4.1

on 3/29/2018 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

4711 Original Eau de Cologne by Maurer & Wirtz is a Citrus fragrance for women and men and was launched in 1792. The nose behind this fragrance is Wilhelm Muelhens.

Top notes: orange oil, peach, basil, bergamot and lemon
Middle notes: cyclamen, lily, melon, jasmine and bulgarian rose
Base notes: patchouli, tahitian vetiver, musk, sandalwood, oakmoss and cedar.

Available in 60, 90, 300, 400 and 800 ml. bottles and very affordable. You can find the 800 ml. (27 oz.) for around $40.00

If you like Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, but don't want to pay over 150.00 for 1 oz., get this and apply more often.

This is very nice to wear when you want a light fragrance that is almost guaranteed to offend no one and is never oppressive. Sillage is mild and so is longevity so keep a spray decant in your purse if you want it ti last a long time when you wear it. This reminds me a lot of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino in a watered down version. I highly recommend this fragrance so unless you detest citrus fragrances, give it a try. It is a delightful and light smelling citrus scent. It is clear that it is loved all over the world because it's been around for over 200 years.

Don't expect to smell all of the notes above 4711. It is fairly linear. Opens with a heavy citrus, orange blossom scent with a bare hint of spices. Most notes are in very small or undetectable amounts. When first applied it smells to me like orange blossoms and lemon. That lasts for about 15 minutes. Some of that scent is there until the very end but it becomes slightlybmingled with musk.

Very linear, it opens with mostly citrus...Think of an orange, orange blossoms, lemon and neroli with a very slight dash of musk after it dries down. That's what I smell and how it smells on me but the orange blossom remains detectable on me until it completely fades away.

This is very light, and does not last long at all. I found the best way to make it last longer is to decant some into a spray bottle and apply it that way and to also spray some on my clothes and nape of my neck so some gets on my hair. A dab of neroli oil with it sprayed on top helps it last longer too. I decant into a spray bottle and keep some in the refrigerator in the summer. My husband also enjoys wearing it occasionally.

on 10/16/2017 1:06:00 AM

Have always a big 500ml bottle no matter how many other fragrances from Chanel or Guerlain I use. There are days one needs a hand full of splash after shower and only this can do. People who don't get this miss the point about real perfume tradition. It is like an exorcism against those silly things under names like Boss... Jennifer Lopez... Jaguar... Antonio Banderas... LOL

on 10/8/2017 6:49:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Love the bottle, it's very pretty imo. The scent I purchased because I heard it was the same as Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, it's nothing like that on me. This is much less fresh, leave more of a musky scent and does not last at all. Even after many sprays it's gone within the hour. Would not repurchase.

on 5/12/2017 7:58:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought a bottle of this from Amazon as the bottle always intrigued me and I wanted a light summer scent. The initial smell was one from my childhood- the handi-wipes that used to come from KFC. Lol. But it dries down on my skin to a lovely citrusy honeysuckle scent, or that of gardenia. I can see how this would mesh well with any body chemistry to give a personalized scent. Certainly not masculine on me, very delicately floral and I love it! One point off because it is so light there isn't much staying power.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

4711 has been around forever for a very good reason....it's such a classic! Where I live, we have a great German deli/grocery that has morphed into an international foods, home and beauty type store. They sell Emile Henri bakeware, British jams and foods, including treacle and Lyle's Syrup and it's where I get my German made Persil laundry detergent and made in Germany Nivea cream. And it's where I get 4711. This is a standby for me in the hot, muggy Ontario summers. It's along the lines of Clarins Eau Dynamisante - citrusy, bitter and madly refreshing. I love misting myself with this before I dress when I know we're facing temps in the high 30's (and feeling like the high 40's with Humidex factored in). I will spray it onto throw pillows to freshen up our family room and onto towels when guests are coming to stay. I even spray it onto my feet when they're feeling hot and "puffy" and I don't have time for a shower! It's one of those fragrances that is so "multi use" and which I'll always have around.

