Dior Hypnotic Poison

Filtered by age: 19-24

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I remember when I first smell the EDT version in a store and the first thing I thought was that it was horrible, too sweet and strong. But then, 10 minutes later a sweet vanilla with a little bit of mint somewhere, a very "milky" scent, started exhaling from the piece of paper. All I can say is that I fell in love with it right away. I kept that paper with me for a WHOLE WEEK and I could still smell that delicious scent by the 7th day, less stronger of course, but still the same sweet, vanilla menthol. I decided that I wanted it as my signature smell and I needed to purchase it right away, so back to the store I went, but they didn't have it anymore. So, searching online to buy it, I discovered that it had another version, the EDP. I wanted to buy it- but I couldn't remember which one I smelled before, since the bottles are more or less a like, and I didn't want to take the risk.
Then I desesperately searched for another store, and there I saw them, the two red bottles. I tried the darker one first, the EDP. The moment you spray it, it doesn't smell as sugary sweet as the EDT, but in the dry down the vanilla appears a lot more, but in my opinion, this version is way less sweeter than the EDT. But don't go thinking this isn't sweet, THEY BOTH ARE, but the EDT is much, much more. What I love about it, it's the simplity of it- it's smell is basically almond and vanilla, and in my opinion, a bit of mint, even though I couldn't find it in the notes. While the EDP has the same familiar smell, I would say it isn't as basic as his brother. It has more notes, a LITTLE citric in the beginning, and a bit less sweeter- so I wasn't as amused by this one as I was with the EDT. It's good, but the original one it's just breathtaking. It's unique. And funny thing is, I always hated sweet scents. But I can't get enough of this one, even when it's summer and I go without using it for weeks cause I can't stand it (Warning, it is very, very strong in hot weather. It will suffocate you.) But when it's cold or a fresh weather, it smells completely different, it's crazy. It's like it was made for these days, it's just a fresh vanilla with almonds. It is a sexy scent.
People know it's me when I arrived somewhere because of the smell, the projection of this is MAD! I was asked a billion times what I was using saying it was delicious. Some people thought it was chocolate. Don't think you'll go unnoticed, cause you won't- but if you overdose it in how weathers, you may piss people off. 😆
The fixation lasts in me, like 6~7 hours of projection, from then on it's rent to the skin. I'd say it stays 14 hours. I THINK the EDP lasts longer though, but that's what I can say from the one time I tested it.
I've own it for more than 8 months now, and I don't think I'll change it so soon. I keep trying floral, fruity, musky and even sweet perfums but I always get sick of them and nothing, none of it compares to this piece of sweet heaven in a frask. ;)

When I first tried this perfume it gave me a massive headache, not gonna lie. It was really too much! My best friend swore by it and told me that whenever she used it people asked her what she was wearing. I received this perfume as a gift and completely changed my mind.. As I got used to the scent it started not to bother me anymore and after months I can definitely say that it's a very sexy and intriguing scent, I could recognize it anywhere! Love the packaging to death, very elegant and feminine and it gives me the idea of something mysterious and beautiful! I feel that this is the type of scent that you either love or hate though, there's no in between

When i first smelt poison i liked the creamy sweetness but never actually purchase it, i since then went on to other perfumes, but occasionally would go back to it and sample it feeling it felt "too grown up " for me, finally after about year or so i tried it again on my skin and loved it! why hadn't i bought this sooner! Its like an almond/vanilla cookie/cake or shortbread dipped in an expensive wine, very creamy and milky, sweet but not overly sweet like teenager scents, makes me feel special, and has a very unique smell to it very individual, like that fact that it doesn't seem to be what everyone is wearing feels like my own individual scent ( if that makes sense) doesn't have loads of clashing elements i find with other perfumes i can just define its sweet creamy almond smell, dries down to a more powdery milky vanilla, feel sexy when wearing this. Love the bottle stands out from rest. Lovely color to it also.
going to purchase the 100 ml next time! last about 4/5 hours on me and stays longer on clothes :)

**This is a review for the gold cap/dark purple and red version***

I am obsessed with this perfume. I am going to be so sad if I ever run out because this is the harder to find version. So long story short, I had this a loooong time ago but thought it smelled horrid, but by chance i was in Sephora a while back and thought to try it out again for whatever reason. Annoyingly enough, the Sephora by me had the older formula out as their tester...very misleading. Thus, much to my dismay the purchased item was the newer version (silver cap and it's red/darker red packaging) and it was just HORRID on me. I HATE IT!! It's opens with this strange sharp chemical tone that smells somewhat like burning rubber that just burns my olfactory senses like the fire of a thousand suns. I really hoped it would go away, but it just kept going and going several scrubs later. Also, it's just a loud, obnoxious perfume with quite some sillage unlike the older formula which is much softer, more understated feminine but still sexy and not as loud or obnoxious. I feel that I can wear the older version in public and know that I'm not polluting other people's noses with my perfume. Needless to say I returned this and immediately went on the hunt to find the older formulation (gold cap with red/purple packaging). Thankfully those random perfume kiosks/perfume discount store had one 3.4 fl. oz bottle.

