MAC Cosmetics Strobe Cream

Filtered by skin tone : Tan
MAC Cosmetics Strobe Cream
Strobe CreamMAC Strobe Cream

3.8

Spring Water (Aqua), Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Distearate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cholesterol, Jojoba Esters, Steareth-10, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Extract, Whey Protein (Lactis Proteinum), Panthenol-Pro-Vitamin B5, Cyanocobalamin Vitamin B12, Tocopheryl Acetate, 7-Dehydrocholesterol Pro-Vitamin D3, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Ceramide 2, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pyrus Malus Extract, Lactic Acid, Sucrose, Linoleic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Polyacrylamide, Laureth-7, Glycerin, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Sodium Sulfite, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Citrate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Red 4

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I feel this product has a cult status, but personally, I found this illuminator disappointing. The packaging is the basic MAC plastic tube, hard to squeeze and not great controlling how much product is coming out.
I also found the thick gel-like texture gloopy, and plastic, it felt like a film on the skin, instead of gliding on smooth. I have tried this product before foundation on a clean skin, mixed in with my foundation, and stippled on after foundation. I didn't like it in any of these ways.
The highlight in the actual gel is also white, so can leave a bit of a white-cast, going slightly grey when I put fake tan on my face (which I do often.)
I recommend the Laura Mercier Radiance Primer or Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer instead of this overpriced, cheap quality product!

on 4/18/2015 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I don't see the glow or illuminating effect when mixed with foundation. Its okay, i wouldn't purchase it again as i see no difference. Its works well for sheering out heavy foundations but so would any moisturizer. It makes my foundations fade off my face faster. This does look amazing as a body moisturizer, it gives the skin a nice sheen, but its not long lasting.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Great product that gives the skin a beautiful glow and look,just very costly BUT worth it ! A must in my make up kit !

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm totally in love with this cream, my sister gave this to me because it broke her out and I was excited to try it but wasn't expecting much honestly, but I was pleasantly surprised. I love using this on days I don't wear makeup especially when I go somewhere. I don't wear makeup as much as I used to (only 2-4 days a week depending) but I never felt very comfortable when I'd go out without it until I tried this. My skin is something I'm pretty self-conscious about, it's not too bad but it's just kinda dull, dark circles, enlarged pores and post acne scars. I feel this gives my skin a healthy, beautiful glow and even though it doesn't cover anything as it's just a luminizing cream I feel so much more confident without makeup. Even better, this has amazing good-for-your-skin ingredients as well. I'm surprised Mac doesn't make that as big of a selling point because I actually didn't know how awesome the ingredients were until I did a bit of research. It's quite pricey at $30 for 1.7 fl oz but I've never tried a product like this before and I will never go anywhere without this product on again. I'm now a Mac Strobe Cream user for life.
PACKAGING:
It comes in an attractive pearlescent off-white plastic tube with the standard rubberized screw off bottom that's on a lot of Mac products. I don't really have any problems getting any product out but it's kinda messy. I'm not sure if it's just the tube I have but the product just kinda spills out of the hole very easily and it can get everywhere, the cap gets goopy as a result. So that's kind of annoying but is nothing I can't live with. I do wish it was in a pump bottle instead.
TEXTURE:
It's slightly thick, but not too thick and it's nice and creamy. It feels very silky, maybe ever so slightly greasy at first but nothing too bad at all. It really just melts into your skin, it feels very nice. The product itself is a pearly white cream with a irradescent pink shimmer.
MOISTURE:
It's fairly moisturizing but not that much. I wouldn't say this is enough if you have dry skin especially in the winter, you may need another moisturizer under this. I have combination dry skin with an oily nose and this is fine for me now that it's summer. I can wear it alone and it does a decent job at providing my skin with some moisture during the day. I'd say if you have oily skin this would be a great night time moisturizer.
FINISH:
Like I said glowy, healthy and beautiful. It gives my skin the dewiness I wish it had. Have you ever seen girls like models, celebs, or youtubers that have that dewy glow with no makeup? This gives you that! It looks very natural and not fake or shimmery at all. It's as if the irradescence just comes one with your skin. It can look slightly oily at first but once it settles into your skin it looks dewy. Despite my imperfections, it doesn't emphasize them at all. If anything it makes them look less noticeable. The effect only lasts while it's on your skin but once you put it on it lasts the entire day. My skin feels soft, smooth and plump to the touch. I can see this working on all skintones from very fair to very dark, though darker skins may not want to use too much at once as you'd have to really blend it into the skin really well so it doesn't wash you out.
EFFECTS ON MY SKIN:
I've used this consistently for about 2 weeks now and it doesn't break me out or clog my pores. I don't have too many problems with acne anymore but when my skin doesn't like something it lets me know by breaking me out very badly or irritating my skin to the point of bumps and severe dryness. I'm happy to say my skin seems to love this and I feel like the texture and look of my skin is improving. There is added fragrance to this but personally I don't smell it that much, it has a slight scent but I don't find it to be too detectable and it doesn't last. My skin is usually sensitive to fragrance but this doesn't bother it at all. We all have different skin though as my sister did break out a little from this so maybe try out a sample first.
FOR MAKEUP:
I don't really use this in conjunction with my makeup underneath it or as a highlighter. I tried it under my foundation, it looked nice but my makeup came off a lot easier with it. I mainly just use this as a moisturizer for when I don't wear any makeup.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this as a glowy highlighter. I just blend a bit onto my cheeks for that lit from within glow others have mentioned. I do not like my whole face to appear glowy but on my cheeks its really pretty. It brightens my whole face up and draws attention up to my eyes. It looks subtle and nice compared to powder highlighters. It's not glittery which I love. You can wear it under concealer for a brighter under eye look too. I don't think it's really worth it to wear under heavier foundation and powder.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

