REVLON Norell

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
No Image

4.5

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm really enjoying this scent. I got a bottle with the letters running vertically of the eau de cologne but the bottom sticker still says Five Star, so I don't really know which formulation I have, but I'm assuming it's the re-do. I still like it. At first spray it's a bit intense and you think you aren't going to like it and then about 10 minutes later you think, "What smells so good? Is that me?" You sniff your clothes, and yup, it's you. Love it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

A true classic, instantly recognizable. The quintessential soapy, bright "green floral"-- if you like Ivoire or Chanel No 19 or Charlie, you might like Norell. It has real presence, and has a slightly sharp/smoky edge if overapplied. I have a vintage bottle of the cologne spray and even in that strength, Norell is best used with a light hand!

**Please note** to really appreciate this scent you need to find a vintage bottle on eBay (they're cheap). You can tell the original version because the letters on the bottle go down vertically, not across. The "remake" by 5 Star Perfumes has the letters going across and it is a PALE imitation IMO. It smells soft and inoffensive, like hand cream, and for that price you may as well buy hand cream. But the original Norell is a real masterpiece.

on 1/27/2009 12:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

First, I would like to thank the lovely ladies on here that recommended it, and helping me get the courage to try it. Thank you!! I'd also like to give a shout out to The Bombshell Manual of Style, which is what planted the seed of "must have norell" in my head. I bought the version by 5 star, which bought it from Revlon. I have never smelled the original but my mother went crazy when she smelled this, telling me how all of her mothers glamorous friends would wear this, my sin, and arpege. she said to me "Elizabeth, it smells old, but it smells glamorous. Bring it back, baby!"
And honestly, I do FEEL glamorous wearing it. It doesn't smell completely unique, and the bottle cap is a bit cheap, but there is something about it. Every time I get a whiff of it I just want to swoon and sashay. I've already had 4 ladies ask me what I was wearing, and when I told them their face went from puzzled to knowing, to excited. I'm in love with it. They say :This feminine scent possesses a blend of green florals, oakmoss, amber, musk, jasmine and rose. Whatever it is it's a winner for me. It was 19 dollars for the 2.3 cologne, not EDT.
I can certainly see why some would not like it, and honestly since I bought without smelling it, I thought I would not like it either. It isn't very trendy or sweet. It's really mature but not in the old woman sense, but in the doesn't smell of cotton candy and latex sense. I thought my boyfriend would despise this, because it's so different from my usuals (fracas, princess, insolence, etc), which he doesn't notice or comment on anyway. He FREAKED when he got close to me, it's like he was a blood hound smelling steak, he would not stop smelling my neck and asked me what I was wearing. He said it smelled delicious and familiar, he couldn't quite put his finger on it (probably his mom when he was a kid). It's just that my other perfumes cost in the 80's and this cost in the teens, and this one gets reactions.
Faye Dunaway used this. My bombshell manual says this scent is good with eyelet, charmeuse, and strapless white gowns.
I might make this my signature, I just wish it would stay strong all day. (or maybe my nose is just used to it.) My next bombshell scent I will try is L'heure Bleue.

on 8/21/2008 8:15:00 PM

Well I happened to be at Tuesday Morning today and found that they have stock of this lovely, classic fragrance.

I had read some reviews here, so I picked it up. I'm so glad I did...I had no idea that this was my grandmother's fragrance but it brings back so many memories! The scent has already been described, but this is truly an elegant and timeless perfume. For me, the first blast is a bit too powdery or floral, but the dry down is perfection.

I'm not sure if this is old stock or new, since Tuesday Morning has closeouts and discontinued items, but it was quite a find! Eau de Cologne was only $16 for 2.3oz.

on 3/22/2008 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Norell is a very dry green classic. It has galbanum on the top,
carnation, rose, jasmine, with musk, iris and sandalwood in the base.
The floral notes dominate on me and I can perceive the carnation,
rose, and jasmine alike. The base is very subtle. Reminds me
mostly of Joy and Fidji. The current version by Five Star
is not as dry and green as the original, but still a very nice fragrance
in its own right if you don't try it compare it to the vintage Norell.

on 12/7/2004 11:37:00 AM

Norell is the smell of the late 1970's for me. It takes me back to skipping school, hopping a bus to the city and shopping all day. There was one huge department store that smelled of Norell the minute you opened the big gilded doors. It was like entering heaven to me. Nothing has ever come close. I ALWAYS keep a bottle of this on hand and love. love love it!