Revlon Norell

Filtered by age: 36-43
No Image

3.6

on 11/15/2011 6:39:00 PM

There seems to some confusion about this fragrance. Which bottles are the original 1969's formula bottles and which are the newest Five Star bottles. Unfortunately, you can't go by the advice given in countless reviews on this page. Both the original Norell and the Five Star version have vertical lettering on the Cologne Spray bottle. Norell was originally only available in the cologne or Perfume concentrations. Any bottles in other concentrations are NOT the original formula. BUT just to make things really interesting, the cologne and perfume concentrations are available in both the original and the newer versions of Norell. When searching for vintage or original formulas you won't find them in retail stores, unless the fragrance has been newly discontinued. What you find in discounters, drugs stores and other retailers are the new cheaper, usually not as well liked versions. If you want the real thing, look on eBay, Tias and other vintage perfume sites ON LINE, NOT in retail stores. Do some research first. Look at old advertising , seen on eBay along with your search of the perfume name. But beware! Many, many sellers on eBay in particular, claim to have the original version(and don't) and you must be very careful to ask the right questions before buying. Unfortunately, many of the regular high volume fragrance sellers (not individuals selling small quantities) regularly make these claims and know them to be false. You have to ask before you buy and do some looking to become familiar with what you are looking for. Be especially careful about buying open bottles( partially used or splashes) as they are easily adulterated. Spray bottles are more difficult to tamper with. Going forward, with continuing changes in European regulations on fragrance ingredients,( banning many natural but possibly irritating components), look for more and more less subtle and less long lasting fragrance introductions and many more classic fragrance producers modifying the formulas (while swearing no changes have been made) that made their perfumes so precious to so many vintage perfume enthusiasts. There is a reason that perfumes from past decades are so very evocative.

I suspect I sampled the new formulation - I don't know if the lettering was vertical or horizontal but it was at a retail store and the bottle looked quite new... Anyhow, the opening phase of Norell to me was very similar to those of L'air du Temps or Wind Song, which on me are dry green florals. It dried down to a not-unpleasant though barely-detectbable base on me in about an hour. I'll take a pass on this one and just wear my L'air or Wind Song when I'm in the mood for such a scent. No Sale on the reformulation, but will update if I come across the vintage in my travels.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

A true classic, instantly recognizable. The quintessential soapy, bright "green floral"-- if you like Ivoire or Chanel No 19 or Charlie, you might like Norell. It has real presence, and has a slightly sharp/smoky edge if overapplied. I have a vintage bottle of the cologne spray and even in that strength, Norell is best used with a light hand!

**Please note** to really appreciate this scent you need to find a vintage bottle on eBay (they're cheap). You can tell the original version because the letters on the bottle go down vertically, not across. The "remake" by 5 Star Perfumes has the letters going across and it is a PALE imitation IMO. It smells soft and inoffensive, like hand cream, and for that price you may as well buy hand cream. But the original Norell is a real masterpiece.

on 1/30/2009 2:45:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Lovely vintage-style perfume. It starts with that slightly metallic edge aldehydes impart to fragrances, with floral notes and an unobtrusive base. It falls into my 'tea party' fragrance category: perfect for tea parties, afternoon weddings or church. Y'know, somewhere you'll probably wear a skirt but not a full formal. Somewhere you want to smell nice but not turn heads with your fragrance. The waiter is the only one who leans close enough to sniff you and he looks pleased. That kind of fragrance. This is a tea party fragrance with quiet class and elegance. I like it more than I thought I would for a fragrance of this era. Lovely.

on 8/21/2008 8:15:00 PM

Well I happened to be at Tuesday Morning today and found that they have stock of this lovely, classic fragrance.

I had read some reviews here, so I picked it up. I'm so glad I did...I had no idea that this was my grandmother's fragrance but it brings back so many memories! The scent has already been described, but this is truly an elegant and timeless perfume. For me, the first blast is a bit too powdery or floral, but the dry down is perfection.

I'm not sure if this is old stock or new, since Tuesday Morning has closeouts and discontinued items, but it was quite a find! Eau de Cologne was only $16 for 2.3oz.

on 4/16/2008 2:29:00 PM

It's amazing that there are reviews of this fragrance...I thought people essentially forgot about this!

Norell always reminds me of growing up in the 70's. This was my mom's fragrance for every day, so it completely reminds me of my mom. And that's not a bad thing because she was always elegant, fashionable and quite the hottie back in the day.

This fragrance is very well blended, and settles into this smoky amber moss after it's been on the skin for a while. I also like the carnation in this. It worked so well on so many women in the 60's and 70's. This is a classy, elegant fragrance to me. I could see it standing up to current fragrances.

on 11/24/2005 2:59:00 PM

As another reviewer opined, it is difficult to believe that this complex, slightly spicy fragrance was introduced in the 60s (most sources say 1968). It has a 40s - 50s vintage air to it, and I can almost see myself in a simple, chic Norell outfit when I'm wearing it. It's not my most favorite fragrance - but its elegance makes me feel very sexy, and men seem to love it on me. I've just switched to it as my primary winter scent for private times and going out, having splurged on the shower gel and body lotion. It is NOT a daytime scent, unless you are in a business where sensual appeal is part of your job description :-) As to those who think of this as a 70s fragrance... for me that would be Halston. Norell is too too 50s in its intent.

on 7/4/2005 2:21:00 PM

I wish I loved this because I see it often enough. But it is one of a group of perfumes whose commonality I haven't yet distinguished that go painfully sharp on me. Hairspray is one aspect of the sharpness, bitter is another. Generic thick perfume accord without distinuishable notes, it leaves me literally touching my tongue to the back of my teeth at the dry-mouthed feeling it's bitterness on me induces.

Others love it, and I have to believe my problem with it is a matter of individual chemistry. I had a small bottle which I gave a roomate, and she smelled quite pretty in it, slightly tuberose-y if I recall aright. But for heavens sake, GET A SAMPLE of this before you buy it. I got my small bottle on sale and was still very irritated.

on 2/25/2005 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Oh, dear. I have wanted to try this for years & years and finally scored a little mini on Ebay. And the topnotes are divine, exactly what I love, but that only lasted a minute. Really. Like a minute. And now it smells very distinctly of... hairspray. And patchouli, which I loathe. Boy. This smells nothing like other reviewers' descriptions -- could this be one of the bad bottles maquillage mentioned? Yoiks. I'm going to have to wash this off before I can eat dinner.

on 2/13/2004 8:25:00 PM

God, how I love Norell! A bright floral with an underlying note of green...This is one of my three favorite fragrances. I have the body lotion, the dusting powder, the perfume, the EDT, and the cologne-and I love them all. Very fullbodied, feminine , and 'complex'. This is a true classic, and such a glorious fragrance I find it hard to believe it's only from 1967. It's a floral, but more of a musky floral over the green/cyphre/moss bass, so it's not too sweet, as florals often are. Has a bit of an 'oily' smell to the base-which I much prefer to the SD alcohol smell of cheaper scents. And Norell is hardly a wallet-buster! I cannot imagine ever growing tired of this fragrance.

Popular Fragrances