NARS Fire Down Below

NARS Fire Down Below

4.5

Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Kaolin, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprate, Triisostearin, Polyethylene, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cellulose, Diisostearyl Malate, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Nylon-12, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Octyldodecanol, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Irvingia Gabonensis (Irvingia Gabonensis Kernel Butter), Methicone, Sodium Magnesium Silicate, Candelilla Cera [Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax], Tetradecene, Polysilicone-2, Tocopherol, Silica, Glycerin, Linseed Oil/Palm Oil Aminopropanediol Esters, Euterpe Oleracea (Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Oil), Aqua (Water), Sodium Hyaluronate.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I love this shade of red-it's not too blue, not too brown, blood red. It's not really full coverage, but then again I like that because it works with the natural color of my lips. As much as I love the color, this lipstick can be kind of a bear to work with. I'm very low maintenance when it comes to lipcolor- I almost never do liner unless It's a special occasion or I'm bored and I want to layer it with a lipstick color, but this lipstick requires it, because it just can't make a precise lip shape on its own. Don't even try working with it straight from the tube unless your lips are already perfect. A lip brush is probably the best option. I can get away with eating/drinking with it on if I'm careful-it will be intact, just a little bit faded. Is it a ton of work for just lipstick? Absolutely. I save mine for special occasions, which is fine because it's not the most work-appropriate shade. Plus it's such a pretty, statement piece kind of red that you don't need anything else crazy going on, so the rest of my routine is really simple when I wear it.

on 3/25/2016 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Having worn NARS reds in the past (Shanghai Red, Red Lizard, Cruella pencil), I felt it was time to try this awesome blood red! (I am an avid red lipstick wearer.)

Sadly it looked like dried brown blood color on my lips, and with my medium beige-olive skin tone, just sucked the color out of my face. That, with the drying texture, made me look unwell. Never did a red lipstick do this to me! So back to Sephora I sent it.

To Read all 96 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/6/2015 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

A great oxblood red with just a hint of warmth from brown. Semi matte finish. Wear time is great, I got 6 hours. Highly recommended for fair complexions.

on 1/11/2014 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really liked vampy lips-on other people. My search to find one that looks good on me ended in colors that were purple (made me look like a corpse) or brown (too unnatural for me). I tried fire down below, and it is in fact a deep, blood, red. It is a really pretty garnet color. That said, I want to wear it in winter, and it does not agree with chapped lips. Exfoliate and moisturize your lips well with this one. Also, keep a clean face, but I do need eyeliner and mascara to make sure this doesn't wash me out. This takes preparation, but it is worth it.

First of all, the color is amazing--a deep yet vibrant blood red without a hint of muddy brown tones. I have never come across a shade quite like this. Other reviewers have commented that this is brown based, but I don't see a hint of 90's brown. On me at least, it is a deep garnet shade. That being said, the coverage is fairly sheer for a full coverage lipstick. If you have brown toned lips, the color will pull brown. My lips are naturally very red, hence brown tones are absent.
My love for the product ends there. I own 7 other NARS Semi-matte lipsticks (mostly vibrant red shades) and all offer exceptional coverage. Unfortunately, Fire Down Below does not live up to the other shades in this line as it goes on patchy no matter how I apply it. Primers, lip liners, lip brushes make little difference. The color tends to migrate to the edges on my lips for that unattractive "I've purposely over-lined my lips with mismatching lip liner" look. When I tried this on in the store before purchasing, I noticed that the formula was drier and less smooth than my other NARS lipsticks, but I chalked it up to the tester and not necessarily a flaw in the product. I probably should have returned it, but the color is so fabulous that I grudgingly decided to keep it in the rotation despite my reservations.
After much trial and error, I've developed a preferred method for application:
1. Exfoliate and moisturize lips.
2. Apply a base layer of lipstick with a firm brush and allow to set for several minutes.
3. Apply a second layer with lip brush.
4. When the formula has mattified, apply a light coat of lip balm with a lip brush and fill in patchy areas.
5. Allow to set again and blend out harsh edges.
6. Do not rub lips together, ever.
7. Be prepared to touch up frequently--10-15 minute intervals.
8. Repeat the entire process after you eat, sip coffee, or talk for any length of time.
Even after the elaborate lipstick application ritual, the coverage is not perfect. This is definitely not an apply-and-go type of lipstick. I've received many compliments when I wear it but I'm not sure it is worth the effort. If you have an extra 30 minutes in the day to touch up your lips by all means try this, just be warned that this lipstick is like a nagging toddler that demands constant attention. For all the effort, the finished look is unpolished and I have relegated this to casual/non-professional wear. Most of the time, I can't be bothered with the hassle. Mac Dubbonet (while not an exact dupe colorwise) can be used to achieve a similar look.
Given the caveats, the price is exorbitant. NARS' other red semi-mattes are still my absolute favorite everyday lipsticks. I don't think I'll purchase this color again unless the formula changes dramatically.

Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

A beautiful neutral brown based red it's dark but not too vampy versatile to wear day or night. This creamy semi matte lipstick glides on smooth doesn't accentuate dryness, something matte lippies have a reputation for. Fire down below looks amazing alone no need for liner cause it doesn't smear. Sometimes I use clear gloss on top (Nars triple x) for a luscious old Hollywood glam look. Also noticed adding clear gloss brings out more red tones.

I'm a Becca skin radiant shade mahogany, YSL b80. In my opinion every DDD should own Fire Down Below. Forever a staple in my collection love it just as much as the infamous Ruby Woo. Well worth my $25.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I am very pale (ghostlike, in fact) with red hair, and have found I can wear this color. I was afraid it would look too dark on me and wash my skin tone out even more, but it doesn't seem to have that effect. In fact, when I wear red, it's a flattering complimentary shade. I sometimes add a little sparkle with some silver or gold eyeshadow since I'm not the biggest fan of matte colors, but it has good staying power. I had lunch earlier and the color mostly stayed put. It's very hard to find a red lipstick that works for me, but I definitely like this one. I would purchase it again.

on 8/26/2013 11:47:00 AM

This is quite likely the darkest that a makeup company could go in creating "The Darkest of Rosy-Reds." (Am I right, Mr. Nars?)

I don't see "vamp" or "vampire"--or much brown (if any!)--when I wear this. I just see super-dark rosy-red.

But this is why I like it. I bought it thinking "I want vamp!" but I got what I have been looking for for a long time anyways, a very dark rosy-red that is hard to find without also getting a lot of purple/plum tones--now those drain me and make me (a cool/blue-undertoned, pale golden olive, ruddy-cheeked girl) look like a vampire.

on 8/25/2013 9:42:00 AM

I am a nude kind of girl when it comes to lips and even though I love the darker colors I never really feel like I can pull it off. When I have tried to wear red I felt more like Bozo the Clown than anything that resembled sexy. I read about Fire Down Below and went and tried it on about 6 months ago. I walked around the mall with it on and just decided it was too much for me (even though I loved the color) and didn't buy. Yesterday I was planning on going out and wanted a different look so I stopped by Sephora and ran in to get this. I was a little nervous because once you put it on you are really committed to this color for the night but the shade is perfect and it looked fantastic so I went with it. I got a ton of compliments and one friend even said that she couldn't believe how well it was staying on. I had it on for about 7 hours and I touched it up one time. We were having drinks and snacking and it never smudged or got on my teeth. It goes on really easily, I forgot to get a liner so I just used it by itself and had no problems. I didn't use a brush either, I probably should have but it was fine without. It is definitely drying but I just felt dry it didn't look dry and since it lasts so long and stays put so well the dryness is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

I love this color so much that I think I will be sporting red lips a lot more often.. This was also my first time wearing a NARS lipstick ($28! EEEK) but if they all are this awesome and long lasting I can see myself purchasing more in the future!

on 6/15/2013 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Holy HG Batman. The most beautiful shade of red I have ever found - inimitable, cannot be duped, must be seen to be believed. Even men who have a strong aversion to red lipstick on women tell me that this shade is a knockout. For reference, I am platinum blonde hair, very fair cool skin, blue eyes. The formula is long lasting, with gradual even fading -- I prefer to wear it with a flawless face (no blush but a bit of highlighter, preferably MAC Soft and Gentle MSF, NARS Copacabana multiple or illuminator, or Benefit Watt's Up), a tiny bit of black eyeliner on my upper lids, and heavy pinup girl style mascara.

Because it's so long lasting, Fire Down Below is not the most moisturizing formula in the world, but any balm applied under or over this lipstick will prevent dryness. I'd recommend this shade to any woman of any skin tone, fair or dark, warm or cool.