RCMA No Color Powder

RCMA No Color Powder
No Color Powder

3.9

Talc, silica

This is another one of those products that is hyped for being "great value for money" so you buy it and then realise it's actually extremely mediocre so you throw it in your graveyard of a middle bathroom drawer that holds your patchy e.l.f. lip products and greasy Maybelline primers and God knows what else that you bought because they had 4+ star reviews but it turns out that was only because people were giving them two extra stars for being cheap. And then you sit there and sulk and post salty MakeupAlley reviews because you're pissed off that you've wasted so much money over the years on bad quality "dupes" from the misleading reviews when you could have saved that money for higher quality that works a lot better.

RCMA powder looks and smells exactly like flour. Had it not come sealed, I would have been genuinely curious if I had been given some weird cut version by an eBay seller trying to work his way up to dealing dodgy coke. It leaves a white cast and does not truly sink into my face no matter how I apply - I have so far tried a damp Beauty Blender, a dry Beauty Blender, a damp RT sponge, e.l.f. kabuki and a Real Techniques powder brush. It still looks obvious no matter the application, how little I use, how long I wait between primer/foundation layers drying, if I use it just to set instead of finishing (as it's not very finely milled) etc.

It feels obvious. It does not control oil, it seems to... hold it. Basically imagine putting a thin paper towel over your face. At first it's dry and all over and clearly white. That's RCMA. Then over a few hours your face oil starts seeping through, and the paper towel absorbs it and sticks to your face more. You are conscious of the weight of it on your face, you can look in the mirror and see it in place holding the oil. It does not hide the oil, it holds it and makes it look slightly blurred but it is still very clearly a layer of something that absorbed a lot of oil. A few more hours pass and the oil starts breaking apart the paper towel but it's still held in place and the texture is obvious. This is the best analogy I can think of for how RCMA looks and feels on me.

^ It should be noted that I don't even have oily skin. I have dry/mild combination. That's how much this powder sucks. I have used plenty of other mattifying products without looking cakey or getting excessively oily. I use RCMA in addition to a mattifying primer (Mecca To Save Face sunscreen) and a matte foundation (Elizabeth Arden Custom Colour Foundation). To be fair RCMA doesn't specifically state that it controls oil, but it does claim to be good for "all powdering purposes" and to set make up without changing the colour of your foundation or looking ashy and it just does not live up to any of those claims at all. Has RCMA seriously never seen someone darker than an NC15?

Now on to the good parts - it IS fantastic value for money (if you are an extremely budgeted person with pale, normal-type skin), it does take away a shiny face if you apply it halfway through the day (but be careful because it sits on top of the oil absorbed previous layer), and it did not break me out at all (and I am allergic to almost everything up to and including my own sweat). If you want to use this powder you will need a sifter container because the RCMA is basically packaged as a spice shaker.

If you can afford it, I recommend you go for Innisfree No Sebum Loose Powder instead. It is superior to this in every way except price and size. I would repurchase it but I hate the tiny container. Innisfree absorbs oil and then disappears, taking the absorbed layer with it. Which is much more preferable to RCMA deciding to take a dump on your face because you personally offended it.

Update: I bought Mac Fix + which took care of the powder issue and bad finish, but it did nothing for oil control or longevity - not that I was expecting it to. For those unaware, setting sprays (contain glycerine and/or butylene glycol in the top ~5 ingredients) mesh your powder/foundation/primer etc layers into one but don't extend the longevity. Fixing sprays (almost always misleadingly labeled as setting sprays and contain alcohol in the top ~5 ingredients) act as a protective layer and "seal" your make up to make it last longer - but it only protects the top layer. Using a setting spray (Max Fix+) first and then a fixing spray (Urban Decay Deslick) will last far longer than using just one since you're no longer protecting just the top layer, you're protecting the only layer because the setting spray meshed it.

Update 2: I switched to using Rimmel Stay Matte which I found to be nearly as good as Innisfree, but significantly cheaper. I gave RCMA away to a girl that I don't particularly like so that works out.

Update 3: The girl I gave it away to got dumped by her longterm boyfriend a week later so I no longer have hard feelings towards RCMA.

on 12/16/2016 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is another one of those YouTube made me buy it and oh lord do I regret it. I don't understand all of these youtubers who claim they have dry skin and that this is THE powder for them. I find this to be quite drying and doesn't contain any makeup setting or prolonging functions. I certainly cannot use it on my whole face as it mattifies and gives my skin a strange feel, much like smearing flour or some other dry powder, and it cakes up whenever I use a setting spray. It doesn't do that great of a job over my concealer either, my concealers (UD naked and Nars radiance creamy) seem to crease right after one or two hours, and I don't have this issue when I use a foundation powder to set the concealer.

Update: I've done two times the same at-home wear test, with applying this powder over half of my face (including undereye area) and another powder (I used Nars light reflecting setting powder) over the other half of my face. All other conditions are absolutely the same regarding foundation / skincare. After a few hours, the RCMA side shows significantly obvious pores, almost looking like the base makeup has sunken into these pores, and the side of my nose is extremely powdery and white, but the side with Nars powder does not show this and still look poreless. There is redness showing next to my nose on RCMA side, which means the foundation there has slided off a bit, again the redness on Nars side is still concealed. The worst of it all was the undereye area, which turned into this creased dry patch that you can definitely see the lines in, the Nars side undereye isn't looking that moisturized either due to the fact that I have dry undereye, but so far no texture or creasing. I repeated the same test again the next day but just switched sides for the two powders (in case my skin condition is uneven) and received the same results.
My face is usually really dry, but my foundation seems to be working very well for me lately, after I introduced an oil into my skincare a few weeks ago, so I was surprised that I could actually set it with the Nars powder (which otherwise I reserve for warmer months, because it's quite mattifying slash drying). So this proves even when my skin's condition is superb, RCMA still doesn't work for me. Needless to say, I won't be using this powder to set anything anymore. It's good riddance since I hate the packaging anyway. (Update: I gave this powder to a friend who always sports a full coverage look - meaning her skin is the opposite of dry, and she loves it. She says it is perfect for baking.)

