MAC Half-Red

MAC Half-Red

4.7

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Great color! It's a rosey read. You can pair this with almost any lipgloss out there. Works great with my skintone.

on 1/7/2016 12:42:00 AM

Amazing! I really love this shade, however it's not really 'red' or even 'half-red' in my opinion. On my lips it comes of as soft plum with a rosy or soft red undertone to it. Love it with Faux lipstick on top, but could easily be paired with many lipsticks. Would repurchase :)

To Read all 52 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/3/2015 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

OMG, this is PERFECT! This lip liner by itself is absolutely gorgeous! Perfect brown-rose for my NW45 skintone. Lasts and lasts and lasts. MAC lip pencils are so underrated. They better not discontinue this. The lippie that this goes with is Del Rio (Satin). I may be getting a backup of this. This has a beautiful bit of gold shimmer strewn in there. Think Dervish liner but they held back on the shimmer with this. People stare at my lips when I have this on.

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

This is an outstanding "kind of red" red lip liner. I hate that I slept on it for all of these years. It is so versatile, can be used with so many different colors. Definitely a winner!

on 11/26/2014 12:49:00 PM

This was a gift from my skin twin here on MUA. She really knows her makeups. This MAC pencil "Half Red" surprised me! A lot of red liners are either "too" something on me. Not enough pigment, too much pigment, too hard, too soft, don't sharpen well, etc. This is the best of the best red liners imo because it's not bright, but rich. It's not too dark, but not too light. There's no sparkly stuff in it. It can be worn as a matte shade on the lips as well as to define many other red lip products.

Since this was a freebee I can't say I came out of pocket for it but I will in the future. It also adds a depth to pink lip products if applied lightly. It can take a glos son top without making a mess. It sharpens very well with just a few turns of a sharp quality pencil sharpener. It's nice and long and I expect it will last a long time.

on 5/19/2014 9:09:00 AM

I've always been a huge fan of MAC's pencil lip liners and this is no exception. I usually go for a more "neutral" lip look but I decided I wanted to try some plums and reds so I settled on Amorous to start and the SA there at the MAC counter suggested I try this lipliner with it. It's almost a perfect match AND it makes the lipstick last much longer. It even looks really pretty by itself over a lipbalm or with MAC's Viva Glam VI over the top of it which gives it a really nice pinkish look.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this because it looked like a neutral colour for my highly pigmented lips. It also produces a lovely dark pinky brown colour if you put a few coats. I find that despite this being a lip liner, when I apply it all over my lips, it feels like I need my lips to be outlined (perhaps because it matches so well with my skin). I'm not sure why it's called Half Red - it is certainly not red but I knew that when I bought it so that's alright.

As all lip pencils are, it's certainly drying - but not as drying as Lancome's lip pencil - and you need to balm and blot before applying which makes it a bit irritating to do touch ups.

Half-Red is the bomb. No joke. I've had this in my bag for a while and can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet. It's one of those workhorses that I don't even have to think about. If my face needs to be perked up, I just need a swipe of Half-Red to fix that right up.

I don't usually use it in a traditional liner sense. Generally, I use it to lightly fill in my entire lip. Sometimes I'll cover that with a gloss. Other times, I'll just leave the Half-Red. It's a nice neutral color that adds punch but isn't overpowering.

I love you, Half-Red! Don't ever leave me.

Oh yeah, and MAC liners last forever in my experience. So unless i lose it, I won't be repurchasing for a while, but when it's gone, I definitely will.

on 12/16/2012 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Half-Red is quite an enigma to me. This is one of those lip pencils that you must try yourself regardless of what reviews describe it to be. I say this because the color changes depending on your skin tone. Even though it is called Half Red, there is nothing red about it on me. Instead, it comes out as pink on my NW45 skin tone. The MAC girl that was helping me tried it on her much lighter complexion and it came out as a deep purple on her! This wears well, lasts a long time and is such a lovely color on me, I can wear it alone. When I am too lazy to deal with reapplying lipsticks, I just shade my lips with Half-Red, line the edges with Cork and finish off with the Viva Glam Nicki Pink Lipglass and I am good for the day.

on 10/23/2012 1:33:00 PM

One of the best lip liner pencils I have used. Works great with YSL Black Tulip lipstck. I had bought a dark violet lipliner to go with the lipstick, but the effect was much better with the MAC Half-Red. Sort of softened the overall violetness effect of the lipstick color. Half-Red is great with Clinques lipstick A Different Grape. Am going to try it with Revlon's Raisin Rage, sure it will work. What I particularily like about this liner and other MAC liners, is that they are opaque, no little sparklies, the texture is consistant, and it stays put.

Popular Lip Liners