REVLON Norell

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/14/2011 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

First off I purchased a new bottle of this and was disappointed with the staying power so I picked up an older bottle on ebay. The older formulation is *so* much better and wears all day on me. The newer formulation turns "soapy" on me if that makes sense. It's ok but the older version has a richness that reminds me of Gloria Vanderbilt which is another classic fragrance. I will say with the original version, which has the lettering running vertically down the bottle, can be *very* strong so be sure to only spray on a little. I gave my mom, who has never been sensitive to fragrance whatsoever, a headache while wearing it for I put on a bit too much. lol I've already picked up a backup of the original.

on 8/10/2008 9:15:00 AM

As someone responded to my post on the fragrance board, this brings to mind mink coats and diamonds. Add a limo and a night out on Broadway. This is ***class***. I only tried the vintage Norell, and immediately hoarded two bottles. I believe it is eau de cologne but don't let that fool you - it's strong! The predominant note is a spicy, teasing carnation. At first I thought it was clove or allspice but no, it's carnation. But it has that strong, floral old school aura. Even in edc it's possible to overdo it because it's strong, lasts a long time, and has noticeable sillage. If you love old school classics like Caron French Can Can, run don't walk and find Norell. BTW, the vintage has the letters running vertically. The recent has the letters going horizontally. I haven't tried the recent so I can't speak to that but the vintage isn't hard to find.

on 4/16/2008 1:06:00 PM

Norell Fragrarnce was introduced in 1968 by the Design House of Norman Norell. It was the First American Designer Fragrance! It was sold to Revlon/Prestige in 19991, then to Five Star Fragrance Co.in 1997 or so. Once one of the finest fragrances, sold in high-end department stores, it can now be found at such stores asTarget, KMart, and Walgreen's - at very low prices. It is still the most wonderful scent! I have worn it for about 25 years and still receive compliments on a daily basis! It is soft and non-offensive, even to the fussiest nose! It is also readily available online at several fragrance/beauty websites. I recently purchased a 3.3 oz. Norell Eau de Toilette Spray for under $25.00! You can find the Pure Parfum, .25 oz. for about $20, online. It is a wonderful fragrance for women over 40, or so. It is my signature fragrance. Bad news is that Five Star Fragrance Company is for sale. What will happen to my beloved Norell????????????

on 3/22/2008 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Norell is a very dry green classic. It has galbanum on the top,
carnation, rose, jasmine, with musk, iris and sandalwood in the base.
The floral notes dominate on me and I can perceive the carnation,
rose, and jasmine alike. The base is very subtle. Reminds me
mostly of Joy and Fidji. The current version by Five Star
is not as dry and green as the original, but still a very nice fragrance
in its own right if you don't try it compare it to the vintage Norell.

on 7/23/2007 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I wore Norell in high school, in the '70s, and loved it's sophistication. Recently I purchased a small bottle from one of the online discounters. The bottle and box were definitely older, and the scent smells just as I remember, so I don't think it's the reformulation. Hard to know, since so many options are available - Norell is available in edc, edt, pure parfum, sprays, splashes and a host of bath and body products, all at low prices. The fragrance is a dense and complex floral that opens with a smoky moss note. This quickly smooths out and sinks deep into the flowers. I can smell jasmine, but it's the only note I recognize and it doesn't really stand out - the whole is very well blended. As the scent progresses, the flowers part to reveal glimpses of the darker notes that have been there all along: amber, sandalwood, moss, and something incensey, all tempered by a touch of vanilla. Altogether, I think Norell is just beautiful, both classy and classic, but not a prude by any means; those sly dark notes know their way around, but they're too clever to be skanky. My bottle just says "perfume spray" on it, and as I remember the bath oil is very nice. Whatever formulation you choose, you won't be out lots of cash if you don't like it - highly recommend it if you like Joy, Azuree, Fidji, etc. (although N. is truly unique.)

on 2/25/2005 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Oh, dear. I have wanted to try this for years & years and finally scored a little mini on Ebay. And the topnotes are divine, exactly what I love, but that only lasted a minute. Really. Like a minute. And now it smells very distinctly of... hairspray. And patchouli, which I loathe. Boy. This smells nothing like other reviewers' descriptions -- could this be one of the bad bottles maquillage mentioned? Yoiks. I'm going to have to wash this off before I can eat dinner.

on 2/10/2004 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Norell took me back. How far back? Waaay back!...basically a seventies time machine for me. One of my mother's friends smelled like this all of the time. To me, it is a control-top pantyhose-wearing(UnderAlls) school district administrator in beige pumps.

I don't mean this is a negative way. It's just that it starts out quite serious and all high-octane floral greenish (with a slight urineous note at first) and it is not playful at all to my nose until the very end. It finally unwinds and slips out of the suit to put on something more comfortable. I like this part, on me, it's now mildly musky, moss-soapy.

There's also something in the mid-stream experience that reminds me of Wind Song(which I cannot bear to smell) but Norell hasn't made me ill in that way. However, whatever that commonality is repels me enough to avoid wearing this again. continued >>

Popular Fragrances