Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage

Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage

3.9

(SC-1 SC-8): Diethylene Glycol, Diethylhexanoate/Diisononanoate, Paraffin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Octyldodecanol, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (Cera Carnauba), Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopherol, Isopropyl Myristate, Oleth-10, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Water (Aqua), Silica, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Honey Extract (Mel), Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrapeptide-14, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Mica (CI 77019). May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

on 7/21/2016 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I did not like it. It does give full coverage as is (ie no tweaks with powder needed for coverage) and comes in *very* fair non-oxidizing shades - the combination of the qualities is imo unrivaled, which is why I give it 4 stars overall. However, it does not work for me, for reasons:
1) it separates on the oily Tzone (either powdered or non-powdered on) after several hours, and does so in the most horrible-looking way of extremely evident goo pools floating on top of the skin. And I find it cannot be remedied with blotting paper once the texture is disturbed (unlike some creamier products). So I *have* to always pay too much attention to the concealed spots during the day. I guess I see why make up artists love it - if a client needs to look perfect for a couple of hours of a special event, it does the job well. But I need the concealer to not betray all my concealed secrets by the end of my workday (like scaring those who were unfortunate to come too close to me). It also dries up after several hours on the drier parts of the face (my cheeks, which aren't flaking dry or anything at all, actually the condition of the skin is pretty decent) which then accentuates the couple of the long-post-scar blemishes making them worse than without any concealer. So, for me the LM SC is too unreliable.
2) i am fair around NC10 and very neutral with a tiny shift towards cool. I had to buy both sc1 and sc3 shades and vandalise them to make one matching combo of the milky-light shade from the sc1 and the neutral beige pan from the sc3. So, the expense and fuss doubled up! That is the only way I could match it to the entire shade range of my face. I mean, in the SC1 the pink pan is absolutely too pink, for me suitable only (mixed with the milky shade) to use where the natural blush on the cheeks is (and that's where I don't need a concealer). Otherwise the sc1 runs simply too pink however i mixed it - unless diluted with the milky shade to nothingness (which I could use on my neck - but I don't need a concealer there!). So, i wouldn't mind if the pink were included in a 3-shade pan, but I simply don't get how the LM marketing department chose to launch the sc1 so pink (or may be for NC5- gals?, dunno).
I am also not a fan of the mix-and-match products - too much fuss because once I (quickly) learned to mix "the good" shade with my sc1+3 "custom blend", i didn't need to mix in any other proportions, so I only got the pain from occasional mistakes during the obligatory everyday mixing process. A pain, really. And also some product always gets waisted. I only fully dig the SC3 combo for those who are lucky to match the shades (i'm not sure, but may be it is for NW 20-25 skin tones?) because both are nicely skin-toned (unlike the rosy pan in the sc2), just one is lighter and the other is the same neutral tonality but a couple of shades darker, like the winter/summer skin. All in all, I am positive the LM would have an even bigger success with the LMSC if they sold each colour separately, for those who are in between their current shade duos.
3) The texture it gives (of course, well blended in) is imo not very skin-like (like, worse than the skin) - especially in the daylight, altho totally acceptable in the evening/indoors dim lighting. So, i'd say, texture-wise, unless worn in the evening/indoors with no bright lighting, it demands some liquid foundation (or *generously* applied powder) to look fully uniform with the rest of the face. Otherwise, the difference in the texture became more and more evident the longer hours I wore it. As far as I only wear powder foundation and very rarely need the "generous" layering, for me that is quite a big con.
Is not the right concealer to conceal scabs - doesn't stick and slides off too easily (the powder helps, but not fully remedies).
Doesn't irritate or clog pores - that's a plus! The ingredients aren't too bad at all - also a plus.
I did get their special SC brush, it works, but I don't find it indispensable. A couple of lipstick brushes (the beautiful MUFE one with the cap, and another no-name one) worked just as good, may be even better because softer on the skin. However, the original SC brush is actually two-in-one as the bristles are cut to a tip good for pin-point concealing - but that comes at a price of its being too harsh and prickly (i do have sensitive skin - especially where I need to conceal the little smths)
I had absolutely no problem with taking the rather stiff product out of the pan - lightly "shaving" with a wide spatula or just a (clean) thumbnail easily collected the right amount of the product. It was always so easy I couldn't get why some girls had to resort to heating it with a hairdryer.
I don't like the wide shallow pans - totally unnecessary because you are not supposed to swipe across with a big/wide brush, but it collects dust with all its surface, and more of the product is subjected to air.
Overall, i don't like the LM SC. I prefer a more reliable, naturally looking when worn on bare skin, not demanding to buy several shades, easy to use product, - even if I have to tweak the coverage with my powder foundation. For now, it is the Becca Full coverage (which I really like), the ever faithful la Prairie pen and the JI powder foundation (used as concealer) - the 3 of which I use as necessary.

