REVLON Norell

Filtered by hair type : Straight
No Image

4.3

on 11/15/2011 6:39:00 PM

There seems to some confusion about this fragrance. Which bottles are the original 1969's formula bottles and which are the newest Five Star bottles. Unfortunately, you can't go by the advice given in countless reviews on this page. Both the original Norell and the Five Star version have vertical lettering on the Cologne Spray bottle. Norell was originally only available in the cologne or Perfume concentrations. Any bottles in other concentrations are NOT the original formula. BUT just to make things really interesting, the cologne and perfume concentrations are available in both the original and the newer versions of Norell. When searching for vintage or original formulas you won't find them in retail stores, unless the fragrance has been newly discontinued. What you find in discounters, drugs stores and other retailers are the new cheaper, usually not as well liked versions. If you want the real thing, look on eBay, Tias and other vintage perfume sites ON LINE, NOT in retail stores. Do some research first. Look at old advertising , seen on eBay along with your search of the perfume name. But beware! Many, many sellers on eBay in particular, claim to have the original version(and don't) and you must be very careful to ask the right questions before buying. Unfortunately, many of the regular high volume fragrance sellers (not individuals selling small quantities) regularly make these claims and know them to be false. You have to ask before you buy and do some looking to become familiar with what you are looking for. Be especially careful about buying open bottles( partially used or splashes) as they are easily adulterated. Spray bottles are more difficult to tamper with. Going forward, with continuing changes in European regulations on fragrance ingredients,( banning many natural but possibly irritating components), look for more and more less subtle and less long lasting fragrance introductions and many more classic fragrance producers modifying the formulas (while swearing no changes have been made) that made their perfumes so precious to so many vintage perfume enthusiasts. There is a reason that perfumes from past decades are so very evocative.

on 8/14/2011 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

First off I purchased a new bottle of this and was disappointed with the staying power so I picked up an older bottle on ebay. The older formulation is *so* much better and wears all day on me. The newer formulation turns "soapy" on me if that makes sense. It's ok but the older version has a richness that reminds me of Gloria Vanderbilt which is another classic fragrance. I will say with the original version, which has the lettering running vertically down the bottle, can be *very* strong so be sure to only spray on a little. I gave my mom, who has never been sensitive to fragrance whatsoever, a headache while wearing it for I put on a bit too much. lol I've already picked up a backup of the original.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm really enjoying this scent. I got a bottle with the letters running vertically of the eau de cologne but the bottom sticker still says Five Star, so I don't really know which formulation I have, but I'm assuming it's the re-do. I still like it. At first spray it's a bit intense and you think you aren't going to like it and then about 10 minutes later you think, "What smells so good? Is that me?" You sniff your clothes, and yup, it's you. Love it.

I suspect I sampled the new formulation - I don't know if the lettering was vertical or horizontal but it was at a retail store and the bottle looked quite new... Anyhow, the opening phase of Norell to me was very similar to those of L'air du Temps or Wind Song, which on me are dry green florals. It dried down to a not-unpleasant though barely-detectbable base on me in about an hour. I'll take a pass on this one and just wear my L'air or Wind Song when I'm in the mood for such a scent. No Sale on the reformulation, but will update if I come across the vintage in my travels.

on 4/4/2008 6:08:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This has been my HG, signature fragrance for decades. I know, I know, never admit your age, but I began wearing this when it came out.
I've had people stop me in stores, elevators, at work, and ask what i'm wearing. Even had a guy wonder why my husband let me out the door wearing it!
I always spray it before my adult kids come home cause this is what they grew up with me smelling like.
My new sig. frag is Seringa by Floris of London, which is a bit lighter, but doesn't have the staying power of the Norell.
I am not able to say it's different from the 60's, don't remember that well. I do like Joy, but don't wear it frequently.
Even if it's an old perfume, it is truly worth a try and I like to see younger folks try the oldbies, just as I try the newbies.

on 3/22/2008 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Norell is a very dry green classic. It has galbanum on the top,
carnation, rose, jasmine, with musk, iris and sandalwood in the base.
The floral notes dominate on me and I can perceive the carnation,
rose, and jasmine alike. The base is very subtle. Reminds me
mostly of Joy and Fidji. The current version by Five Star
is not as dry and green as the original, but still a very nice fragrance
in its own right if you don't try it compare it to the vintage Norell.