MAC Cosmetics Strobe Cream

MAC Cosmetics Strobe Cream
Strobe CreamMAC Strobe Cream

Spring Water (Aqua), Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Distearate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cholesterol, Jojoba Esters, Steareth-10, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Extract, Whey Protein (Lactis Proteinum), Panthenol-Pro-Vitamin B5, Cyanocobalamin Vitamin B12, Tocopheryl Acetate, 7-Dehydrocholesterol Pro-Vitamin D3, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Ceramide 2, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pyrus Malus Extract, Lactic Acid, Sucrose, Linoleic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Polyacrylamide, Laureth-7, Glycerin, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Sodium Sulfite, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Citrate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Red 4

on 4/15/2011 12:06:00 PM

I feel like there is a lot of confusion about this product. Is it in replacement of your moisturizer or in addition to? A primer? Best applied after your foundation as a highlighter?

I think it really has multiple uses for different people and to label it as simply a moisturizer or strictly a highlighter among various reviews can make it really confusing for some on how to best approach and use this product.

Worked for Mac and in our training session the trainer was adamant that it is in fact a product to be used as a moisturizer. That said, drier skin types will likely not find this to be enough moisture on its own. Would have a better result if dry skinned gals applied a dime size amount over their moisturizer. Oily skinned girls may find that it is enough on its own.

The beauty of this product is its versatility and the texture allows for multiple uses. Just need to determine where and when you like to use it and how much.

It is best tapped or stippled into the skin following make-up application. If rubbed, its consistency will likely rub off your make-up. It doesn't have a dry consistency at all, so rubbing it will remove anything you applied prior. I would recommend using it before powder, if you use powder as it can cause streaking. Under make-up is a great way to illuminate the skin and fool-proof.
Strobe cream not only creates a beautifully glow to the skin, it also has some excellent ingredients and a calming effect to irritated or tired skin. It was rated as one of the best moisturizers for normal skin by Paula Begoun, earning a Paula's pick. Her picks are predominately based on ingredients when it comes to skincare products.

I use Mac Lightful Ultra Moisture Cream and then add a good dime sized amount of strobe to my face and a little down my neck.
No visible sparkles, just healthy looking skin. Even using a product like studio fix powder over strobe will still produce a subtle glow.

Use this product in a way that suits your skin best. It is excellent in so many ways and is unique to Mac. Never found anything quite like it in any other line and I have worked for quite a few companies.

Hope this helps! :)

on 8/19/2007 11:19:00 AM

In general, I prefer liquid or cream highlighters over powder ones. My technique: I blend a small dot of my higlighting cream/liquid to the tops of my cheekbones and down the line of my nose AFTER concealer/TM and BEFORE loose powder. This does not diminish the highlighter effect, but buffs it out and I get a beautiful (but not obvious) sheen. For those who find liquid or cream highlighters to look greasy, it's probably b/c they apply too much, and apply it over blush/bronzer/etc. This technique ensure that the product gives that much sought after "glow" or "dewy look" without the greasiness.

I first encountered MAC Strobe Cream as a generous extra from a swap, and at first was unsure how to use it. I checked reviews and most said to use it *over* makeup but I much prefer SC's effects when applied using the technique described above. That being said, Strobe Cream has officially replaced my other favorite highlighter, Origins Halo Effect (the pink version), and when I found Strobe Cream at my CCO for $22, it took all of one second to decide to buy a fullsize tube! For one, I prefer the tube of Strobe Cream over the Halo Effect's glass bottle, and the Halo Effect has a tendency to separate in the bottle, and when applied, Halo Effect takes forever to set. Also, I think Strobe Cream works as kind of makeshift primer, b/c my makeup lasts longer as well. I have combo skin and have not experienced any breakouts or irritation.