When I first tried this on, it immediately reminded me of Estee Lauder Spotlight, except not so oily. It leaves behind an iridescent glow instead of sparkles/shimmer in other highlighters. The glow is pinkish in tone, so I would stay away from it if you're cool toned.

I wouldn't even say this is a highlighter and I don't think MAC classifies it as one either.

I use it as a moisturizer after I apply my sunscreen. It does a pretty good job of moisturizing but I do still need some in certain areas like around the mouth and on my cheeks because I'm really dry there.

I use it whenever I don't get enough sleep because I find that my skin is dull the morning after. This manages to perk my face up a bit without adding color or annoying shimmer. It doesn't really show up/work underneath foundation (I use studio fix fluid). I haven't tried it over, just alone.

The bottle is pretty small for close to $30 but I like the product enough that I'll buy again. It comes in a squeeze tube with a twist off cap that feels like nars packaging.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using this product for five years now. I love it. It is overpriced in my opinion, but it looks great under my foundation, especially when my skin is dry. I don't like wearing it during summer because it will look way too shiny, however it is perfect for winter. Get a sample for mac before you purchase it and if you like it, buy it. I'm still in search for a cheaper luminizer.

on 6/10/2009 4:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Strobe Cream is good to use for highlighting an exact spot because you can get it just where you want it. Miss the old packaging because it was more simpler and easier to control the amount of product you want. It gives your face a nice healthy glow without looking like you were trying too hard. Shows up very natural on my NC44 skin. Would repurchase just because it blends very nicely with my foundation.

on 4/3/2009 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I waited to review this because at first I was not impressed with this product. After experimenting a bit, I have begun to like this cream. I place it on my cheekbones and right above my eyebrows (in a C pattern) after putting my primer on and right before my tinted moisturizer. It gives such a beautiful glow. To emphasize the glow, I will put NARS albatross on after I put my tinted moisturizer on then set it with either MAC''s natural MSF or MUFE HD powder.

on 2/21/2009 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

this stuff is heavy b/c its not right for my combo/oily skin. it makes me look oily ..well good thing i had only tried a sample of it...