Orly Sec 'N Dry Multi-Layer Quick-Dry Topcoat

Orly Sec 'N Dry Multi-Layer Quick-Dry Topcoat

3.8

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Tosylamide Epoxy Resin, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Dimethicone, CI 60725 (Violet 2)

on 4/4/2016 12:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've tried many top coats. I like Seche but I hate the shrinkage. I forgot I had bought Orly Sec 'N Dry Quick Top Coat a few years back. I found it as I was weeding thru polishes I wanted to toss out before a move that was coming up. I sat it aside and made a mental note to try it again after un-boxing at our new place.
I love this stuff! I will never use another top coat and I hope Orly never stops making it nor changes the formula. I've never been able to make a mani lasts longer then a few days. Not anymore. I decided to try it out with different nail colors and types before I wrote this review. No matter the polish my mani now lasts for a week. It'd probably last longer but I like a change.
Being a nurse I wash my hands a lot. My mani looks as nice on the day I take it off as it does on the day I put it on. If I really want to put the ultra shine back, say before a dinner out, I just put another coat on and it dries within a few mins. and my mani looks like I just did them.

on 12/15/2015 1:36:00 AM

I bought this because I was fed up of waiting for my OPI top coat to dry, I usually paint my nails of an evening after I have done everything I need to do etc. I found it was tacky after 30 mins I use this for emergencies now, I have since bought anotherr brand which I feel dries quicker! but am always on the quest of finding another quick dry top coat.

To Read all 74 Reviews, Login or Join

My nails typically take SUPER long to dry! Even after a whole hour of dry time, they're still very sticky and touching one thing always seems to make a "dent" in the polish or if too much pressure is applied, all coats and layers of the polish will completely peel off!
I've tried almost every top coat out there and this one seems to be the winner. The Sally Hansen Insta-Dri top coats tend to leave my nails even stickier and they crack the polish within 2 days maximum.
This Orly top coat dries my nails in about 5 minutes and completely dries them to the touch in 6-10 minutes. This top coat really does dry all layers within minutes, as I typically have to use 2-3 layers for my polishes.
This top coat also pairs great with OPI polishes.

I've been using this for a few months now, and I have to admit that I won't buy it again. I like the texture (thin), but it ultimately causes my nailpolish to chip and almost flake off after a day or two. I'm thinking maybe the ratio of drying chemicals is off and it ends up just drying out the polish until it cracks off.

My advice: don't buy!

on 11/23/2014 3:04:00 PM

Love this stuff when I'm doing complicated nail art - apply it with orly bonder, your art, and then top it with this. After about a half hour, I'll apply Oh so Wet and I get a week of glossy fabulous wear!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Gives a beautiful crystal shine and will (slightly) speed up will dry a couple of THIN layers of polish that don't need help anyway. But the major problem with this it does NOT dry thick layers of polish as the name suggests. It dries the surface only but the bottom layers stay soft so the polish gets dents hours later. Other brands I use can cope with multiple layers (Seche Vite, Out the Door, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat) so this fails the basic promise. Sec'N Dry has more problems as well:

1. Slow drying compared to Seche Vite, Out the Door, and Sally Hansen. Takes around 4 minutes (4 times as long) to dry which isn't quick dry in my opinion. Might as well choose a better quality long-lasting top coat if you're going to wait 4 minutes (long-lasting top coats take 5 - 15 minutes to dry).

2. Chips easily, no better wear than wearing each polish without top coat

3. Leaves tiny bubbles ruining my layers of hard work spent painting of the perfect base and 2 coats of color at the last minute.

4. The formula is so thin and watery that it can't smooth ridged nails or glitters. Glitters still feel rough even with 2 - 3 coats (the other brands I mentioned above create a smooth and glassy feel over glitters in typically a single coat)

5. The thin watery formula rushes down the brush and pools at the lowest point, ie the edges or ridges.

6. The brush is so skinny it does not fan out like my other brushes so it won't spread evenly and patches are missed

7. The hard thin skinny brush drags into the polish and removes patches of color (balding).

I would not use this even if it was given away absolutely free!!!!

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This top coat is on the thinner side which may be a plus to some but I do not enjoy it since it doesn't seem to smooth everything out. The top coat will probably thicken up a bit with more time though so I am not too concerned about it. However I also feel like this top coat doesn't give me the same shine that others do and the dry time is faster than a normal top coat yet it doesn't dry nearly as quick as I would like a fast dry top coat to be. It can take over two hours for it to be completely hard and up to around seven minutes to even be dry to the touch. On a positive note, this top coat does not shrink my polish, bubble, or crack, and it seems to keep my polish on for up to a week (with base coat-Orly Bonder). Overall though, I would not recommend this to others because it doesn't dry very quickly and that is the purpose of the top coat.

on 3/25/2014 12:48:00 PM

HG right here!

on 2/6/2014 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm surprised by all the rave reviews for this product. I really wanted to like it since I'm not a huge fan of Seche Vite and I wanted something that would dry faster, but this topcoat has been really disappointing. It does dry fairly quickly but it chips my manicure within 24 hours. I'll be using SV from now on until I find something better.

on 10/26/2013 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I feel like Orly is highly underrated. I used to use Seche Vite as my go-to quick dry topcoat, but was really turned off at the fact that it has toluene in it. The smell of Seche was almost too strong for me to handle most of the time. So, I was on a quest to find a quick-dry topcoat that was Big 3-free, and lo and behold, I found Orly Sec 'n Dry! What a bargain!

You have to wait until your nails are nearly dry before putting this on, unlike Seche (which may be a con for some people). One of the best things about Sec 'n Dry is that it has a really thin and highly workable consistency. It doesn't get thick and goopy at all. It melts away most imperfections and has a really glossy finish. I also have found that it actually makes my polish last a lot longer than Seche as well. No complaints at all! I'm so glad I discovered it. Try it out!