on 8/22/2016 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this powder. I saw a review on yt by Tati and she recommended this product very highly so I decided to order it. It was only $12 from Beautylish and I have been so happy with this as a setting powder. It even works well in the Florida heat and humidity (it's summer now). This powder is not chalky at all and blends in beautifully. I do use a setting spray which prevents it from looking too powdery. It melds in gorgeously and doesn't make my T zone oily. Supposedly this isn't good for oilier skin types, which I didn't know at the time I ordered it. My skin is somewhat oily but I haven't had any issues at all. It gives a beautiful seamless finish that makes my foundation pure perfection. I shake a bit into my hand and then use a fluffy brush to apply it all over my face. I use a damp sponge and the powder to set the concealer under my eyes. I then brush off the excess with the big brush. I've used other white powders, namely Ben Nye Neutral Set and Elf HD powder, but neither of these has the same beautiful finish as RMCA. This was definitely a great purchase for me. I highly recommend this product.

I was so excited to try this powder because it was inexpensive and comes with so much product. I have combo skin currently and I understand that this isn't supposed to be a oil controlling powder, however I've tried this over numerous bases.

Tinted moisturizers, regular foundation, and it really clings to dry patches. I also tried this over the Too-Faced Born This Way Foundation and after a few hours, it mixes with your face oils and you can see it disintegrating and clustering up in your pores. This magically makes me look both dry and oily because it clings to my dry patches and patches up around where I apply it.

on 8/21/2016 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this product with high hopes as there was a lot of hype around how it's the 'miracle' powder! Unfortunately for me this just wasn't the case. I really dislike this powder; it's cakey and leaves my skin dry, dusty and textured. It also leaves white marks on my skin. The closet thing I can compare it to in texture is like talcum powder. The packaging is no thrills and very difficult to work with too but for the price this wouldn't be a huge issue for me if I felt the product worked. I wouldn't repurchase and wouldn't recommend to those who have dry and deeper skin tones.

This is in a word awful. I have dry skin, so maybe this just isn't for me, but it just looks cakey and dry on my skin. It settled into every pore and fine line I had and made my foundation look like crap. The packaging makes it really difficult to use and it gets everywhere. I hate this product and wish I had not bought it.

You would never guess it from the modest, no frills packaging, but RCMA No Color Loose Powder is the best setting powder! RCMA is not a commercial brand, so doesn't get the credit the brand deserves. This brand was designed for actors and models who work long hours under bright lights and this powder definitely holds up to light, heat, humidity and sweat. It looks white in the container but doesn't leave a white cast on skin. It does leave a matte finish. Once you apply it, your makeup won't budge. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's like invisible armour. The first time I wore it, my makeup wouldn't smear if I tried. (And yes, I did try.) It does make your makeup look less intense, so I recommend using it sparingly. Since it's so effective, you won't need much. I haven't used it in photographs, but from what I've heard, it looks invisible and leaves no flashback. It's also a bargain for the quality you get. $10 for 3 ounces or $20 for 10 ounces which you can purchase from the RCMA website, Camera Ready Cosmetics or Alcone. My only complaint is the shaker top container (3 oz.) is messy to work with and doesn't come with a powder puff. ( I recommend using a large one.) Still, that seems like a minor inconvenience for such a great product.

on 2/5/2012 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have this in No-Color. It works. It doesn't alter the tone of your foundation or color application how a lot of products do. I mainly use it under my eyes. It does feel a little drying though and not as nice of a texture as my Ben Nye Neutral Set, but Ben Nye Neutral Set leaves a white casting and this doesn't... so there you go.
Update: While it does set the foundation good and doesn't alter the tone it doesn't seem to make it last as long as other setting powders do. I feel as though with my Ben Nye Neutral Set it sets it all day long while RCMA seems to only set it for 6 or so hours before it starts to fade.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I bought the 10oz RCMA powder for $20 on Camera Ready Cosmetics. Although I said that I'd purchase the item again, I think I might have enough product to last my entire life (well if I wasn't so clumsy and didn't spill it everywhere). I am a woman of color, and I haven't had any problems with strange color casting with this powder. I usually apply it with a velour powder puff over my foundation and knock off any excess with a fluffy powder brush. I makes my makeup last hours longer without looking greasy, creasy, or cakey. The packaging of the 10oz jar is very basic, not great, in fact I tend to dump it everywhere, when I put it in a smaller (more easy to use) container. Even when I consider only the amount that I am left with "post-spillage" it's still a steal. I recommend trying this one

on 1/26/2004 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I never knew this product existed until I went to makeup school. I knew that MAC had a Pro Invisible Setting powder and I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it's good!
This baby was a required purchase for our Special FX class to set our makeup without adding any colour. It can cause a slight whitish cast at first if you use too much, but it dissipates pretty quickly. It was always gone by the time I looked in the mirror again. Also, for personal use you wouldn't need as much for setting makeup as you would, say, a 'bruise' that you didn't want to rub off on an actor's clothing.
For setting and mattifying, this baby does *rock*. When I set my makeup, I want ~matte~ and this works better than any other powder I've tried. (Including SK and LM loose powders)
It comes in a clear plastic shaker container (just like the Ben Nye powders) for $19 Cdn which holds 3X the amount my LM pot does. Bargain? You bet!
Repurchase? Absolutely!