Neal's Yard Rosewater

No Image

3.8

Not tested on animals

on 12/22/2016 3:04:00 AM

I've started to use Neal's Yard products to replace Jurlique as it's more affordable. I've used this rosewater as a toner. I would say it's good but nothing outstanding. The scent is just right, not overly fragrance. So far, no irritation as I've noticed alcohol is listed high in the ingredient list.

The blue glass bottle is really nice but very heavy. Sometimes I'm afraid dropping it onto the floor.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is overpriced for a basic rosewater toner. The only positive thing about it is the blue glass packaging, which helps to preserve the essential oil. Boots Botanics makes a superior version for £4.07, which has a lower alcohol content and uses organic Damask Rose oil authenticated by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. However, price is not the issue here. Due to the high concentration of alcohol present in Neal's Yard Rosewater, it burns my skin upon application. If you have sensitive skin, think twice before purchasing. A better alternative for those with sensitive skins is Pukka rosewater, which has no alcohol and is 100% organic and ethically sourced :D

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really like this! I have sensitive, combination skin acne-prone, with dry patches and an oily t-zone, and HUGE pores. I use this after cleansing with the Rose cleanser, before my Rose Mallow moisturiser (can you tell I'm totally hooked on the Rose line?) and it leaved my skin so refreshed and just leaves my skin feeling BALANCED - not too tight and dry and certainly not oily.
my huge pores close up and become tiny; I use this in the morning before my make-up and if I skip it, my pores become so much more visible.
I simply dab a little on some cotton wool pads and wipe all over my face.
I will definiately repurchase.

on 2/10/2009 3:51:00 PM

For me, there is nothing special about this. It's refreshing, smells nice, and comes in a nice bottle. It hasn't improved my skin but hasn't irritated it either. In my case, it's just not worth the price to buy again.

on 12/12/2008 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I always have a bottle of rosewater on standby as it's a great, gentle multi-tasker. I use it as a toner, solo as a lazy cleanser or skin freshener for long journeys, pre-menstrual oily moments etc, mixed with kaolin as a simple face mask, to soak cotton wool pads before placing on eyes...and the list goes on. I bought Neal's Yard's version whilst stocking up on raw ingredients for homemade skincare. They're the most expensive supplier I know, but their ethos is admirable and their quality consistently high. They know how to package and handle their products so that integrity is maintained. In this case, dark blue glass to preserve the light-sensitive essential oil content.

Rosewater is produced through steam-distillation of rose petals, although this is an inefficient way to manufacture rose essential oil. The latter is usually done via solvent extraction using alcohol, which doesn't have the same bonus of creating rosewater. Thus the denatured alcohol NYR lists on the packaging of this product is an additive, not inherent to the rosewater itself.

It's the presence of alcohol in this that bothers my skin. Not immediately, but enough to outweigh its soothing benefits over a period of weeks. Rosewater (and rose absolute itself) is generally indicated for dry, sensitive and mature skins. However, with regular use I found this brand slightly drying and it seemed to provoke the sensitivity rashes on my cheeks - presumably because of the stripping aspect rather than active irritation. Anyone with markedly dry or oily skin that is also sensitive should proceed with caution. Cold chamomile tea bottled and refridgerated for up to a week makes a good alternative, or infuse dried rose petals in hot water. Disappointing, but I've moved on to a Pukka spray version - a piece of gorgeous and practical design, with less obviously alcoholic contents. NYR rosewater, £8/100ml.

on 1/29/2008 4:24:00 PM

Generally not a fan of toners but I like this as it's light and has a lovely fragrance. I generally use it at night after cleansing with Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish, which I love, then follow with Neals Yard Frankincense moisturiser. A perfect combo fo me.

on 1/15/2008 3:42:00 PM

I don't use toners so I am not qualified to judge this product on that basis. I have never seen a benefit from using one as part of my cleansing routine. This lives on my desk at work and I use it to wake me up and to refresh my face when it feels all yucky from the air conditioning. For that it works perfectly. It has a lovely fresh rose smell and is an instant pick me up. EDIT: 17/08/09 I think this may be discontinued as it is no longer on the website.

on 10/23/2007 5:50:00 PM

It's ok, nice smell. But I didn't fell a great effect, and I felt slightly pain on my both cheeks.

on 7/27/2007 2:39:00 PM

If you are looking for a simple rosewater and glycerin toner, this is the one. Very soothing, cooling - very similar to Chantecaille's rosewater (which I love) at a fraction of the cost. It does have a little bit of alcohol in it to preserve the rosewater, but not enough to be irritating. But it does not have paraben preservatives in it like Chantecaille, so that's a big plus. Another great natural toner to check out that's not well know: Pure Complexion Tonic by Farmaesthetics. I got a sample from a facial and it is fantastic.

Much prefer Jurlique’s rose refreshner. This one doesn’t really smell like roses and everytime I use it I get a burning sensation. Sensitive skin beware.