RCMA No Color Powder

3.8

Talc, silica

on 8/19/2017 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I have a dehydrated skin that turns into an oil slick every now and then. Laura Mercier's powder was an absolute flop for me. It caked and did not set my base at all. Saw enough hype on youtube about this one, thought "eh, I guess it's cheap". It's my favorite powder ever. My undereyes don't look gross and my cheeks are nice and matte. The foundation doesn't transfer and it stays put.
My only gripe is- I can't find it anywhere in Toronto and I hate waiting for online orders.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This product has unfortunately been so hyped up online that when I bought it I was disappointed. It is a decent product - it sets foundation, stops concealer creasing, has no colour or white cast (on my NW10 skin at least - people with darker skin tones may find that it does leave a white cast), and is finely milled - but it is not the miracle product that so many YTers and bloggers have made it out to be.

I was led to believe that it was great for dry skin, but it performs exactly the same as every other powder I've tried. Powder by its nature is not the best for dry skin, so I think that my expectations were just too high to begin with and it's not the fault of the product. I can only put a light dusting on my concealer, otherwise my face feels dry and uncomfortable. So KathleenLights' claim that people with dry skin could bake with it or dust it all over the face feels very untrue in my case.

The packaging is the deal breaker for me. It is difficult to use, powder ends up flying everywhere, and really it's a hassle. It really needs to be decanted into a smaller container with a sifter.

Really, this is a basic powder that does the job, but it's not going to revolutionise your makeup or your routine. It does the job and is a solid workhorse, but don't expect it to blow your mind.

on 5/2/2017 6:32:00 PM

I don't really understand the hype in this product. It is finely milled... but to say it's "No color" is a bit misleading. It is white. Straight up white... so if you have color to your skin, this definitely has a potential to show up/go ashy. I have little color in my skin, so that wasn't my issue. I just found this very drying and uncomfortable to wear. I ended up giving it away. At least it is not expensive, so if you don't like it, you're not out a ton of money. Honestly I hate nearly every setting/powder.

on 4/26/2017 11:05:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

NOTE: I think this only deserves a 3.5/5, but I can't give it that so 4 will do.

PROS:
- Cheap
- Smooths over skin beautifully

CONS:
- Messy packaging
- Leaves a white cast

On the website it says this product should:
1/ "keep your foundations set and dry without caking”: I have oily skin, but I only bake underneath my eyes and on the sides next to my nose, the rest of the face I use a very light dusting of powder. This does set foundation nicely and takes away the "wetness" of it. I do notice some people saying that this creases and settles on their fine lines even without baking, for me that's not the case; if anything I find it to smooth over texture very well, and I like to use it to set concealer on my textured blemishes. I've never baked with it so I can't say anything about that.

2/ "not alter the color of foundation bases": This does alter the color of your base. If you use it to set your entire face and put on bronzer later it's not so obvious, but if you're having a light makeup day and only want to set targeted areas, you'll easily notice how this leaves a white cast anywhere you use it. I got this over the Translucent because that one looks slightly peachy for me but this one ends up leaving a slight cast, so it's not perfect either.

3/ It doesn't promise to control oil so don't expect that! Just because other youtubers or bloggers claim it does something and compare it with other products doesn't mean it can live up to what they say! You should JUDGE A PRODUCT BASED ON WHAT IT PROMISES TO DO, NOT THINGS PEOPLE SAY IT DOES FOR THEM.

Overall, it is a good powder, the only thing holding me back from repurchasing it is the white cast. I will try some other stuff, and if nothing beats it, I might get back to it eventually.

I have mixed feelings about this product. I like it applied with a brush, very lightly, very delicately, just where I need it. I've tried baking with it a couple of times and it looks awful, at least on my skin. It left me a white cast, it looked cakey, just no. It doesn't control the oils on my t-zone like the Laura Mercier translucent powder but it's pretty good. I don't know, I like it but I'm not crazy about it. Also, RCMA are you kidding me with the packaging?????? awful.

I would say it's worth it because it's cheap and it does the job but it's not my favorite. I'm very ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about it.

Love! Love! Love! this powder. I no longer reach for my former HG the Nars Crystal Translucent Powder, which is like 7 times the price of this! I use it for under eye baking, applied with a damp beauty blender and all over as a setting powder with a big fluffy brush.
A container of this will last you at least two years. Doesn't settle into lines, crack or cake up.

on 1/13/2017 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

it is refreshing to have a product that is affordable and works great!
rcma no color sets makeup very well, especially my multiple smile lines so foundation doesnt crack there.
only a small amount is needed. this powder is finely milled.
truly zero colour... it looks white in the jar but it does not look white on the face.
and it has zero sparkly bits.
i press the powder in with a damp BB.
so rcma is fabulous for setting but i dont know how it does with oil if you lean that way.
i have normal skin.
i do use Laura mercier translucent pressed for touchup on the go but it is not always needed (only in very hot summer weather or during an extra long day/evening)

on 1/9/2017 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this setting powder. The only thing is, the packaging is pretty messy and impossible to use. Mine is still pretty full, so I'm able to dip a small beauty blender into it, but I'm not sure what I'll do when I can't do that anymore. Definitely a good purchase!!

