DHC Vitamin C Essence

DHC Vitamin C Essence

3.9

INGREDIENTS: water, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, pentylene glycol, sodium citrate, citric acid, potassium chloride, saccharide isomerate, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, magnesium sulfate. pH is 7.1-7.5 according to DHC

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I found this serum through a board search in an attempt to find a vitamin C product suitable for my extremely sensitive skin. Previously, I was using Skinceuticals CE Ferulic, but my skin changed so much in the past 2 years that I could no longer use it.

The DHC serum is 8% and has a stable form of vitamin C (MAP). It's almost like water in consistency, just a little bit thicker. It's so gentle that I can apply it everywhere, even on my upper eyelids without any irritation whatsoever. It leaves skin very soft, but it is drying, so I have to double up on moisturizer to compensate.

Vitamin C is mainly preventative skincare; even the SC serum at 20% vitamin C wasn't able to fade my sun spots, so I didn't expect miracles from the DHC. I've been using it at night (every 3 nights) for the past month and, much to my surprise, I always wake up with more even, calmer and brighter skin. Apparently MAP is known for producing visible results, while L-AA is more preventative.

I'll probably add an L-AA serum to use during daytime during the summer, but I'm extremely happy with the DHC serum for nightly use, for its immediate visible results. This serum is an excellent choice for those with very sensitive skin and I highly recommend it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I used an entire tube of this and saw zero change in my sun spots and acne scars. My skin had no adverse reactions to it. In fact t did not respond to it at all. The consistency is like water, and so it does not leave any residue or film on the skin. I quite liked the packaging as it comes out in small drops, hence no waste. However, if you don't use the product for a while, anything left in the nozzle seems to dry up and clog up the miniscule little hole.

After sampling this a few times, I bought the full-size tube and used the entire thing before writing this. I can't say I noticed a huge difference, therefore just the 3 lippies. It didn't irritate or break me out, but the results weren't enough that I couldn't wait to order another tube. It is just like water and the tube is annoying. Like some other reviewers, I finally cut off the tip. The price is also a bit off-putting. I might try it again if it were on sale, but for now I'll get my vitamin C as included with other products.

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

I got this because the reviews here are pretty good.

I'm surprised that this product is just like water. And later i found out this is a water soluble vitamin C, instead of oil soluble, which absorbs better into skin (oops i did not check before purchasing). I did not have a problem with it being a water consistency. I hate the way the product is being dispensed... it comes in a super tiny tip, i have to squeeze the tube for 10 seconds before one drop is dispensed. Omg... for 5 drops i have to wait so long. This is ridiculous!!! I got so annoyed i cut the tip until it easily dispenses with a light squeeze. The most ridiculous and annoying packaging.

Update: two months later, don't see any improvement on my freckles, even developed one for two new ones. Totally useless.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've only been using this for a week now, so not making any claims just yet. It's horribly expensive here in Singapore (S$70 at Watsons for a tiny 25ml). I'm very curious if this can also be applied on the scalp. Will it do any good or harm or will I be simply wasting a very expensive product? I'd really appreciate your input :)
Update 12/04/2013
My skin looks brighter! My sun spots are still there :( but there is a glow about my face. I so want to believe it's because of this one. The dispensing is excruciatingly testing, but hey, anything for great skin right? ;)

on 12/19/2012 8:37:00 AM

I have only tested it out from the samples received from DHC. The first time using it I was truly in awe by how much brighter my face was! The second time the result was still the same! I have never seen anything work quite like that. My order is on its way and I'm very excited!

on 7/10/2010 4:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was recommended by the DHC SA to brighten my skin tone and treat the dark spots around my eye area ( too much sun exposure without protection). I apply it only in the morning first before toning. It is quite mild. I only have occasional minor itchiness nothing else. The result is very gradual. After 6 weeks my sister commented the dark spots around my eyes got lighter. Still using it the tube can last 3 months. So far I am happy with this.

on 6/28/2010 10:50:00 AM

I have been using for only a week and I saw a difference. That's fast!

on 4/23/2009 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is the 3rd Vitamin C product that I've tried. I've been using it for about 6 weeks now with no irritation to date. I previously tried both Skinmedica C and LRP Redermic but had to stop using both products due to irritation. The DHC comes in a tube with a pointed tip. The product is very watery but the package makes it easy to get the right amount. My skin tone is much clearer than it was before I started using this. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my skin continues to be ok with this one. I apply this first thing in the AM after cleansing my face. I will update if anything changes. For reference, dry, sensitive skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

EDIT: I still think that this is a good and reasonably priced Vitamin C product and worth auditioning if you are so inclined. I have since switched to Paula's Choice Resist C15 Super Booster which is more potent and easier to use. Also, the DHC packaging has the tendency to clog. It happened on multiple tubes lately and made me waste a lot of product. I had to remove the dropper like plastic at its opening. That left the product to gush out, and also increased air contact which might decrease its potency. I won't repurchase with the current packaging - though doubt that it will ever change.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I've been using DHC's Vitamin C Essence for over 4 month now, and I am really impressed. I have picked up this product because it was the only reasonably priced vitamin C (Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate) serum with no offensive ingredients. Most of the other vitamin C serums were either absurdly expensive (three digit prices for an ounce or less) or contained formaldehyde-releasing preservatives. I have paid $30 for 25 ml/0.84 fl. oz. of Vitamin C Essence when it was on sale. The regular price is $38 for the same amount. The 25 ml's have lasted me for over four months with twice daily use and I have never experienced a clogging problem with the tube - see EDIT.
The product itself is a very watery liquid with no discernible smell. I love the really fluid consistency since it feels featherlight on the skin. I rarely wore it on its own, usually layered with AHA/BHA products, moisturizer and/or sunscreen. As for its effects, it really did lighten the patch of freckles and couple of sunspots I have. They did not disappear completely, but they are much less noticeable after four months. I am very happy with the results, I have repurchased and I will repurchase again.