Dior Hypnotic Poison

Filtered by skin tone : Other

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

This smells like a large dose of powder and some good vanilla on me, It's vety pleasant. Vanilla makes an awesome room freshener too.
The vanilla in this is almost edible, want to add some to my coffee or spray the kitchen. Really this is gorgeous.

**This is a review for the gold cap/dark purple and red version***

I am obsessed with this perfume. I am going to be so sad if I ever run out because this is the harder to find version. So long story short, I had this a loooong time ago but thought it smelled horrid, but by chance i was in Sephora a while back and thought to try it out again for whatever reason. Annoyingly enough, the Sephora by me had the older formula out as their tester...very misleading. Thus, much to my dismay the purchased item was the newer version (silver cap and it's red/darker red packaging) and it was just HORRID on me. I HATE IT!! It's opens with this strange sharp chemical tone that smells somewhat like burning rubber that just burns my olfactory senses like the fire of a thousand suns. I really hoped it would go away, but it just kept going and going several scrubs later. Also, it's just a loud, obnoxious perfume with quite some sillage unlike the older formula which is much softer, more understated feminine but still sexy and not as loud or obnoxious. I feel that I can wear the older version in public and know that I'm not polluting other people's noses with my perfume. Needless to say I returned this and immediately went on the hunt to find the older formulation (gold cap with red/purple packaging). Thankfully those random perfume kiosks/perfume discount store had one 3.4 fl. oz bottle.

Anyhow, onto my perfume tastes --> The perfumes I normally tend to gravitate towards are gourmands that aren't overly sweet, woodsy and clean. My all time favorite perfumes are 10 corso como and SL feminite du bois. Normally vanilla perfumes are not for me as they tend to be very fake smelling on me, as do coconut perfumes. At any rate this is amazing. It does start out a powdery licorice with a hint of play doh on me, but the play doh and licorice disappears within 30 mins on me and develops into this amazing cozy, warm, vanilla, powdery but not headache inducing powdery scent on me. I think there is a hint of muskiness to this as well but I'm not sure if I'm identifying it correctly?? I didn't get any of the "root beer" note that other reviewers mentioned, which is a shame because i love root beer! :) Anyhow I love this perfume and it's my perfect go to perfume when I want to have that extra pep in my step, my feel sexy perfume. I think the bottle is just so cute and chic. It just looks kinda vintage sitting in my perfume cabinet compared to my other perfumes.

I was always drawn to this product, loved the packaging and was intrigued by the fragrance. But the only problem I have is that if somebody uses it, you can smell Hypnotic Poison in the whole vicinity. No kidding. And you KNOW they are wearing Hypnotic Poison. And it's a perfume you can buy all over the World, from boutiques in Paris, through bazaars in Marocco, to stands in the Russian subway. It is a great fragrance, but seriously, due to it's popularity, it will not be unique. And when I look for a personal fragrance, I don't want it to be so mainstream. So I will always reach out for the bottle when shopping, to get a sniff of it, but probably won't be wearing it.

Love this perfume. In college a girl on my floor would always spray this as she was leaving and finally I caught her one day to ask what it was. This was it! I love it. it is very different from other perfumes, and doesn't smell like anything else I've ever tried. I am on my 2nd bottle and will be getting another one when I run out. It is more my night time/ winter fragrance because of its warmth and depth.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I was never interested in perfume of any kind until early this year when a friend of mine whipped out a fancy looking bottle which happened to be a DKNY Be Delicious. I sprayed abit of it and didn't like it but she was about to venture out of the country and if I had sum cash prepared she would buy me a bottle or 2. As for the choice of perfume she told me 2 explore on the internet and lo and behold! I discovered a whole new world of fragrances. To cut a long story short my current signature scent is Vera Wang Princess and I never imagined I'd love another fragrance until I sniffed Hypnotic Poison at a newly opened department store and I thought OMG! I had never smelled anything so warm and delicious and addictive! Yeh, I don't know anything about notes but I know a magnificent perfume when I smell one; I was instantly hooked and though it was very expensive i.e $130 for a 3.4oz at Foschini's I knew I'd never have peace if I didn't buy it so I went ahead and did. And I don't regret it coz IMO its the perfect fragrance for all seasons. On my skin it lasted for hours and only disapeared after I showered. If it wasn't for the price I'd give it a 5 but eish, the staff is costly. Still I see myself wearing this fragrance for the rest of my life or until Dior makes the terrible decision 2 discontinue

Jasmine, Almond, and Vanilla- A perfect combination! This is my one of my favorite Dior fragrances. Its sweet but in a sexy way, not like a little girl. I love this for a going out perfume. It's very strong so you only need a few squirts! The bottle is adorable as well.

I had a girlfriend who wore this perfume as her "signature" scent and I can still remember the first time I saw her and smelled this delicious fragrance. Call it a subjective opinion, but this is just about the darkest, sexiest, most sensual fragrance I've ever come across. Very, very intoxicating.

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

A winner in my book. This starts out nice and sweet, with lots of depth that includes beloved almond and root beer-like notes. It tones down to a rich, dry sweetness with caraway note most prominent on me. I get tons of compliments wearing this. Just perfect for cold weather. The bottle is beautiful as well.
Have to say to the reviewer below who says, "something about this reminded me of old people...and that is never a good thing!" should really rethink her views or keep them to herself.

For me, this is one of the best. It has a feminine musky drydown, with a slight licorice note in the top which makes it unusual. When I first tried it years ago I was ambivalent about it, but it has grown on me. I think it's one of the more feminine scents out there, but also has a nice warm drydown, not overly strong.

Hypnotic Poison smells almost exactly like Warm Vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works, but at a huge mark-up and with less attractive packaging. The lightweight red plastic bottle seems very much at odds with the sophistication and price of the fragrance inside.

If I'm buying something by Christian Dior, I'll splurge on the original Poison, not this.

I would rate this fragrance as 3 lippies except for the fact that it pales i comparison to the merits of Warm Vanilla Sugar. Therefore, only 2 lippies.

Popular Fragrances