up color, but if I find I need to do an emergency color close to my relaxer retouch time, I'll use the Beautiful Collections.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

i tried the beautiful collection burgundy brown over top of my red locs and the results were fantastic...i am very pleased with this product.my hair is now a deep rich dark burgundy and my locs are more fuller and managable..... for natural hair it does a great job and i also have a wonderful shine.....i do recommend this product for natural and beautiful hair....yes i will be buying this product again.....thanx clairol ...a happy and satisfied customer........

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used this dye for a couple of years to cover grey. It made my hair shiny and more healthyɬookng. It didn't last very long, about three weeks before I wanted to touch it up, but since it's so inexpensive and easy to use, that was OK.

My hair is curly/frizzy, so the anti-frizz effect also made it worth the trouble of reapplying every few weeks. And I can't use peroxide or ammonia on my hair because it's too fragile. so my options are limited.

Lately, I just have too much grey and the regular Beautiful was not covering it. I tried the new Beautiful Collection Advanced Grey Solutions. It is amazing--really does cover grey, for about six weeks, and it makes the hair even more shiny and less frizzy than regular Beautiful. BUT... they only make a few shades and they don't make a light or medium neutral brown, which is what I really want. I used their Rich Dark Brown, which is lovely but too dark for me. I tried their Light Golden Brown, which is lovely too, but over my grey, it comes out a brilliant copper. It's a great color if that's what you want, but it looks bad on me. I tried mixing those two colors to get a light brown, and so far I haven't found the right proportions. It's either too dark or too orange. I will try one more time. If I can't make a medium or light brown, I might just keep on being a dark brunette, since this is the only good grey coverage in a temp dye that I have found.

Hey, Clairol---could you make this in some more natural colors?