MAC Dervish Lip Pencil

Dervish Lip Pencil

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

The main complaint I read most often with MAC lipliners is that they are dry and require a bit of effort to pay off color-wise. While I definitely see that happening with the liners I own from them, including this one, it only occasionally pops up as an issue. Usually, I run the liner across a clean surface for a stroke or two, then apply it to my lips and the pigmentation is great and smooth. These are a dryer formula as far as liners go, but that makes them look fairly natural and last longer on the lips than any others I own. So, while it is a trade-off, I've always gotten a ton of use out of them, the pencils last forever and you're really getting your money's worth.

I will dock this a lippie because I do feel that it takes a bit finesse to get this moving at full speed, it is a dry pencil formula but does not dry out my lips. Although these last a long time, they are not cheap and I wish they were just the tiniest bit creamier.

Dervish is your rather natural-looking medium rosy-nude with the slightest hint of mauve. It has no brown in it. It is very neutral and has a lot of potential as far as pairings go; in my collection alone I probably have about ten lipsticks that would look perfect with this.

on 1/7/2016 12:37:00 AM

This is an ok lip pencil.

Shade wise it comes close to whirl, but without the brown tones. It is pretty, however it's not as creamy or even pigmented as other mac lip pencils.

Dervish is also quite drying, I only use it to outline the lips when wearing a nude shade.

Wouldn't repurchase :(

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This has become my new HG of lip products. I love the finished look of a lipstick/lip product and it really ties everything together, but I can't be bothered to carry the product around and reapply throughout the day. This has been awesome for that. Dervish is pretty much my natural lip color, just a bit nicer, so I've been applying it as a lip color, rather than a base for lipstick. I apply it and then a bit of lip balm and then some translucent powder, and then another layer of the pencil, and it lasts through coffee/tea, talking, daily activities. It helps that it's the same color as my lips so it's not as noticable if it wears, but I've been impressed with the staying power of this pencil. Also it is not drying at all, and very creamy but mimicks the texture of natural lips, which helps make it look very natural (if you cant tell, I'm all about natural). Obviously if you choose a different color like bright red it won't look natural but it will hopefully last as well as this one! Definitely worth the price.

on 11/25/2015 6:59:00 AM

Gives the impression of a full natural lip - could not do without this product. I am very pale (NC15/NW10) so it shows up on my skin enough to draw a fuller lip without looking fake.

Someone commented that this is shimmery - I think it is totally matte.

on 11/12/2015 8:50:00 PM

Such a disappointing product! The pencil is hard and incredibly sheer, goes on almost invisible, even after penciling a few coats on. It's a shame because it's such a pretty colour, but really poorly pigmented. The longevity is almost non-existent - the whole thing rubbed off after a few sips of water. In addition, it has a shimmer to it which I didn't notice until I got home, which I suppose is just a matter of preference, and I was after a matte product. After spending $30 AUD on this, i went straight back to my $9 Rimmell liner. Would have returned immediately if I hadn't lost the receipt.

on 5/19/2015 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I own several MAC lipliners and this is the ONLY one that is dry, hard and not pigmented.

Shame because the color is actually really pretty :(

Dervish is awesome!! It's a very MLBB lipliner & goes w the usual MAC MLBB lippies (brave, faux, velvet teddy, creme d nude, taupe, twig, spirit, even creme cup...soooo versatile!). My fave way to wear this is to line my lips then fully fill them in & shellac a clear gloss (eg Bath&BodyWorks CO Bigelow Ultra Mentha but almost any clear gloss or even Vaseline will do) over the top. Perfect MLBB!! I've been wearing a lot of my liners like that lately coz I don't want a ton of layers on my lips & lipliners last longer than lipstick. Just throw this, the clear gloss, & a small pencil sharpener in ur bag & ur good to go! YES I would so repurchase. I'm sooo into MAC lipliners I think they are the best ones out there $16 is kind of steep & wish they had more automatic ones like Beurre coz I hate to sharpen it; it's like watching money go into the wastebasket; I suppose this is a necessary evil! My fave MAC lipliners are dervish, Nightmoth, spice, Beurre, boldly bare, subculture, strip down, whirl, & soar. There is just something special about MAC lipliners (& lipstick/glass). Can't go wrong w MAC!! :-) next on my list to get is chestnut!!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Dervish is a beautiful light mauvey/pink. It's the perfect shade for my lips, it gives just enough dimension. On most day I line my lips and darken the outer edges and start feathering in the middle of my lips. I add Fresh Sugar Rose lip balm over the top and I looks like I'm wearing nothing but it's definitely more polished. I wear this by itself and under my more mauvey lipsticks such as Brave or Cosmo. I will definitely repurchase

Buying dervish I was very excited. The color looked like the lighter version of soar(which i originally wanted but it's been sold out). When I got home with the lip liner I wanted to swatch it on my hand but almost no product came on to my hand.
I tried warming it up with my hands but the lipliner didn't work with me. Though the color was a very nice match to my lips it didn't go on very easily at all.
So I'm not very impressed, and I wish they had a return policy in mac in my country.

Pretty, natural pinky nude...doesn't last at all, though. Returning.