Paula's Choice Barely There Sheer Matte Tint SPF 30

3.7

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 5%; Zinc Oxide 5% (mineral-based sunscreens). Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclomethicone (silicone slip agent), Propylene Glycol (water-binding agent), PEG/PPG-118/18-Dimethicone (silicone-based emulsifier), Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate (thickener), Talc (absorbent), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Phytantriol (water-binding agent), Tocopherol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (antioxidants vitamin E and C), Boron Nitride (absorbent), Glycerin (slip agent), Palmitic Acid (thickener), Dextrin Palmitate (emulsifier), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben (all preservatives). May Contain: Iron Oxides, Ultramarines (FDA-approved cosmetic pigments).

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I gave this a go for quite awhile but just couldn't make it work. It didn't work well for me as a moisturizer, as it never settled into my skin - it just sat there all day and felt cakey. And it wasn't the slightest bit matte. I felt like this really emphasized all of my pores and imperfections and it wasn't comfortable to wear. The only thing I liked about this product was the color - the yellow tones of all the Paula's choice tinted products and foundations work well for me, though I know they won't for others.

I prefer the PC Best Face Forward foundation over this, as it's more matte and absorbs more comfortably, and it has about the same level of coverage even though it's called a foundation instead of a tinted moisturizer.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I bought this tinted moisturiser on a whim (it was on sale for $10) and was surprised how much I liked it. It spreads on very evenly and is the most natural looking tinted moisturiser I have ever worn.

The coverage is very light, so I usually follow-up with concealer or foundation on troubled areas.

My only complaint is that 1oz isn't much and goes quickly.

To Read all 181 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I have had the opportunity to try the samples of this tinted moisturizer.
Overall, I do think it is an average tinted moisturizer. Really not impressed.
The coverage is very sheer, not really buildable. You can obtain a light, almost medium coverage. If u have to hide many imperfections, as sun discolorations, forget it.
I think it was a really good option some years ago, so I can get the enthusiastic reviews here, but now there are better options out there. I think the price is too expensive, especially if you are going to buy it in the PC Europe.
I dislike the formulation: it is very standard for the price payed, and moreover, the oxidation of the product is a big lack. I have a fair/light skin, with neutral undertone, and if I wanna have a warmer color, light/medium shade is perfect. Unfortunately, after few hours, the color start to become darker with orange undertone.
Not a choice. Definitely.

I've been hunting for a tinted moisturizer for *months* and this is the best one I've found. NARS was weirdly yellow on me and Laura Mercier was way too much coverage.

I ordered 2 sample packs from Paula's Choice before ordering a full size and I highly recommend doing that.

My skin is dry-leaning combination so I need something that is actually moisturizing. This definitely does the trick. As other reviewers have mentioned, it is not really matte though. It gives me more of a dewy finish which is what I like anyway, but I do think the name "Sheer Matte Tint" is misleading.

My skin tends to dislike synthetic fragrance, so it was very important to me to find a fragrance free tinted moisturizer. Like most (if not all) Paula's Choice products, this product is fragrance free.

It lasts pretty well throughout the day but I work in an office. If I had to do anything active that made me sweat I don't think it would have much staying power through that, but it works well for me as an everyday foundation.

The coverage is exactly what I wanted. It's sheer to light so it really doesn't look like I'm wearing foundation, but it does a nice job of evening out my skin tone, hiding blemishes and dark circles. If you want a ton of coverage this is not the product for you, but if you want that "my skin but better" look, it's really great for that.

I've been using it for 6 weeks and so far so good...no breakouts. A few isolated zits when I first started using it but I think my skin is used to it now.

The only thing I don't love is the range of shades (or lack thereof.) Shade 1 is too light, Shade 2 is too dark. I mix equal parts of Shades 1 and 2 together in my hand and apply it with my fingers. The mixture seems to be a good match for my skin, but of course it would be ideal if I didn't have to mix it every day and didn't have to purchase 2 bottles when I run out.

