REVLON Norell

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
No Image

4.3

Novell has been around a while . I wore it as a young woman thirty years ago. Having said that , Norell, is a sophisticated scent that is spicy , not intense, and and has a very expensive smell . Many of the classics were once pricy fragrances . Was it beautiful in 1986 ? Yes. And it is still a very well done fragrance for a polished or refined woman - even a young one !

on 8/14/2011 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

First off I purchased a new bottle of this and was disappointed with the staying power so I picked up an older bottle on ebay. The older formulation is *so* much better and wears all day on me. The newer formulation turns "soapy" on me if that makes sense. It's ok but the older version has a richness that reminds me of Gloria Vanderbilt which is another classic fragrance. I will say with the original version, which has the lettering running vertically down the bottle, can be *very* strong so be sure to only spray on a little. I gave my mom, who has never been sensitive to fragrance whatsoever, a headache while wearing it for I put on a bit too much. lol I've already picked up a backup of the original.

I suspect I sampled the new formulation - I don't know if the lettering was vertical or horizontal but it was at a retail store and the bottle looked quite new... Anyhow, the opening phase of Norell to me was very similar to those of L'air du Temps or Wind Song, which on me are dry green florals. It dried down to a not-unpleasant though barely-detectbable base on me in about an hour. I'll take a pass on this one and just wear my L'air or Wind Song when I'm in the mood for such a scent. No Sale on the reformulation, but will update if I come across the vintage in my travels.

on 1/30/2009 2:45:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Lovely vintage-style perfume. It starts with that slightly metallic edge aldehydes impart to fragrances, with floral notes and an unobtrusive base. It falls into my 'tea party' fragrance category: perfect for tea parties, afternoon weddings or church. Y'know, somewhere you'll probably wear a skirt but not a full formal. Somewhere you want to smell nice but not turn heads with your fragrance. The waiter is the only one who leans close enough to sniff you and he looks pleased. That kind of fragrance. This is a tea party fragrance with quiet class and elegance. I like it more than I thought I would for a fragrance of this era. Lovely.

on 8/10/2008 9:15:00 AM

As someone responded to my post on the fragrance board, this brings to mind mink coats and diamonds. Add a limo and a night out on Broadway. This is ***class***. I only tried the vintage Norell, and immediately hoarded two bottles. I believe it is eau de cologne but don't let that fool you - it's strong! The predominant note is a spicy, teasing carnation. At first I thought it was clove or allspice but no, it's carnation. But it has that strong, floral old school aura. Even in edc it's possible to overdo it because it's strong, lasts a long time, and has noticeable sillage. If you love old school classics like Caron French Can Can, run don't walk and find Norell. BTW, the vintage has the letters running vertically. The recent has the letters going horizontally. I haven't tried the recent so I can't speak to that but the vintage isn't hard to find.

on 4/16/2008 1:06:00 PM

Norell Fragrarnce was introduced in 1968 by the Design House of Norman Norell. It was the First American Designer Fragrance! It was sold to Revlon/Prestige in 19991, then to Five Star Fragrance Co.in 1997 or so. Once one of the finest fragrances, sold in high-end department stores, it can now be found at such stores asTarget, KMart, and Walgreen's - at very low prices. It is still the most wonderful scent! I have worn it for about 25 years and still receive compliments on a daily basis! It is soft and non-offensive, even to the fussiest nose! It is also readily available online at several fragrance/beauty websites. I recently purchased a 3.3 oz. Norell Eau de Toilette Spray for under $25.00! You can find the Pure Parfum, .25 oz. for about $20, online. It is a wonderful fragrance for women over 40, or so. It is my signature fragrance. Bad news is that Five Star Fragrance Company is for sale. What will happen to my beloved Norell????????????

on 11/24/2005 2:59:00 PM

As another reviewer opined, it is difficult to believe that this complex, slightly spicy fragrance was introduced in the 60s (most sources say 1968). It has a 40s - 50s vintage air to it, and I can almost see myself in a simple, chic Norell outfit when I'm wearing it. It's not my most favorite fragrance - but its elegance makes me feel very sexy, and men seem to love it on me. I've just switched to it as my primary winter scent for private times and going out, having splurged on the shower gel and body lotion. It is NOT a daytime scent, unless you are in a business where sensual appeal is part of your job description :-) As to those who think of this as a 70s fragrance... for me that would be Halston. Norell is too too 50s in its intent.