This is another one of those products that is hyped for being "great value for money" so you buy it and then realise it's actually extremely mediocre so you throw it in your graveyard of a middle bathroom drawer that holds your patchy e.l.f. lip products and greasy Maybelline primers and God knows what else that you bought because they had 4+ star reviews but it turns out that was only because people were giving them two extra stars for being cheap. And then you sit there and sulk and post salty MakeupAlley reviews because you're pissed off that you've wasted so much money over the years on bad quality "dupes" from the misleading reviews when you could have saved that money for higher quality that works a lot better.

RCMA powder looks and smells exactly like flour. Had it not come sealed, I would have been genuinely curious if I had been given some weird cut version by an eBay seller trying to work his way up to dealing dodgy coke. It leaves a white cast and does not truly sink into my face no matter how I apply - I have so far tried a damp Beauty Blender, a dry Beauty Blender, a damp RT sponge, e.l.f. kabuki and a Real Techniques powder brush. It still looks obvious no matter the application, how little I use, how long I wait between primer/foundation layers drying, if I use it just to set instead of finishing (as it's not very finely milled) etc.

It feels obvious. It does not control oil, it seems to... hold it. Basically imagine putting a thin paper towel over your face. At first it's dry and all over and clearly white. That's RCMA. Then over a few hours your face oil starts seeping through, and the paper towel absorbs it and sticks to your face more. You are conscious of the weight of it on your face, you can look in the mirror and see it in place holding the oil. It does not hide the oil, it holds it and makes it look slightly blurred but it is still very clearly a layer of something that absorbed a lot of oil. A few more hours pass and the oil starts breaking apart the paper towel but it's still held in place and the texture is obvious. This is the best analogy I can think of for how RCMA looks and feels on me.

^ It should be noted that I don't even have oily skin. I have dry/mild combination. That's how much this powder sucks. I have used plenty of other mattifying products without looking cakey or getting excessively oily. I use RCMA in addition to a mattifying primer (Mecca To Save Face sunscreen) and a matte foundation (Elizabeth Arden Custom Colour Foundation). To be fair RCMA doesn't specifically state that it controls oil, but it does claim to be good for "all powdering purposes" and to set make up without changing the colour of your foundation or looking ashy and it just does not live up to any of those claims at all. Has RCMA seriously never seen someone darker than an NC15?

Now on to the good parts - it IS fantastic value for money (if you are an extremely budgeted person with pale, normal-type skin), it does take away a shiny face if you apply it halfway through the day (but be careful because it sits on top of the oil absorbed previous layer), and it did not break me out at all (and I am allergic to almost everything up to and including my own sweat). If you want to use this powder you will need a sifter container because the RCMA is basically packaged as a spice shaker.

If you can afford it, I recommend you go for Innisfree No Sebum Loose Powder instead. It is superior to this in every way except price and size. I would repurchase it but I hate the tiny container. Innisfree absorbs oil and then disappears, taking the absorbed layer with it. Which is much more preferable to RCMA deciding to take a dump on your face because you personally offended it.

Update: I bought Mac Fix + which took care of the powder issue and bad finish, but it did nothing for oil control or longevity - not that I was expecting it to. For those unaware, setting sprays (contain glycerine and/or butylene glycol in the top ~5 ingredients) mesh your powder/foundation/primer etc layers into one but don't extend the longevity. Fixing sprays (almost always misleadingly labeled as setting sprays and contain alcohol in the top ~5 ingredients) act as a protective layer and "seal" your make up to make it last longer - but it only protects the top layer. Using a setting spray (Max Fix+) first and then a fixing spray (Urban Decay Deslick) will last far longer than using just one since you're no longer protecting just the top layer, you're protecting the only layer because the setting spray meshed it.

Update 2: I switched to using Rimmel Stay Matte which I found to be nearly as good as Innisfree, but significantly cheaper. I gave RCMA away to a girl that I don't particularly like so that works out.

Update 3: The girl I gave it away to got dumped by her longterm boyfriend a week later so I no longer have hard feelings towards RCMA.

on 12/7/2016 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Personally I don't get the hype with this product but I do need an oil controlling powder, which this most certainly doesn't do. It doesn't set nor mattify my makeup so a definite was of time. So pleased I got a sample first.