Dior Hypnotic Poison

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone

4.2

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Wore this today and oooooh it's such an exotic, beautiful smell! Probably better for the colder months, but I got a bit dressed up today and wanted an exquisite smell to go with my new outfit! I have a decant, will definitely be picking up a full bottle this fall! My daughter will definitely be borrowing this. =)

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This is my latest HG everyday fragrance. I work at a medical office, so wearing a powerful, overbearing scent is a no-no. Hypnotic Poison is very soft, warm, and friendly.

When I first sprayed this, I smelled root beer. I like root beer but I don't necessarily want to smell like it. But then, after the dry down, I couldn't get enough of that enticing vanilla scent. Vanilla fragrances are my go-to because they just work the best with my chemistry. This one is a grown-up vanilla, though- a sexier vanilla.

I agree with the other reviewers that this is a boyfriend-friendly fragrance. It won't give you that headache that some other scents will when you get too close to it. It's a good scent to wear when snuggling :)

Hypnotic Poison is very easy to wear, so I'd recommend it to anyone who likes vanilla notes in their perfume. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because it doesn't last all day, so I have to re-spray.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hypnotic Poison is smooth, dark, rich, slick, and suave, like a very charming guy whom you discover is really a jerk. I like it (the fragrance, not that sort of dude). It reminds me of cola spiked with brandy next to a dish of steaming, creamy vanilla pudding thickened with almond paste. Yes, there is a slight sweetish Play Dough note due to the vanilla or bitter almonds, but the lush, almost wet, jasmine does a good job taking the edge off this unintentional plastic accord. HP smells like dessert and drinks, though it evokes the long subsequent hours between the sheetsthe aftermath of the digestif. This is what I hoped BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar would smell like. HP is the scent of the girl who plays along with the player and then enchants his best friend a few days later, the scent of the evil-eyed, smirking Snow Queen who has a powerful narcotic flowing through her veins. I think once I finish my sample, a full bottle is in my future. I subtracted one point because HP has mediocre staying power for me, especially given how pricy the juice is, but to be fair, my skin devours perfume. The only EDT concentration I find that lasts is Light Blue, so I have to wait until the rumored EDP of HP is released in America. Notes: coconut, bitter almond, caraway, jasmine sambac, tuberose, cinnamon, moss, jacarander wood, vanilla, musk.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

At first spray I strongly disliked this scent, but given time with my body chemistry (truly, it seemed it took an hour), it morphed into something I absolutely had to own.

The first time I tried this, I tested in store along with Burberry Brit (one on each wrist). During the 30 or so minutes, Brit quickly settled into the warm vanilla it turns on me, while HP kept a strong tone that I just didn't like, reminiscent of playdoh. Disliking HP, I purchased Brit and left the store to go about the rest of my errands.

Fast forward around 30 mins-1 hr after I left the store. By now Brit had more or less faded and was becoming unnoticeable, but the scent of HP was still wafting into my nose and forcing me to take notice, and not in an unpleasant way. In fact, quite the contrary. Somehow the scent was still dramatically changing- improving. The playdoh-esque note that had originally offended me subsided completely. What was left was an utterly intoxicating scent of warm vanilla and almonds, plus something deep and mysterious (sorry, perfume novice with no talent for identifying ingredients). HP haunted me, and budget be damned, I returned to purchase shortly after the original Brit purchase. I simply had to have it. This scent is unique to any other I own and has become my fast favorite by far. When I'm wearing it I cannot get enough of my own scent and sniff myself like crazy, repeatedly. Highly recommending giving this one time to settle before judging, it may surprise you like it did me.

Not thrilled about the price, but will still gladly pay it again and again to keep this perfume on hand, should I ever run out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hypnotic Poison is a deliciously complex vanilla gourmand with an almondy facet. Strongly edible, this is one of the most toothsome, dimensional vanillas I have ever come across. It has the impression of being very creamy and smooth, like a custard. Enriched with almond notes the effect is impressively gourmand.

The alleged top notes include apricot, plum and coconut which are not very apparent to me. There is a delicious fruity quality but I interpret that as being part of the vanilla. As for the coconut, I can't make it out at all.

The listed heart notes are tuberose, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose, brazilian rosewood and caraway. While the florals are there for me, they do nothing to interrupt the edibility of the vanilla (see Kenzo Amour for a perfume that does) and are relatively subtle next to the enormous vanilla accord. The caraway has an anise like mood which maybe where people get the root beer smell from. Personally, I find that the caraway has a slightly spicy effect but I don't get root beer from it (too bad for me since I love root beer!).

Sandalwood, almond, vanilla and musk are the listed base notes. The sandalwood is very creamy and dovetails beautifully with the milky vanilla. While I am not a big fan of musk, it is not very noticeable at all until the very end of the dry down. The vanilla and almond are the stars of the composition of course.

Again, the main impression of Hypnotic Poison is edible, creamy vanilla with almond. If you're in the mood for a rich, impressive vanilla that manages to be layered and complex while loosing none of its foody, gourmand qualities, please give this a sample.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I didn't buy this, but I tested it out in the store, and it smells exactly like Play Doh. Not a very sexy, sweet, or mysterious scent. If you want this smell, just rub Playdoh on your wrists, you will smell the same lol.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This is a lovely perfume, oriental vanilla sweet and creamy. It does smell like rootbeer float in a sophisticated way to me if you know what I mean. The longevity is good even for the edt. It probably not for everyone but if you like yummy oriental vanilla perfume, you should check this one out!

I'm sorry. I can't believe the rave reviews this stuff gets, because honestly, the first time I smelled it, it made me want to barf. Cloying, synthetic, fake vanilla, and, forgive me, a slightly..."unclean" quality. This perfume smells dirty. Got a bottle from a friend who knew nothing of my tastes. Sometimes for sh*ts 'n' gigs I shove the bottle under my nose, inhale, and gag. I never spray it, on my skin or anywhere near me. Bottle is tacky as f*** also.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm a huge fan of gourmand sweet scents, but not this one. I was recommended this at Dillards since I said I was looking for a vanilla scent. But this just pulled off as a straight up licorice. No vanilla. I'll pass.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been wearing Hypnotic Poison on-and-off for about eight years. This is the one perfume that has stayed in my collection and rotation for one reason - it smells amazing.

To me, Hypnotic Poison smells like spicy vanilla. Even though it's very vanilla-y, it's not an immature or overpowering vanilla. It's very sophisticated and warm. Despite it being more on the warm side, it is definitely wearable in the spring and summer months. The scent also lasts and lasts. As much as I adore Hypnotic Poison, it's one of those perfumes that I only reach for once in a blue moon mainly because I have a collection of perfumes that I like to rotate so I don't get bored. Even though I only wear this occasionally, I still get compliments on it. Considering I'm on my second bottle, I would likely buy this again because, for me, this is just a classic scent.

Popular Fragrances