Anyhow, onto my perfume tastes --> The perfumes I normally tend to gravitate towards are gourmands that aren't overly sweet, woodsy and clean. My all time favorite perfumes are 10 corso como and SL feminite du bois. Normally vanilla perfumes are not for me as they tend to be very fake smelling on me, as do coconut perfumes. At any rate this is amazing. It does start out a powdery licorice with a hint of play doh on me, but the play doh and licorice disappears within 30 mins on me and develops into this amazing cozy, warm, vanilla, powdery but not headache inducing powdery scent on me. I think there is a hint of muskiness to this as well but I'm not sure if I'm identifying it correctly?? I didn't get any of the "root beer" note that other reviewers mentioned, which is a shame because i love root beer! :) Anyhow I love this perfume and it's my perfect go to perfume when I want to have that extra pep in my step, my feel sexy perfume. I think the bottle is just so cute and chic. It just looks kinda vintage sitting in my perfume cabinet compared to my other perfumes.

I absolutely love this scent on me. It's got more of a winter/nighttime quality to it but I wear it all the time. Its name is incredibly accurate as the smell is truly mesmerizing. I'm so in love with the sandalwood base notes mixed with oriental vanilla. Smells much more expensive than the actual cost (about &80 at Sephora). I will DEFINITELY be buying this again.

Obsessed! I was on the hunt for a new perfume that would attract 'males'.. for me, if im going to smell good I want to appeal to everyone and particularly, men. I am the kind of girl who does her research before buying anything.. so, I googled scents that men like, and after heaps of research there were about 15 perfumes or so that stood out to me and were frequently repeated in questionaires that males/guys had answered. I then researched all these perfumes on fragrantica.com and even made an excel document of all the results so that I could compare them. (yes I am THAT cray) long story short, I shortened the list down to 3 pefumes which I then went and bought and I found that when I wore this scent (Dior- Hypnotic poison) not only did i LOVE the scent but I also recieved ridiculous amounts of compliments from males and females. Research paid off and I can happily say this is my signature and all time favourite scent! Do yourself a favour and ATLEAST go to the shops and spritz some on yourself :) you won't be dissapointed! X

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love this! I've been using it since 2010, it's absolutely timeless. I used to mix this with normal vanilla perfume/spray, it compliments it beautifully.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hypnotic Poison is smooth, dark, rich, slick, and suave, like a very charming guy whom you discover is really a jerk. I like it (the fragrance, not that sort of dude). It reminds me of cola spiked with brandy next to a dish of steaming, creamy vanilla pudding thickened with almond paste. Yes, there is a slight sweetish Play Dough note due to the vanilla or bitter almonds, but the lush, almost wet, jasmine does a good job taking the edge off this unintentional plastic accord. HP smells like dessert and drinks, though it evokes the long subsequent hours between the sheetsthe aftermath of the digestif. This is what I hoped BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar would smell like. HP is the scent of the girl who plays along with the player and then enchants his best friend a few days later, the scent of the evil-eyed, smirking Snow Queen who has a powerful narcotic flowing through her veins. I think once I finish my sample, a full bottle is in my future. I subtracted one point because HP has mediocre staying power for me, especially given how pricy the juice is, but to be fair, my skin devours perfume. The only EDT concentration I find that lasts is Light Blue, so I have to wait until the rumored EDP of HP is released in America. Notes: coconut, bitter almond, caraway, jasmine sambac, tuberose, cinnamon, moss, jacarander wood, vanilla, musk.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

This fragrance took me several tries to appreciate. An initial sniff a few years back proved too powdery or coconutty for my tastes. After becoming more serious about building my perfume collection, I noticed Hypnotic Poison was often referenced as a vanilla classic, gourmand without being cloying. I gave it another shot at Sephora and once again, I was distracted by certain notes. I happen to hate tuberose and this scent does have a prominent tuberose facet. Oddly enough, my SO totally loved the scent on me and so I started wearing it more consistently. I was perusing reviews and saw on fragrantica that some find this to smell like root beer. Intrigued, I sprayed, sniffed, and realized that indeed it did give a root beer effect. I do not know why, but this fact made me like the scent more. I think it allowed me to pick up on more of the spicy, sexy qualities of the scent. I know that is a bizarre and largely psychological explanation as to why I now enjoy Hypnotic Poison but it is the truth. On my skin chemistry, I get plenty of coconut and jasmine with more vanilla and apricot in the drydown. Excellent lasting power and good sillage and I cannot resist a bottle in my favorite colors. I foresee this being in my collection for years to come.

This smelled so unbelievably bad on me...like mouthwash and dimetap and something spicy and altogether unpleasant. No thanks!

Popular Fragrances