Revlon Norell

No Image

on 2/10/2004 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Norell took me back. How far back? Waaay back!...basically a seventies time machine for me. One of my mother's friends smelled like this all of the time. To me, it is a control-top pantyhose-wearing(UnderAlls) school district administrator in beige pumps.

I don't mean this is a negative way. It's just that it starts out quite serious and all high-octane floral greenish (with a slight urineous note at first) and it is not playful at all to my nose until the very end. It finally unwinds and slips out of the suit to put on something more comfortable. I like this part, on me, it's now mildly musky, moss-soapy.

There's also something in the mid-stream experience that reminds me of Wind Song(which I cannot bear to smell) but Norell hasn't made me ill in that way. However, whatever that commonality is repels me enough to avoid wearing this again. continued >>

on 2/13/2004 8:25:00 PM

God, how I love Norell! A bright floral with an underlying note of green...This is one of my three favorite fragrances. I have the body lotion, the dusting powder, the perfume, the EDT, and the cologne-and I love them all. Very fullbodied, feminine , and 'complex'. This is a true classic, and such a glorious fragrance I find it hard to believe it's only from 1967. It's a floral, but more of a musky floral over the green/cyphre/moss bass, so it's not too sweet, as florals often are. Has a bit of an 'oily' smell to the base-which I much prefer to the SD alcohol smell of cheaper scents. And Norell is hardly a wallet-buster! I cannot imagine ever growing tired of this fragrance.

on 9/20/2004 8:45:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I really like Norell, it's not what I usually go for in that it's classified as a sharp flowery fragrance. However, I've never found it to be too much of anything. On me it's very soft and lovely and what I'd describe as elegant and I think it smells expensive, which it sure is not. I also love beautiful perfume bottles and I think the Norell bottle has a wonderful Art Deco look even though it came along after that period. I always appreciate it when a fragrance and it's bottle are a perfect match and Norell is.

on 12/7/2004 11:37:00 AM

Norell is the smell of the late 1970's for me. It takes me back to skipping school, hopping a bus to the city and shopping all day. There was one huge department store that smelled of Norell the minute you opened the big gilded doors. It was like entering heaven to me. Nothing has ever come close. I ALWAYS keep a bottle of this on hand and love. love love it!

on 12/7/2004 11:42:00 PM

I can hardly believe there are reviews of Norell after all this time. Norell is one great scent! It is elegant and refined just like the designer's clothes in the 70's. I have always had the most wonderful complements when I wore this. Unfortunately, the quality control is not the best anymore. You can get some very poor stock and then you get the bottle that is delicious! Just like the wonderful parfume I remember. I wish they would reintroduce it with the full line of products again. If you can find it...try it. You may be very happy you did.

on 2/25/2005 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Oh, dear. I have wanted to try this for years & years and finally scored a little mini on Ebay. And the topnotes are divine, exactly what I love, but that only lasted a minute. Really. Like a minute. And now it smells very distinctly of... hairspray. And patchouli, which I loathe. Boy. This smells nothing like other reviewers' descriptions -- could this be one of the bad bottles maquillage mentioned? Yoiks. I'm going to have to wash this off before I can eat dinner.

on 7/4/2005 2:21:00 PM

I wish I loved this because I see it often enough. But it is one of a group of perfumes whose commonality I haven't yet distinguished that go painfully sharp on me. Hairspray is one aspect of the sharpness, bitter is another. Generic thick perfume accord without distinuishable notes, it leaves me literally touching my tongue to the back of my teeth at the dry-mouthed feeling it's bitterness on me induces.

Others love it, and I have to believe my problem with it is a matter of individual chemistry. I had a small bottle which I gave a roomate, and she smelled quite pretty in it, slightly tuberose-y if I recall aright. But for heavens sake, GET A SAMPLE of this before you buy it. I got my small bottle on sale and was still very irritated.

on 7/15/2005 8:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I loved Norell in the early 90's, but didn't wear it for years as it was my everyday scent during my all-time worst relationship and I didn't want to be reminded of that person or that time in my life. Many years have passed, I have a fabulous husband, and I decided to revisit Norell by purchasing a small bottle online. I tried it twice and wondered, what happened? Has my body chemistry changed that much? Did they change Norell's formula? Have I purchased a rancid sample? It seems meek and watered-down, a ghost of the sophisticated, self-assured scent I recall from years past, yet it is difficult to wash off. Then I read Maquillage's review re: "bad" bottles or batches of Norell, and I suspect that mine falls into that category. The Norell I remember was floral but not sweet, with woody and cyphre notes, absolutely wonderful. Perhaps there is still a bottle of *that* Norell out there somewhere, just waiting for me...

on 11/24/2005 2:59:00 PM

As another reviewer opined, it is difficult to believe that this complex, slightly spicy fragrance was introduced in the 60s (most sources say 1968). It has a 40s - 50s vintage air to it, and I can almost see myself in a simple, chic Norell outfit when I'm wearing it. It's not my most favorite fragrance - but its elegance makes me feel very sexy, and men seem to love it on me. I've just switched to it as my primary winter scent for private times and going out, having splurged on the shower gel and body lotion. It is NOT a daytime scent, unless you are in a business where sensual appeal is part of your job description :-) As to those who think of this as a 70s fragrance... for me that would be Halston. Norell is too too 50s in its intent.

I have to agree, there is a big difference between the "vintage" Norell from the 70ies and the new version by Five Star Fragrance. The scent is completely different! My rating is for the new Norell. I will not purchase it again. I have both, the old and new version, so I can compare them. The old Norell is breathtaking, crisp, sharp and wonderful: An aromatic floral fragrance with power!!! The new Norell smells nice and so-so, but has no similarity. Maybe the dry-down is similar. I can smell carnation in both versions. But I miss the wonderful, uplifting headnotes and the power!!! And I hate, hate, hate reformulated "cheap" masterpieces. Very disappointing!!!

Norell by Revlon for Women
Year Introduced: 1968/97
Scent Type: Floral
Top Notes: Greens, reseda, galbanum, bergamot, verbena
Heart Notes: Carnation, hyacinth, rose, jasmine, ginger lily, calla lily, jonquil, ylang-ylang, heliotrope
Base Notes: Musk, iris, sandalwood, myrrh, vanilla

"In 1968, Revlon launched Norell with the endorsement of American designer Norman Norell, whose philosophy was that one should always buy the best one can afford.
The Norell name was subsequently sold and the formula was "updated." In 1997, it was reformulated according to the original 1968 formula.
A classic floral fragrance, Norell zips open with snappy green notes, then does a slow dissolve to a rich, sophisticated floral heart. Spicy carnation and warm background essences create a luxurious ambiance, evocative of a Norell satin sheath. The glamour of Norell couture lives on in a courtly, refined fragrance that whispers of wealth. "
- Scent Profile by Jan Moran author