As for how it looks: Strobe Cream is colorless so it will go with any skintone, which makes it perfect to go with any colors as well. It doesn't have chunks of glitter or frosty shimmer, but very, very fine shimmer particles that reflect light beautifully but does not look obvious. Also, only a very small dab is needed- I'd say about the size of a grain of rice for each cheekbone, if that- so this tube will last me a very long time, which justifies the price. To contour my cheekbones, I love pairing SC on top of my cheekbones and matte bronzer or blush on and *slightly* below my cheekbones. (Be sure to blend and follow your face's own contours, or else this will not look natural or pretty but two stripes of light and dark color on your cheeks!) IMO, Strobe Cream goes with any type of look: natural, sexy, going out, etc. and b/c the shimmer is very subtle, it could probably work with a more professional look as well. (P.S. To make this review easier to read, click the "continued" link at the end of the review.)

This is my favorite moisturizer, and something that I put on my face every day regardless of whether or not I wearable up. Here's a tip though for saving money: It's way cheaper to buy the smaller travel size ($10 for 1 oz.) than the full sized product ($33 for 1.7 oz).

on 9/25/2016 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Mac Strobe Cream really works for me. I use it in two ways...

one is all over my under eye. I only apply concealer in a small area of darkness (from inner corner, down) and not actually underneath my lower eye-lid nor up to my lower lashes. the strobe puts a lightness there that would otherwise be bare. I do this because i have a lot of wrinkles and any concealer or powder (incl eye shadows) looks awful. The cream has a subtle pinkness to it.

The other way is to apply Strobe Cream all over my face as a luminous base for Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation which is too matte otherwise. this turns ELDW from useless to awesome for me.

There are a few other similar products... L'oreal Lumi Primer in thin white tube, however it has a subtle white tone to it instead of pink. I use this one when I don't want to waste my Mac on grocery day ;)

I will try any liquid illuminator in these two ways... some work, some don't. Mac Strobe Cream is the best!

on 8/29/2011 4:46:00 AM

I found so many ways of using this product. When I don't get enough sleep, I MUST use this in my routine cuz it gives off a radiant natural glow. When I stopped using this for a month, my close friends commented on how tired I looked and dull my face was. I found that this product has vitamin C and great ingredients for the skin as reviewed by Paula Begoun and several makeup experts.

To use it:
1. Squeeze out a 2-cm-long Strobe Cream (when you squeeze it out from the tube, it comes out in a long paste like toothpaste) and just apply it to your whole face. Then follow with makeup.
2. Mix 1-cm-long SC with liquid foundation and apply to your face. This gives a more natural look than 1.
3. Apply liquid foundation to your whole face, then apply a bit of the mixture between SC and your liquid foundation on areas where you'd like to highlight, like above eyebrows, nose and cheekbones, etc.

I love to mix it with my foundations, especially the ones that are too mattifying. The shimmer is subtle as well. However, I find that wearing this alone without dusting any powder gives a metallic robotic look. So always dust it with powder and you'll have a subtle glowy dewy loook!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I worry some of the time that my recent attraction to frosty things is a sign of my age. I used to love matte everything and was always aiming for a matte finish on my face, for my eye shadows, etc. I never wanted to turn into one of those "over 40" types I'd seen who seemed to wear frosted EVERYTHING. So I wondered about my own sanity when I tried out Strobe Cream. I got a really generous sample from the MAC counter and I have to admit that I love this. It makes my face look dewy (oh, what if that is what was being thought by all those other frosty women I didn't want to become???). But Strobe can be applied with a very light hand for a nice, fresh-faced effect (and it can be used in a more concentrated fashion to provide a highlight after applying your foundation). But I do like a light application of this over my moisturiser, especially if I'm not wearing foundation....it gives a nice, fresh "glow" to my skin if I'm just running out on errands, etc.

UPDATE: Since writing my initial review based on a sample, I've purchased Strobe Cream more than once and also have a "to go" size in my travel bag. I love it best as a moisturizer or an extra moisturizing layer, almost like a primer or mixed with my foundation. It gives great results and when my skin is especially parched, using it as an adjunct to my regular moisturizer gives some extra hydration and dewiness. It's hard to overdo it, which is nice.