When I bought the full size bottles it was 50% off so I paid $10 for each bottle ($20 total) which is a GREAT deal! But since it seems to be permanently marked down and subscription is no longer available, I suspect they may be DCing this. :( It seems pretty popular though, so my guess is that they're going to reformulate and re-release it? I hope they are going to have a way larger selection of shades in the re-release if that's the case. I went ahead and bought 2 backup bottles just in case it's DC'd. I might even buy 2 more.

Overall it's a great TM and I'm very happy with it, especially for the price.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have repurchased this several times over the years but my original review was 2004. Since then the SPF was increased from 20 to 30 and the colors have changed.

In the original I wore a color called Sheer Fair that no longer exists and Light 1 is the closest thing they have now. It's a good color but I prefer "Light Plus" in MAC Prep+Prime Beauty Balm which is such a perfect color for me that people just compliment my skin and don't seem to realize I'm wearing anything on top of it.

When I have not been out in the sun at all, Paula's Choice Light 1, a nice ivory, is the best shade for me, however; I can get away with Light-to-Medium 2, which is a light yellow-based beige, slightly too dark. I'm not in love with either color, though. She should keep these shades but also expand the color range. I suppose I could mix Light 1 with Light-to-Medium 2, but then I'd have to buy two tubes. I think wearing Light 1 but applying one of my powder foundations over it is probably the way to go.

Coverage is sheer to light. I have to apply concealer and use powder on top of this. But if I do that, it lasts pretty well throughout the day. My skin is combination and sensitive, not super oily. It doesn't settle into lines or emphasize problems but it's not the best at covering redness, hence the concealer. If you have oily skin, this may not be "matte" enough for you.

Fragrance free. If my skin is already irritated from contact dermatitis, there is a slight tingling but it doesn't burn. If my skin isn't already acting up, this applies comfortably. Once dry, it feels weightless.

The price is $20 for an ounce, which is cheaper than the MAC one I've been buying and the Stila TM I used to have. I think it's a good buy, if you like the colors.

Tube packaging is my favorite for trips, overnights, etc. It's nice having the convenience of SPF 30 in a lightweight formula that provides a little coverage, but I don't consider this a foundation. If you love this but want more coverage I'd recommend dusting a good powder foundation on top of it.

It's a great little TM. It's not my holy grail, mostly because neither shade 1 nor shade 2 in Barely There Sheer Matte Tint is quite as perfect a match as my MAC, but it's good enough to buy again. If she added a few shades, like a really great one-and-a-half color, I might raise my rating from 4 to 5.

I like everything about this TM except that it is definitely not matte, which is why I bought it. I'll keep looking for a matte TM I guess.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

it.s sheer and it shows my flakes
doesn.t break me out

This a pretty great but it unfortunately oxidizes a bit on my skin and ends up having a little yellow cast, which is not really acceptable since my skin is very fair with a cool tone. Here are the pros and cons:

-- Good sunscreen protection! I would prefer SPF 40+ but this is the minimum acceptable for me
-- Very lightweight
-- Sinks right in to my combination skin without emphasizing pores or lines
-- Natural, NOT matte, finish verging on luminous. Makes my skin look very healthy. I do have to use a mattifier (OC Eight) dabbed very lightly on my t-zone to not look shiny
-- Pigmented just enough to even me out without making it look like I'm wearing makeup
-- Does not rub off
-- Not very hydrating (which is fine by me); I wear it over moisturizer
-- Oxidizes and gets a slight yellow cast (I use shade 1. I wish they made a shade 0.)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my holy grail foundation. It provides SPF 30, very light hydration and sheer, naturally glowy coverage. Most women will use concealer. It has a semi-matte finish, so you may need a moisturizer.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

My oily skin feels dehydrated and extremely dry after applying this moisturizer.
I love other Paula's Choice products though.
Too bad this one didnt work for me...