4711 - Echt Kolnisch Wasser (Original Eau de Cologne)

4711 - Echt Kolnisch Wasser (Original Eau de Cologne)

4.1

I was gifted a giant bottle of this for Christmas, and my first thought was "I know it's a classic but colognes really aren't my style". I tend to go for orientals and perfumes with lots of musk. Even in summer, I love a bit of musk and civet in my perfume, and of course, I want something that will last for hours.

Nevertheless, I knew it would be absolutely lovely for scenting the bath, and for spraying on just before bed in really hot weather. Because it's so fleeting, I started liberally spraying it on when staying at home, even if I was going out later in the day. I found that I could smell this subtle bergamot/jasmine/musk combo underneath my clothes and under other fragrances.

shadedmaryy is right when she says it's a great layering agent. I've since started experimenting with it. The way that works best for me is to put 4711 on first, allowing it to dry while I get dressed, and then putting another fragrance on top of it. This way it subtly lightens the main fragrance without drastically altering the way it smells. I doubt other people would realise I've layered two perfumes, but just think I'm using a lighter strength of my usual fragrance.

Given the price, I will always have this on hand. It just feels so luxurious to be able to spritz fragrance with such abandon, and to use it in the bath instead of bath salts. It makes me feel rich, retro and decadent.

Such fun!

Edit: April 2016

Although it is Autumn where I live, we are currently having an indian summer. The weather has been very warm and I've been looking for something dry and not too sweet to wear. I have found that layering Jovan Musk for Men, applied first, with 4711, applied after it, gives me a deliciously gender neutral cologne that smells very old school without being too heavy. I find this combo smells a bit like Guerlain Heritage edt.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

4711 is a fresh light citrus blend which is a great layering agent. I find by applying the 4711 together with one or more other fragrances it just takes the edge off a sharp fragrance or tones others down nicely. By applying the stronger fragrance first then on top applying the 4711 which is lighter than most.
If 4711 is used as a stand alone fragrance, on me it starts off with a burst of citrus then very rapidly becomes a very ultra feint fresh Bergamot lemony citrus clean smelling skin scent which can last for an hour or two very close to the skin although by applying it to the hair and if it touches the clothing it lasts for longer.
Some other uses to enjoy 4711 is to sanitize hands with it, clean and sanitize makeup brushes, toilet seats and door handles.
I give this 5 for been so versatile and useful, also for been great to layer with other fragrances.
This proud bottle of fresh timeless scent is weak as a perfume after the initial burst which engulfs the air, only to leave you with a beautiful touch of fresh skin scent.
4711 is an amazing affordable piece of fragrance history, one of the oldest scents that has kept the same formula for over 200 years. I always want to keep a bottle handy.

To Read all 56 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/19/2015 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Gave me a nasty allergic reaction in the places I used it.

on 9/19/2015 1:32:00 PM

Agree with itgrrl below. I prefer 4711 to many other more expensive citrus including citrus florals such as Neroli Portifino (skin chemistry clash and ensuing sense of nausea possibly due to the floral) or creed zeste mandarin pamplemousse. ( in my review of the creed, I do mention other citruses in comparison). 4711 notes as per basenotes include: Orange,basil, bergamot, lemon; cyclamen, Jasmine, Lily, melon, rose; patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss, cedar, musk, sandalwood. IMO this is a warm citrus like Eau de Patou, but I like this better). Lies close to the skin and is not straight lemon, but citrus modified by light herbs.

No cumin as in FM Bigarade Concentree. Not as juicy as a l'Atelier cologne, like Orange a Sanguine or Cedrat Enirvant both of which are also sweeter. In comparison to the candied carbonated loud lemon opening of Eau de Guerlain on my skin chemistry, I probably would prefer this, though I do like the dry down if Eau de Guerlain.

I am not sure how this can be described as an old lady scent except perhaps for those who favor very modern mainstream sweet fruit (eg the very sweet Pacifica lemon, which I also happen to like), but this IS from 1793, and older people of course are among its many customers. Perhaps it's because some people find the opening somewhat unsubtle or bracing? All I can suggest is wait a few moments for the dry down which is evocative of niche cologne in this category. The herbal aspect tones down within a few minutes and becomes very subtle.

I like the recommendation of refrigerate and spritz, though I prefer to dab sparingly and dislike sillage. Extremely reasonably priced and widely available.

on 1/6/2014 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I searched high and low to buy this after reading on MUA that it was a close dupe for Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford. Having owned and worn it for a while, I much prefer 4711. The sillage and wear time for both fragrances are about the same on me, though 4711 has slightly less sweetness and therefore offers a more 'bracing' scent. I love how it smells on me, and find it uplifting and versatile. It's casual yet sophisticated...and judging by its 3 centuries of history, it remains modern and timeless all at once.

on 6/3/2013 11:06:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

I first experienced 4711 before Kindergarten - a German neighbor family had lots of 4711 goodies and I loved it. I've worn it off and on ever since, and I really miss it when I run out. Citrusy, refreshing, uplifting, happy-making, and it keeps me sane during Detroit Summers. I even carry it in my purse in a little spray bottle for hot flashes. The massive 27oz/798ml bottles are wonderful and last forever.

My BF gave me my current massive bottle - he chose it because he loves wearing it, too! :)

Refreshing, timeless cologne.

on 2/16/2013 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

By chance I had a spray of this when was in a shop and decided to buy it. It immediately brought back childhood memories. It has a very clean fresh citrus smell - definitely a unisex fragrance. Only downside is the fragrance doesn't last very long

It seems I can't find anything new to add about this AMAZING piece of history , Reviewers here talked about it being their childhood memories , yes I think most people have something to remember about this fragrance , It has been around for 300 years , so it must have been around for a good reason ..Even better , it 's the first and foremost Unisex perfume would ever come across ..Honestly other newer designer versions are just "Imitating " or "Duping " this ..Lovely interesting package , wonderful story and a catchy smell :D

on 9/21/2012 4:07:00 PM

A very light citrus smell like lemons. Sometimes a dead ringer for Jean Nate Body Splash. I wish it stayed on longer. Refreshing and for the price go ahead I have also found another use for this I pour it into another perfume bottle to get out the last few drops of my favorite perfume out of the bottom of the bottle. It is not too over powering and you can smell your original perfume through this one :). It buys me about 1 more week of my favorite perfume when I would have to just throw the bottle away .

Popular Fragrances