NARS Mata Hari

NARS Mata Hari
Mata Hari NARS Mata Hari

4.5

Editing to add: over the last year I've been getting cystic acne on my cheeks. Finally I realized it was exactly where I apply my blush. I've stopped using my NARS Mata Hari blush for 2 months, and the breakouts have gotten much better. I think I've become sensitive or allergic to an ingredient in the blush (full disclosure, I think it's the talc but I won't go into all the reasons why). I'm not lowering my review because I think it's unreasonable to do that for an allergy or sensitivity that not everyone has, but I did want to add this update in case it helps someone else who might be having issues with NARS blush.

I used NARS blush in Dolce Vita for a long time. Then I began dying my hair a cool pearly blonde and it didn't quite work with my coloring anymore. I typically go for a natural makeup look, so Mata Hari freaked me out a bit because it looks so vibrant in the pan. However, when applied it translates to a very natural-looking flush: healthy and pink without being Barbie-ish.

What others have said about how intensely pigmented is true. A *very* light hand is needed. This is a drawback in some ways for me, because I find even after lightly touching my blush brush to the product and sweeping it on, attempting to blend it out with the same brush actually seems to strengthen the intensity of the blush on my cheeks. I'd prefer something I could blend a bit better without worrying about somehow applying more.

NARS blushes also have crazy staying power. The first time I used a NARS blush after using MAC Cubic for years, I was amazed when I got home after being out all day and the color had barely faded. The same is true of Mata Hari.

As for the price, yes it's expensive. However in my experience, it will take a very long time before you hit pan - I'm talking years. There's a lot of product in there, plus because of how intensely pigmented it is, you use very little with each application. I'm more than likely going to get bored and move onto another blush before I actually run out of this one. So NARS blushes aren't great for experimenting, but for a daily blush, it's actually good value. I'm more than happy to go drugstore for a makeup product if I think there isn't a big difference in quality, but imho NARS blushes are actually better than most drugstore blushes.

on 7/11/2017 11:34:00 AM

I like this, it's very pigmented and stays put. I will agree with other reviews that you need an extremely light hand to put it on. I just feel that for the price there are plenty cheaper that do the same job.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

If every NARS blush had the same formulation as Mata Hari, I would most likely have them all. Unfortunately a couple of their shimmery blushes have been streaky and blotchy on my face, which for +$20 is simply not acceptable. Thankfully, their matte blushes are quite gorgeous and Mata Hari is a very safe buy if you're going for a vibrant neutral pink.
The pigmentation is good, and there is a creaminess and blendability that makes it easy to apply and build on. The color is lovely, a bright but NOT garish pink, that hints at mauve in the pan but goes on quite neutral. It is not chalky or powdery.
I love the packaging, it is NARS simplistic look with a mirror which I wish more blushes would come with. You do get a decent amount of product for the price, but I have hit pan on some of their blushes without using them very often. It's a personal matter, whether someone feels like paying a bit more for a blush when there are drugstore options that look just as nice, but I like to take a little from both sides and judge each item on its merit. Mata Hari is indeed worth the money if you ask me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

It's a beautiful blush, the application is amazing, but like a few other reviewers, this color changes on me. I don't care for shimmer at all, so I tried this one since it's one of the few cool colors from Nars without shimmer. As I swiped it across my cheeks, I couldn't believe how translucent it looked and how easy it was to blend, but that's where it ended for me. It was not the pink that everyone describes, but an orange-y brown, and not attractive on my neutral skin tone. Pity...it's beautiful in the pan, but it appears that Nars and I are just not meant to be.

on 2/3/2015 3:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wear this blush almost every day. Even though my skin is so white it practically glows in the dark, and I work long shifts on my feet and often sweating, this blush goes on like a dream, looks completely natural, and stays put all day. It's pricey, but a little goes a long way, and I've barely made a dent in the pan I've had for almost a year. The packaging is great too--I carry my makeup with me in my purse, and while many makeup pans crack or break with all that wear and tear, I don't have to worry about NARS blush.

on 9/19/2014 7:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This blush is gorgeous. It looks crazy bright in the pan, and it actually is. Apply with a light hand! For lighter skin you would have to be quite careful. For this reason though, it lasts forever.

Pigmented, good lasting power and it really brightens up your face. It does irritate my skin if I wear it daily, so I use it on days when I'm looking extra tired.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

This blush is really pigmented and comes in a pretty unique color. I have to say I like angelika and orgasm a bit better, but this one is nice as well. Too much and it can look a bit clown ish.

Close call between this and orgasm. This is a bit more pigmented, I love it just as much!

I am about nc25-30 and this blush looks amazing. I usually don't like wearing blushes but this one looks really natural. I use just a little bit to give myself a flush and it looks perfect and brightens up my face. I would recommend to any light to medium skin color gals.

on 5/17/2014 9:57:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I have about NC20 skin for reference. I really like this blush, I think it's a great colour for me and has one of the best staying powers of any blush I own (chanel cream blush, mac powder blushes, drugstore blushes) I worked from 11 am to 10:30 pm (waitressing) and I could still see the colour (albeit slightly faded around the edges) by the time I went to shower. It's also so pigmented which I love. I just tap my brush in pan then tap onto my face. Swirling would use too much product. I think if this colour looks good on you it's definitely worth the investment.