Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve

Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve
Ultimate Strength Hand Salve

4.4

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric/Stearic Tiglyceride, Butylene Glycol,Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Hydrogenated Stearyl Olive Esters, Butyrospermum Parkii/Shea Butter, Ceteary Alcohol, PEG-75 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, BIS-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Sesamum Indicum/Sesame Seed Oil, Squalane, Dimethicone, Ceteth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Persea Gratissima/Avacado Oil, Steareth-20, Ceteareth-20, Methylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tocopheryl Acetate, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Eucalyptus Globulus/Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Allantoin, Disodium EDTA, Aloe Barbadensis/Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice 685230/5 Code F.LL.: D8409/1 Made In U.S.A. 1/26/12

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I teach Food and Nutrition, I wash my hands a LOT and I'm always looking for good hand-creams to repair the damage done by the frequent hand washing. I LOVE this hand salve by Kiehl's. My daughter and son in law turned me on to it and I've been using it probably since Christmas. I appreciate the fact that this comes in a larger sized tube for some savings and in a smaller one that it more readily portable when I'm travelling. Because it's pricey, I don't use this throughout the day but I do use it first thing in the morning, when I get home from school, at night and on weekends and it really helps keep my hands from drying out. I don't find it particularly greasy but it is a "salve" rather than a hand lotion so it is a bit thicker and perhaps greasier but not to the point of unpleasantness. It's a great product! I'm hoping Kiehl's comes out with a similarly effective foot cream one of these days.

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I honestly disliked this a lot. I found it to be greasy, and for being so greasy not very moisturizing. I wouldn't repurchase

on 8/7/2016 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve off and on for several years. Plus I've tried countless other products over my lifetime. Of the things I've tried, this hand salve is the best I've found for dealing with very dry hands--even in very dry climate conditions when it seems like nothing else will work. When my hands are dry and rough from washing often, this is the product that softens the rough patches and helps cracks heal. It is truly a first aid for hands in bad shape, and is excellent for maintaining hydration and softness.

The product has a medicinal smell that comes from its eucalyptus oil ingredient. Eucalyptus oil has antibacterial qualities. Considering hands are great breeding grounds for all kinds of microbes, I think the oil is well placed in this product, for those who can tolerate the smell, which is faintly reminiscent of a Vicks inhaler. Although the oil has a reputation for being potentially irritating to the skin, I have had no issues.

Since the salve does not contain sunscreen, I use it mainly at night and if I am inside at work. I have tried using it instead of body lotion. Ironically, I found it did not work as well on keeping my arms and legs hydrated. Perhaps this is because I am not repeatedly applying it as I do after hand washing. Although this product is not as versatile as I would like, the fact that it does one thing extremely well is worth the slightly high price tag. I definitely will repurchase.

on 10/6/2015 12:34:00 AM

This is my all time favorite hand cream, and I've tried many. I love this stuff because it's extremely hydrating but it absorbs really quickly. I usually apply hand cream at night, and if my hands end up touching my face at night while I sleep it won't break me out, which is a bonus. It smells like eucalyptus, which I actually find to be soothing and therapeutic. After applying it I wake up with super soft hands. (For reference, I'm a bartender/server so I'm constantly washing my hands and doing dishes, which makes my hands extremely dry)

on 5/7/2016 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

It is a really neat cream because of it's formula and it absorbs fast in my skin. It gives the moisture it needs and leaves a really nice smell of mint and aloe vera. It has a cold feeling on the skin which makes it really relaxing and has like a thick balsamic touch. It is actually my first hand cream, but for now I am happy with it!

on 12/10/2016 12:47:00 AM

The reason why I do not consistently purchase this is the price as it can be expensive for a small tube. I think I got it for $20CAD. Working in healthcare I would wash my hands many times a day and I live in a very cold and dry climate, therefore my hands are chapped, dry, itchy and uncomfortable. I may use it once or twice a shift but because it is so expensive I use whatever my work would provide. I love this product because at the end of my shift I would lather this salve on my hands and the feeling of dry and itchiness would disappear and it feels like a spa moment because of the eucalyptus scent and my hands being wrapped in moisture. With constant use, my hands are softer, supple and moisturized. Even my cuticles look good and the areas where my skin has been cracked are sealed. It absorbs quickly, but in summer if you use it it may feel a tad slimy if your palms start sweating. I recommend if your hands are severely dry and it's your first time using this, one coat may not be enough the first time. Putting on another coat helps moisturize the skin a bit more and then after that I notice I only needed one coat. Or trouble spot the dry spots and dab more salve on the area as needed.

on 9/15/2014 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

The only thing that seems to work on a stubborn patch of eczema on the back of my hand. I dislike the smell and the feeling when I get this one my face by accident. Also it's pricey, but I'm willing to fork over the money as long as it continues to work.

on 5/20/2015 6:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I know this is their top selling hand cream, but yuck, yuck, yuck.

This salve is, to me, very greasy feeling. It has dimethicone, which I personally detest, but some people like it as it creates a sort of moisture barrier, which some say will "hold moisture in". Products with dimethicone are recommended for people who wash their hands a LOT, as I did when I was in healthcare, but I just hate that sticky, greasy feeling of product sitting on top of the skin.

Underneath the slime coat, it does moisturize.

I also don't care for the smell. Some find it "fresh". I find it too medicinal.

I much prefer their cream for callouses. Still, lots of people love this, so I wouldn't recommend AGAINST giving it a try. YMMV.

on 5/22/2014 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

My hands dry out very badly in cold weather. When I was a kid, they actually used to crack and bleed in winter! Nowadays they just get very dry but this hand salve works really well at keeping them soft and smooth. It's quite expensive for the amount you get, but it's something that actually works so I don't mind the cost.

The packaging is the worst aspect of this salve, which is very rich and when you try to get the last little bit out it's pretty much impossible. You'll have to cut it open and keep it in a ziploc bag so it doesn't dry out to get the most out of it.

on 2/1/2015 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this hand cream. It is very thick and rich for dry skin but takes only a few seconds to absorb without leaving a greasy feeling. The smell is amazing. It smells like eucalyptus which reminds me of the spa. I am sensitive to smells because they can give me headaches but this smell last only a few seconds and really isn't overwhelming. This is now, by far, my favorite hand cream and I will definitely be repurchasing.