REVLON Norell

No Image

3.7

on 8/14/2011 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

First off I purchased a new bottle of this and was disappointed with the staying power so I picked up an older bottle on ebay. The older formulation is *so* much better and wears all day on me. The newer formulation turns "soapy" on me if that makes sense. It's ok but the older version has a richness that reminds me of Gloria Vanderbilt which is another classic fragrance. I will say with the original version, which has the lettering running vertically down the bottle, can be *very* strong so be sure to only spray on a little. I gave my mom, who has never been sensitive to fragrance whatsoever, a headache while wearing it for I put on a bit too much. lol I've already picked up a backup of the original.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

A true classic, instantly recognizable. The quintessential soapy, bright "green floral"-- if you like Ivoire or Chanel No 19 or Charlie, you might like Norell. It has real presence, and has a slightly sharp/smoky edge if overapplied. I have a vintage bottle of the cologne spray and even in that strength, Norell is best used with a light hand!

**Please note** to really appreciate this scent you need to find a vintage bottle on eBay (they're cheap). You can tell the original version because the letters on the bottle go down vertically, not across. The "remake" by 5 Star Perfumes has the letters going across and it is a PALE imitation IMO. It smells soft and inoffensive, like hand cream, and for that price you may as well buy hand cream. But the original Norell is a real masterpiece.

on 1/30/2009 2:45:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Lovely vintage-style perfume. It starts with that slightly metallic edge aldehydes impart to fragrances, with floral notes and an unobtrusive base. It falls into my 'tea party' fragrance category: perfect for tea parties, afternoon weddings or church. Y'know, somewhere you'll probably wear a skirt but not a full formal. Somewhere you want to smell nice but not turn heads with your fragrance. The waiter is the only one who leans close enough to sniff you and he looks pleased. That kind of fragrance. This is a tea party fragrance with quiet class and elegance. I like it more than I thought I would for a fragrance of this era. Lovely.

on 8/10/2008 9:15:00 AM

As someone responded to my post on the fragrance board, this brings to mind mink coats and diamonds. Add a limo and a night out on Broadway. This is ***class***. I only tried the vintage Norell, and immediately hoarded two bottles. I believe it is eau de cologne but don't let that fool you - it's strong! The predominant note is a spicy, teasing carnation. At first I thought it was clove or allspice but no, it's carnation. But it has that strong, floral old school aura. Even in edc it's possible to overdo it because it's strong, lasts a long time, and has noticeable sillage. If you love old school classics like Caron French Can Can, run don't walk and find Norell. BTW, the vintage has the letters running vertically. The recent has the letters going horizontally. I haven't tried the recent so I can't speak to that but the vintage isn't hard to find.

on 4/16/2008 2:29:00 PM

It's amazing that there are reviews of this fragrance...I thought people essentially forgot about this!

Norell always reminds me of growing up in the 70's. This was my mom's fragrance for every day, so it completely reminds me of my mom. And that's not a bad thing because she was always elegant, fashionable and quite the hottie back in the day.

This fragrance is very well blended, and settles into this smoky amber moss after it's been on the skin for a while. I also like the carnation in this. It worked so well on so many women in the 60's and 70's. This is a classy, elegant fragrance to me. I could see it standing up to current fragrances.

on 7/23/2007 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I wore Norell in high school, in the '70s, and loved it's sophistication. Recently I purchased a small bottle from one of the online discounters. The bottle and box were definitely older, and the scent smells just as I remember, so I don't think it's the reformulation. Hard to know, since so many options are available - Norell is available in edc, edt, pure parfum, sprays, splashes and a host of bath and body products, all at low prices. The fragrance is a dense and complex floral that opens with a smoky moss note. This quickly smooths out and sinks deep into the flowers. I can smell jasmine, but it's the only note I recognize and it doesn't really stand out - the whole is very well blended. As the scent progresses, the flowers part to reveal glimpses of the darker notes that have been there all along: amber, sandalwood, moss, and something incensey, all tempered by a touch of vanilla. Altogether, I think Norell is just beautiful, both classy and classic, but not a prude by any means; those sly dark notes know their way around, but they're too clever to be skanky. My bottle just says "perfume spray" on it, and as I remember the bath oil is very nice. Whatever formulation you choose, you won't be out lots of cash if you don't like it - highly recommend it if you like Joy, Azuree, Fidji, etc. (although N. is truly unique.)

on 11/24/2005 2:59:00 PM

As another reviewer opined, it is difficult to believe that this complex, slightly spicy fragrance was introduced in the 60s (most sources say 1968). It has a 40s - 50s vintage air to it, and I can almost see myself in a simple, chic Norell outfit when I'm wearing it. It's not my most favorite fragrance - but its elegance makes me feel very sexy, and men seem to love it on me. I've just switched to it as my primary winter scent for private times and going out, having splurged on the shower gel and body lotion. It is NOT a daytime scent, unless you are in a business where sensual appeal is part of your job description :-) As to those who think of this as a 70s fragrance... for me that would be Halston. Norell is too too 50s in its intent.

on 7/4/2005 2:21:00 PM

I wish I loved this because I see it often enough. But it is one of a group of perfumes whose commonality I haven't yet distinguished that go painfully sharp on me. Hairspray is one aspect of the sharpness, bitter is another. Generic thick perfume accord without distinuishable notes, it leaves me literally touching my tongue to the back of my teeth at the dry-mouthed feeling it's bitterness on me induces.

Others love it, and I have to believe my problem with it is a matter of individual chemistry. I had a small bottle which I gave a roomate, and she smelled quite pretty in it, slightly tuberose-y if I recall aright. But for heavens sake, GET A SAMPLE of this before you buy it. I got my small bottle on sale and was still very irritated.

on 2/10/2004 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Norell took me back. How far back? Waaay back!...basically a seventies time machine for me. One of my mother's friends smelled like this all of the time. To me, it is a control-top pantyhose-wearing(UnderAlls) school district administrator in beige pumps.

I don't mean this is a negative way. It's just that it starts out quite serious and all high-octane floral greenish (with a slight urineous note at first) and it is not playful at all to my nose until the very end. It finally unwinds and slips out of the suit to put on something more comfortable. I like this part, on me, it's now mildly musky, moss-soapy.

There's also something in the mid-stream experience that reminds me of Wind Song(which I cannot bear to smell) but Norell hasn't made me ill in that way. However, whatever that commonality is repels me enough to avoid wearing this again. continued >>

Popular Fragrances