Dior Hypnotic Poison

Filtered by hair type : Wavy

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

One of my earliest fragrance memories involves the original Poison, so it holds a special place in my heart. I always like sampling the flankers as well, as most of them have been very nice on me. I have kind of a love-hate relationship with gourmand fragrances, mainly because I find vanilla to very common but very rarely executed to its full potential, but I think Hypnotic Poison is one of the instances where vanilla really realizes something above sexy baked goods. Maybe it is that little heart of the original Poison, with all of its mystery and depth, that takes it to the next level for me. The bottle is freaking gorgeous too, this is an incredibly sultry perfume and it wants you to know it. I prefer the original Poison and Pure Poison above the Hypnotic, but Hypnotic is a nice addition to the family nonetheless.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really think ppl want stuff because of the name or because others have it and I believe this is the case with this perfume because it is too expensive to smell like play do and I don't see the big wow with it. Now if it were dior addict then I could understand because that is the bomb.com. But hypnotic poison is a big no and I do like pure poison though that one is really good out of the poisons.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This was once an amazing beauty. The original EDT, which was awe inspiring because it projected more like an EDP. It was rich and beautiful. I bought a bottle recently and it was not the same. It was as if the old EDT was an EDP and the one that is out now is a watered down EDT version of it. It still has the DNA of Hypnotic Poison, but it is much lighter, and doesn't project as well. Sad, but this is true of many of the classic scents of yesteryear that used to command attention, but now hardly whimper.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this fragrance! I have been using it for years! It smells absolutely amazing - and smells completely different on everyone. I smell vanilla, spice and black liquorish. The staying power is very good. No need to reapply. I ran out a few months before Christmas this year but was instructed not to buy it for myself.. So I had to wait. It was a loooong few months. I missed my 'signature scent' so much I didn't feel like myself. I wear this everyday and get a lot of complements! People always comment that I smell amazing but not overwhelming. Just right. Love love love.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hypnotic Poison is smooth, dark, rich, slick, and suave, like a very charming guy whom you discover is really a jerk. I like it (the fragrance, not that sort of dude). It reminds me of cola spiked with brandy next to a dish of steaming, creamy vanilla pudding thickened with almond paste. Yes, there is a slight sweetish Play Dough note due to the vanilla or bitter almonds, but the lush, almost wet, jasmine does a good job taking the edge off this unintentional plastic accord. HP smells like dessert and drinks, though it evokes the long subsequent hours between the sheetsthe aftermath of the digestif. This is what I hoped BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar would smell like. HP is the scent of the girl who plays along with the player and then enchants his best friend a few days later, the scent of the evil-eyed, smirking Snow Queen who has a powerful narcotic flowing through her veins. I think once I finish my sample, a full bottle is in my future. I subtracted one point because HP has mediocre staying power for me, especially given how pricy the juice is, but to be fair, my skin devours perfume. The only EDT concentration I find that lasts is Light Blue, so I have to wait until the rumored EDP of HP is released in America. Notes: coconut, bitter almond, caraway, jasmine sambac, tuberose, cinnamon, moss, jacarander wood, vanilla, musk.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

This fragrance took me several tries to appreciate. An initial sniff a few years back proved too powdery or coconutty for my tastes. After becoming more serious about building my perfume collection, I noticed Hypnotic Poison was often referenced as a vanilla classic, gourmand without being cloying. I gave it another shot at Sephora and once again, I was distracted by certain notes. I happen to hate tuberose and this scent does have a prominent tuberose facet. Oddly enough, my SO totally loved the scent on me and so I started wearing it more consistently. I was perusing reviews and saw on fragrantica that some find this to smell like root beer. Intrigued, I sprayed, sniffed, and realized that indeed it did give a root beer effect. I do not know why, but this fact made me like the scent more. I think it allowed me to pick up on more of the spicy, sexy qualities of the scent. I know that is a bizarre and largely psychological explanation as to why I now enjoy Hypnotic Poison but it is the truth. On my skin chemistry, I get plenty of coconut and jasmine with more vanilla and apricot in the drydown. Excellent lasting power and good sillage and I cannot resist a bottle in my favorite colors. I foresee this being in my collection for years to come.

A classic

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

This stuff smells so good, even my gynecologist wanted to know what I was wearing. I can't count the number of times I have repurchased this unbelievable mixture of vanilla almond heliotrope musky goodness. I promise that you will receive compliments for smelling so delicious when wearing this. I always do.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I think Hypnotic Poison is one of the best gourmand orientals on the market. It's really well rounded with a lot of depth. It smells like almonds and a bit of jasmine mixed with vanilla and musk creating a dark slightly bitter aroma. I first bought this when it was launched in 1998, when everyone else was making light fruit cocktail scents. It just smelled so special and mysterious like Snow White's poison apple. I only wish they hadn't changed the bottle. The original bottle was made of glass dipped in liquid vinyl, which made it look and feel like a fetishy candy apple. The bottle I have now is still shaped the same, but the rubbery texture is gone. As far as the scent goes, the formulation I have now (2012 version) is very close to my 1998 bottle. This lasts all day on me with moderate to strong sillage depending on application.

I tested this in the store. I found it too sweet for my tastes. I was expecting an elegant and mature scent but this reminded me of a perfume young teenagers would wear. It smelled like Kellogg's Fruit Loops to me. Which is not something I aspire to smell like, no hard feelings Toucan Sam. :)

Popular Fragrances