4.1

package quality

price range

Reviews

25 days ago

To appreciate 4711, you have to understand that it was created to lift your mood and give you something pleasant to inhale for about 30 minutes. It has almost zero longevity and is not meant to be an all-day, or even a two-hour, fragrance. Such is a classic “eau de cologne.” And the beauty of it is that it won’t compete with any fragrance you apply on top of it. Use it the old-fashioned way: shake several drops into your palm and slap it on your neck and shoulders. 4711 is a very classical, but timelessly fresh, blend of lemon, neroli, lavender and rosemary with a bit of musk at the base. You really only smell the citrus, though. It’s just so refreshing! Don’t be afraid. There’s nothing “grandpa” about it. I have a perfectly preserved vintage (1970s/80s) bottle of this, along with one of the current formulation. The older bottle doesn’t last any longer on skin than the current one, but it does have a slightly more rounded and complex scent profile. I wore 4711 daily while traveling in East and West Germany in 1987 (back when they were still two separate countries) and the scent of it will always remind me of train travel and not being able to shower— 4711 to the rescue!— and the Berlin Wall and currywurst and avant-garde galleries. It’s great.

About reviewer (230 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

2.0

a year ago

4711 is a fragrance that goes back several hundred years I believe. My dad is 81 and he has worn it his entire life. I bought him a ginormous bottle the other day which he was very appreciative of. 4711 is a nice fresh blend of bright citrus notes like lime, orange, grapefruit and other notes. I tried it out and 15 minutes later it was gone so it's hard for me to classify this fragrance as a true fragrance or cologne or even a body mist. Maybe it's something meant for a monied English gentleman to use during hot and humid months in Britain to cool down with or a southern belle who has soaked her handkerchief with 4711 to dob her forehead in the summer heat while she is sitting on her expansive southern plantation sipping lemonade. It's nice for what it is and cool that it has stuck around for so long.

About reviewer (518 reviews)

SkinNormal, Other

HairBrown

EyesHazel

from

a year ago

This is a lovely, fresh, non-perfumey, light cologne. It is one of my favorite scents. I work in a hospital and wearing fragrance is frowned upon, if not actually forbidden. Most perfumes give me headaches too, but never this one. I splash some on my neck and shoulders after a shower and dab some on my wrists and that is enough. One reason I dare to wear this at work is that the scent fades pretty quickly. That is its only drawback, too. I have a 300ml bottle that cost about $25. It has 3yr expiration indicated on the bottle, but it will probably take me 10 years to use this up at the rate I am going. Recommended!

About reviewer (172 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair

HairBrown

EyesHazel

from

2 years ago

4711 Original Eau de Cologne by Maurer & Wirtz is a Citrus fragrance for women and men and was launched in 1792. The nose behind this fragrance is Wilhelm Muelhens. Top notes: orange oil, peach, basil, bergamot and lemon Middle notes: cyclamen, lily, melon, jasmine and bulgarian rose Base notes: patchouli, tahitian vetiver, musk, sandalwood, oakmoss and cedar. Available in 60, 90, 300, 400 and 800 ml. bottles and very affordable. You can find the 800 ml. (27 oz.) for around $40.00 If you like Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, but don't want to pay over 150.00 for 1 oz., get this and apply more often. This is very nice to wear when you want a light fragrance that is almost guaranteed to offend no one and is never oppressive. Sillage is mild and so is longevity so keep a spray decant in your purse if you want it ti last a long time when you wear it. This reminds me a lot of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino in a watered down version. I highly recommend this fragrance so unless you detest citrus fragrances, give it a try. It is a delightful and light smelling citrus scent. It is clear that it is loved all over the world because it's been around for over 200 years. Don't expect to smell all of the notes above 4711. It is fairly linear. Opens with a heavy citrus, orange blossom scent with a bare hint of spices. Most notes are in very small or undetectable amounts. When first applied it smells to me like orange blossoms and lemon. That lasts for about 15 minutes. Some of that scent is there until the very end but it becomes slightlybmingled with musk. Very linear, it opens with mostly citrus...Think of an orange, orange blossoms, lemon and neroli with a very slight dash of musk after it dries down. That's what I smell and how it smells on me but the orange blossom remains detectable on me until it completely fades away. This is very light, and does not last long at all. I found the best way to make it last longer is to decant some into a spray bottle and apply it that way and to also spray some on my clothes and nape of my neck so some gets on my hair. A dab of neroli oil with it sprayed on top helps it last longer too. I decant into a spray bottle and keep some in the refrigerator in the summer. My husband also enjoys wearing it occasionally.