*********PEOPLE - I CAN SAVE YOU MONEY: If you're repurchasing this, buy the 30ml 'to go' bottles. not only are they £10 each but also, if you buy two, (i.e. spend £20) you have more than in the 50ml bottle priced at £24.50. So you've saved yourself £4.50 and you get an extra 10ml. **********

This is a good little moisturiser to wear before makeup if you're looking for a light dewy look. Other than that it doesn't always sit well under a full face of makeup and just adds sparkles.
I love it, but the moisturising content isn't wow factor.
It does last for ages which is a big plus for the price of it, and comes in particularly handy in the winter months when you want a bit of brightness.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Love Loveeeee this stuff!!!...
Lately when ever i have been watching movie awards or so on, i have seen that celebrities have this amazingly dewy, glowy look like Scarlett Johansson or Nicole Kidman..and i always thought that it was the moisturizer they used or spa's that they go to did that and probably something i could never afford, but found out that that wasnt the case, i asked around and thanx to Makeupalley board, these girls rock here, they recommend this stuff to me and i thought i would give it a try....
This stuff really gives you the dewy, girly, glowy look!it make syou look healthy and alive again!...it is not greasy at all, it makes your skin look like porcelin smooth!and the cool thing about is that it looks soooo extremly real and natural!People will think this is your real skin!!..it is not too shiny, nor is it too less shiny..Just perfect.Also, if you have dry skin like me, make sure to use a generous amount of it ..I am deeply in love with this product! This is something i will buy again and again!
I read a few reviews and there were a few ppl that said it just sank into their skin after awhile and didn't have the glowy effect for too long.It did the same thing for me the first time i used it cuz my skin was dry and i didn't have any moisturizer as a base ..Well, i realized that if you have a dry face and then putt this on top, your skin will just drink it and it will disappear yes...but you need to moisturize good, then then use this on the apple of your cheeks, then cream blush using the 187 brush..and then you dip a few more strobe cream on top on the apple of your cheek again, bridge of your nose and brow bones...Remember to use a generous amount if you have dry skin using this step...but not tooooo much either....play around with it, and you will see what i mean...I have had the strobe cream for nearly a whole day now and it still looks, dewy and fresh!
I defiantly recommend this magical stuff!!!!!!!!

on 9/2/2015 12:03:00 PM

This product is for those who over wondered how they'd look if a unicorn licked their face. This is an amazing cream, shines through any foundation and has amazing ingredients for your skin (it's skincare after all). I would recommend you get it in a travel size because it's cheaper (30ml for 10€ instead of 50ml for 31€). This should not be worn on it own unless you really want to look like a disco ball, but it makes any matte foundation look less flat. Also it's one step less in the contouring process. You can use it all over the face or just on places where you usually highlight.

Pros:
The travel size is pretty affordable
Makes you look like JLo
Great ingredients (it has a lot of antioxidants that even oily skin benefits from)

Cons:
The smell it a bit unpleasant but goes away pretty fast

on 1/24/2008 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

OK - I don't get this product. I've been curious about it for a while now, and got a generous sample of it from a MAC counter. I'm almost done with the sample, having used it everytime I've worn makeup for about two months now (I don't do full-on makeup every day). It does feel like a cooling, soothing, and non-oily moisturizer going on, but that's about the only good thing I can say about this stuff. I have been using it under foundation to get that "light diffusing glow", but to me I look absolutely no different between having it on and not. Even swatched on my half of my bare face, I can't tell the difference between the two halves! I sadly have to put this in the category of "expensive, do-nothing product". Seems to me that you'd get a much better effect if you simply mixed an opalescent pigment in with your regular moisturizer. Maybe it works better on certain skintones, but alas, mine is not one of them. (Asian, NC25) Gentle reader, maybe it will work for you, but I'd strongly recommend getting a sample before you plunk down your hard-earned cash on this stuff.