Dior Hypnotic Poison

Filtered by skin type : Dry

3.9

A heavy scent of warm vanilla and spices.

I feel so elegant when Im wearing this, when my husband and I are going out. I´ve go the
100 ml, and it was totally worth saving up for.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

My boyfriend thinks this is the sexiest scent ever (so I got it as a present) but I don't like it at all! I still gave it 3 stars because of how much he loves it..

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I've always steered clear from the Poison line because I associate it with a very heady type of fragrance. Not my cup of tea, or so I thought....

I dislike vanilla in a fragrance, and oriental fragrances, period. Just doesn't work with my body chemistry. While at Sephora during this past winter, I spritzed on HP out of curiosity. Never in a million years did I think an oriental, vanilla would stop me in my tracks.....in a good way! The vanilla doesn't morph on my skin into a giant bottle of vanilla extract, and there's another distinct smell; however, cannot place it for anything. All I know is it doesn't smell like a lot of fragrances on the market today. People say they smell almonds, or almond cookies, but I don't smell almonds. However, do smell sandalwood, a creamy vanilla and spicy caraway. When people write they smell play-doh, I have to laugh. There is a slight play-doh smell, but trust me, HP smells a lot better than play-doh.

I first wore this during the winter with jeans, turtleneck and boots. What a perfect fragrance to wear. When spring arrived, tucked my sample away. Couldn't fathom wearing this during spring and summer. Well, one day I just had to wear this during a hot summer day to see if it would be suitable. Oh my.....the warm sweetness of HP is perfect for summer. As a matter of fact, do prefer wearing it in summer over winter.

Never thought I would have a bottle shaped like a red apple on my vanity. Do think it adds a certain charm.

HP isn't a fragrance I wear every day, it's a fragrance I wear when I need a break from my usual florals and fruity/florals, and it delivers!

If you're looking for a non-cloying, rich and heady, spicy vanilla, recommend testing HP.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this fragrance, very soft and sensual.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just completed the sign up process on here just so I could leave a review on this. Reviews guided and (some) helped me on my search for a new scent so I felt it right to return the favor. The past 2-3 months, I had been on a search for a new fragrance. When it comes to scents/perfumes, I am far from knowledgeable about what's out there and my tastes drastically drift towards sweet; gourmand is a word I recently learned also stands as its own category for scents.

My favorite scent of all is vanilla. I cannot get enough vanilla. So I researched fragrances that had a good kick of vanilla in them. When I would be near a store that sold fragrances, I would go in and try to remember the names of various ones that I had read about. I remembered reading about Hypnotic Poison when I came across it at Sephora. I sprayed myself and was very displeased. Did not like it. However, during the car ride home, I started smelling something that I kinda liked. It was definitely different compared to what I was used to but I was not as offended as I had been when I did that first spray.

Few weeks later I am at Ulta. I seek out this scent again and spray myself. Only this time, I was more favorable to it. Once again, about 30 minutes later, I pick up on a scent that i fall in love with. The dry down, which takes about 30 minutes on me, is wonderful. I fell in love with it after that second time. Thought about it for a couple more weeks and then went today a bought it.

Because I am very inexperienced with all the various smells out there, I cannot tell you, in specifics, what it is exactly that I smell in this other than it has a "reserved" sweet smell to it. Meaning that it's not an overly strong sweet smell. I do smell vanilla in it and for that I am pleased. I had been wearing Britney's Fantasy and JS Fancy. This is not as sweet as those, and I do love those. Thinking of those two reminds me that I have read many reviews where people are absolutely trashing them because either they feel they aren't "sophisticated" enough or that those scents should be worn only by teenagers. People putting age limits on fragrances is beyond me and if you like something, one shouldn't care what it is or what other people will think. It's one thing if you don't like it and describe why and give your opinion, which we all should be able to do, but it's another thing when the person insults the fragrance and all who wear it in a most disrespectful manner. The second I see the tone of the review is disrespectful or full of explanation points being used like they're oxygen, I move on to the next. But I digress.......

This is a wonderful fragrance, however, it took me two full times of its spraying and drying process to fall in love with it. My husband actually likes this on me so that's a plus. He usually doesn't care for anything stronger than a body splash so this was surprising. I do wish this was not as expensive as it is but to me, it's worth it. The bottle is cute. The lid seems like it is going to stay on snugly and that's all I care about as far as the bottle. The bottle could look like a booger but as long as the lid stays on and this wonderful scent comes out of it, I do not care.

It also lasts quite awhile on me. Hours. Much longer than any other fragrance I have used. It lasts even longer on my jackets and clothes. One jacket in particular still held its scent 5 days after the fact.