4711 was given to my mom by a special family friend. It will always remind me of our friend and my mom. I had to buy a bottle for myself on Amazon which I didn't get it yet. But I hope it's not a knock off. It was $13 for 2oz. It is sold by various venders all the way up to the 13.5oz (yes for real) bottles for $60. The cream soap is heavenly smelling too you can't stop smelling your hands. This is some really old recipe for cologne. It is over 300 years old or something. Some people swear it helps headaches. I don't think it smells like anything I've ever smelled. A little Medicinal, fresh zingy lemon, a bit of ginger very refreshing, very charming. I'm always going to keep this in my stash once I get my own bottle. It's enthralling. The unisex scent before unisex was cool. I'm crazy about anything European esp German or Austrian so this is right up my [makeup]-alley. If you like something off the beaten path the road less traveled something quaint & old world charming you need a bottle of this with an [optional] bar of cream soap. You will smell amazing, like fresh lemon zest with citronella I don't doubt that this repels insects & attracts older gentlemen.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is the smell of my childhood. It's extremely refreshing and, being simple eau de cologne, has plenty of uses. I like to wear it before bed as I find it extremely relaxing, and in the morning as a bit of an energy booster.
The citrusy smell doesn't last very long - it's not intended to - but the deeper notes can linger for a while.

It's also very cheap, and the bottles are gorgeous. I try to always have one of their small 25 ml bottles on me.

I was gifted a giant bottle of this for Christmas, and my first thought was "I know it's a classic but colognes really aren't my style". I tend to go for orientals and perfumes with lots of musk. Even in summer, I love a bit of musk and civet in my perfume, and of course, I want something that will last for hours.

Nevertheless, I knew it would be absolutely lovely for scenting the bath, and for spraying on just before bed in really hot weather. Because it's so fleeting, I started liberally spraying it on when staying at home, even if I was going out later in the day. I found that I could smell this subtle bergamot/jasmine/musk combo underneath my clothes and under other fragrances.

shadedmaryy is right when she says it's a great layering agent. I've since started experimenting with it. The way that works best for me is to put 4711 on first, allowing it to dry while I get dressed, and then putting another fragrance on top of it. This way it subtly lightens the main fragrance without drastically altering the way it smells. I doubt other people would realise I've layered two perfumes, but just think I'm using a lighter strength of my usual fragrance.

Given the price, I will always have this on hand. It just feels so luxurious to be able to spritz fragrance with such abandon, and to use it in the bath instead of bath salts. It makes me feel rich, retro and decadent.

Such fun!

Edit: April 2016

Although it is Autumn where I live, we are currently having an indian summer. The weather has been very warm and I've been looking for something dry and not too sweet to wear. I have found that layering Jovan Musk for Men, applied first, with 4711, applied after it, gives me a deliciously gender neutral cologne that smells very old school without being too heavy. I find this combo smells a bit like Guerlain Heritage edt.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

4711 is a fresh light citrus blend which is a great layering agent. I find by applying the 4711 together with one or more other fragrances it just takes the edge off a sharp fragrance or tones others down nicely. By applying the stronger fragrance first then on top applying the 4711 which is lighter than most.
If 4711 is used as a stand alone fragrance, on me it starts off with a burst of citrus then very rapidly becomes a very ultra feint fresh Bergamot lemony citrus clean smelling skin scent which can last for an hour or two very close to the skin although by applying it to the hair and if it touches the clothing it lasts for longer.
Some other uses to enjoy 4711 is to sanitize hands with it, clean and sanitize makeup brushes, toilet seats and door handles.
I give this 5 for been so versatile and useful, also for been great to layer with other fragrances.
This proud bottle of fresh timeless scent is weak as a perfume after the initial burst which engulfs the air, only to leave you with a beautiful touch of fresh skin scent.
4711 is an amazing affordable piece of fragrance history, one of the oldest scents that has kept the same formula for over 200 years. I always want to keep a bottle handy.

on 9/19/2015 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Gave me a nasty allergic reaction in the places I used it.

Popular Fragrances