About reviewer (781 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

EyesBlue

2 years ago

Have always a big 500ml bottle no matter how many other fragrances from Chanel or Guerlain I use. There are days one needs a hand full of splash after shower and only this can do. People who don't get this miss the point about real perfume tradition. It is like an exorcism against those silly things under names like Boss... Jennifer Lopez... Jaguar... Antonio Banderas... LOL

About reviewer (95 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

2.0

2 years ago

Love the bottle, it's very pretty imo. The scent I purchased because I heard it was the same as Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, it's nothing like that on me. This is much less fresh, leave more of a musky scent and does not last at all. Even after many sprays it's gone within the hour. Would not repurchase.

About reviewer (966 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Curly, Coarse

EyesGray

3 years ago

I bought a bottle of this from Amazon as the bottle always intrigued me and I wanted a light summer scent. The initial smell was one from my childhood- the handi-wipes that used to come from KFC. Lol. But it dries down on my skin to a lovely citrusy honeysuckle scent, or that of gardenia. I can see how this would mesh well with any body chemistry to give a personalized scent. Certainly not masculine on me, very delicately floral and I love it! One point off because it is so light there isn't much staying power.

About reviewer (255 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

3 years ago

4711 has been around forever for a very good reason....it's such a classic! Where I live, we have a great German deli/grocery that has morphed into an international foods, home and beauty type store. They sell Emile Henri bakeware, British jams and foods, including treacle and Lyle's Syrup and it's where I get my German made Persil laundry detergent and made in Germany Nivea cream. And it's where I get 4711. This is a standby for me in the hot, muggy Ontario summers. It's along the lines of Clarins Eau Dynamisante - citrusy, bitter and madly refreshing. I love misting myself with this before I dress when I know we're facing temps in the high 30's (and feeling like the high 40's with Humidex factored in). I will spray it onto throw pillows to freshen up our family room and onto towels when guests are coming to stay. I even spray it onto my feet when they're feeling hot and "puffy" and I don't have time for a shower! It's one of those fragrances that is so "multi use" and which I'll always have around.

About reviewer (1495 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

4 years ago

4711 was given to my mom by a special family friend. It will always remind me of our friend and my mom. I had to buy a bottle for myself on Amazon which I didn't get it yet. But I hope it's not a knock off. It was $13 for 2oz. It is sold by various venders all the way up to the 13.5oz (yes for real) bottles for $60. The cream soap is heavenly smelling too you can't stop smelling your hands. This is some really old recipe for cologne. It is over 300 years old or something. Some people swear it helps headaches. I don't think it smells like anything I've ever smelled. A little Medicinal, fresh zingy lemon, a bit of ginger very refreshing, very charming. I'm always going to keep this in my stash once I get my own bottle. It's enthralling. The unisex scent before unisex was cool. I'm crazy about anything European esp German or Austrian so this is right up my [makeup]-alley. If you like something off the beaten path the road less traveled something quaint & old world charming you need a bottle of this with an [optional] bar of cream soap. You will smell amazing, like fresh lemon zest with citronella I don't doubt that this repels insects & attracts older gentlemen.

About reviewer (2417 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

4 years ago

This is the smell of my childhood. It's extremely refreshing and, being simple eau de cologne, has plenty of uses. I like to wear it before bed as I find it extremely relaxing, and in the morning as a bit of an energy booster. The citrusy smell doesn't last very long - it's not intended to - but the deeper notes can linger for a while. It's also very cheap, and the bottles are gorgeous. I try to always have one of their small 25 ml bottles on me.

About reviewer (88 reviews)

Age25-29