If you like fragrances with a reserved sweet tone to them but I would give this a shot. For me it took a couple times trying but was well worth it. I wish I could have been more specific in terms of describing different notes I picked up on in the scent, but again I am new to this.

When i first smelt poison i liked the creamy sweetness but never actually purchase it, i since then went on to other perfumes, but occasionally would go back to it and sample it feeling it felt "too grown up " for me, finally after about year or so i tried it again on my skin and loved it! why hadn't i bought this sooner! Its like an almond/vanilla cookie/cake or shortbread dipped in an expensive wine, very creamy and milky, sweet but not overly sweet like teenager scents, makes me feel special, and has a very unique smell to it very individual, like that fact that it doesn't seem to be what everyone is wearing feels like my own individual scent ( if that makes sense) doesn't have loads of clashing elements i find with other perfumes i can just define its sweet creamy almond smell, dries down to a more powdery milky vanilla, feel sexy when wearing this. Love the bottle stands out from rest. Lovely color to it also.
going to purchase the 100 ml next time! last about 4/5 hours on me and stays longer on clothes :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Best of the three, this is a Poison I can survive with on a daily basis. This Poison's fumes expand and grow minute by minute, giving you an ultimately powdered, spicy experience. Reminiscent of true orientals from yesteryear, it delivers a solid, steady wood-filled punch for hours.
I love when perfumes give me images when I wear them. It makes wearing them all the more interesting.
Veils of foggy mists on undulating mountains, overlooking lush valleys interspersed with lakes on a raw, damp day. The air is chilled and the grey skies won't let the sun through. It's a bit soggy underfoot, the pine needles are soft and quiet as I am walking. An occasional branch snaps as I maneuver through the trails. Pillars of evergreens form an open roof above me. That's where Hypnotic Poison takes me.
It's a cool weather scent that I haven't become tired of and reach for regularly.
Top Notes: Apricot, Plum, Coconut.
Middle Notes: Tuberose, Jasmine, Caraway, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Brazilian Rosewood, Rose.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Almond, Musk, Vanilla.

I bought this perfume after spraying it on a tester, thinking it smelled pretty good. OMG. What was I thinking??? A few other people have compared it to Play-doh or plastic. That's about the reaction I had too. I sprayed it on my wrist, took one sniff, and promptly washed it off... except the darn scent was still there! It took several days and many washings to get all of the stink to disappear. One of the grossest things I've ever smelled.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This was the first "real perfume" I owned, given to me as a gift nearly a decade ago by my parents. At the time, I was only familiar with two categories of perfume, "regular" and "grandma". The former was primarily comprised of the generic fruity floral blends favored by my peers, and the latter consisted of anything that deviated from it.
Hypnotic Poison was the perfume that seemed to break this mold. It was far less straightforward and darker than the scents favored by my peers, yet was light and sweet enough to avoid falling into the category of old lady. It seemed to project mystery. One sniff and I was hooked.
For years, this was the sole perfume I owned. I would douse myself in it before heading to school. Initially, it would be perfume perfection- a mixture of almond, sandalwood, musk and vanilla that could perhaps be best described as an adult root beer. Inevitably, after a few hours I would be left with a dry down not unlike the coppery smell of blood. Yet I persisted in wearing it for some bizarre reason, to stubborn to admit the perfume didn't work on me. Eventually, I wound up giving it up to my sister.
I was at a shop this past weekend and they had this perfume on the counter. Nostalgic, I decided to give it a try for old times sake. To my nose, it smelled quite different-there was no obvious changes is notes, the whole thing seemed to have a different feel (for the lack of a better term). Previously to my nose Hypnotic Poison possessed a slightly nostril stinging, faintly metallic effervescence-giving it an almost carbonated feel. Now it's much more quite-still and straightforward. The mystery is gone.
That being said, I still think that this is a good perfume for people looking to branch away from the typical fruits and florals marketed to women. This is due to the familiarity and comfort provided by the vanilla, with none of the heavy feel that sometimes comes with orientals.

On good days, it reminds me of the beach with a little suntan lotion and the saltwater taffy factory wafting its scent over the aged wood planks of the boardwalk. And a little of that wonderful Suave Milk & Honey handsoap.

On "bad chemistry" days, it reminds me of this guy that I dated in high school who had a strong vanilla air freshener in his car and wore loads of Drakkar Noir. I'm sure we must have stopped for a root beer soda somewhere on that drive.

It does get compliments and my DH loves it, but I always wish I picked something else to wear on the days I have this on. Don't let my review stop you from trying this popular and well-liked perfume, try for yourself and see where it takes you.

Popular Fragrances