This is a great concelarer and the 2 shades mix perfectly to match my skin tone. The formula is really creamy and easy to blend and when set with powder lasts! I only use this for post blemish scaring and pin point concealing as it is quite heavy coverage but it works wonders. Would repurchase however this will last forever so probably won't need to for years!

To Read all 609 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I like this for covering spots and I occasionally use it under the eye even though it is not meant for that. You get a lot of product. I like that I can custom mix the colour I need for the application. It is not cake and it's smooth enough to glide over dry patches but doesn't feel greasy or slide around.

on 6/13/2016 5:40:00 AM

I have this one in SC2 for my NC25 skin.

It covers scars very well but it is not suitable for under eyes since this concealer is very dry (I use it under my eyes anyway but I have to warm it up).

It is also full coverage. It conceals very well and because this product has two colors (one darker, one lighter) you can get the perfect shade to conceal for summer/winter.

on 5/3/2016 1:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

If you want to cover acne and pigmentation, this is in my opinion the best concealer out there! Period! I have never found anything that comes close. It's a very dry and highly pigmented formula, so you need to work it and warm it up, pat on with a concealer brush and then with finger. It stays in place and it really is like photo shopping your face!
Not really the best for under-eye area but if you're really desperate you can make it work with some heavy moisturizer. Will repurchase, although expensive it does last a while.

This product is holy grail.

It states that it completely camouflages dark circles, minor imperfections and discolourations. Which is does, sometimes you have to work it but it looks amazing on the skin, lasts all day and doesnt go oily.

It has a two shade system which you mix together to create the perfect blend for your skin, I absoutley love playing with it and using it on my skin. It doesn't cause me any breakouts which is amazing cause alot of products irrate my acne prone combination skin type.

It also states that the high level of Pigment requires very little product to achieve perfect coverage. I completely agree with this a Littke goes a long way which makes me happy and completely makes the price £27.50 alot easier and less painful to pay.

I find it easier to apply after I've put my foundation on as foundation covers alot too so you only have to touch up. LOVE IT.

God i love this concealer. Before purchasing this one i always used the L'Oreal Touche Magique stick, which was really nice and i literly used it for years and years, but had a sheer to medium coverage and would eventually wear off. I got the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage in the lightest shade (01) and it has changed my 'camouflage game'. It has the best coverage ever. Yes it is a dry formula so i don't use it for concealing larger areas like the undereyes or around the nose (i use the Maybelline age rewind concealer for that), but for small discolourations, spots etc it is a miracle worker and really stays put. I use a small concealer brush to apply the concealer and then 'padd'/blend it into my skin with my fingers.
I love that is has the two different colours, which i mix to get the right colour. There really is nothing more to say about this product then...try it! you won't be dissapointed.

on 3/19/2016 9:53:00 PM

I'm surprised by the reviews mentioning the price of this product because it absolutely lasts forever, I've found it the cheapest concealer on the market. looks not perfect if used heavily, though it's the type of product you don't turn to unless you need heavy coverage so that's a bit tricky. i feel like if i find the perfect powder this will finish better, but i didn't like the LM powders on me. the color match is not perfect for me no matter how i do it but probably gets better for those who have better lighting/techniques. still my go-to fave because it does not break me out or agitate my skin at all & will cover anything. i'd buy this if you're looking for something solid with no irritants that has adjustable to heavy coverage and not think about the price, believe me it will last a long, long time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm still learning how to use this.

Since it comes in two shades it's easier for those who can't find the exact colour for their concealer. You can customise to match the exact desired shade. It's thick in consistency and very pigmented. Much thicker than most stick concealer. So less is more with this. The trick I discovered to using this is to simply pat your brush onto your skin rather than gliding it like you would with foundation/liquid concealer. But the consistency allows you to have great precision that liquid doesn't give.

The problem with this product is that it works like matte lipstick. If you don't exfoliate and moisturise properly it'll most definitely crease into all the wrong places. It'll crease on your dry patch, it'll set on your acne crease, it'll set on your lady stach, it'll set..you get the picture. So before applying, exfoliate, moisturise, and prime religiously so you don't end up looking like the moon's surface.

One thing I wish people would stop doing is use it for under eye concealing. Don't! Just don't! It's meant for spot concealing. This will most definitely crease under your eyes. No matter how much eye cream/primer you use, it'll crease. There's a separate concealer/corrector for under eye.

Once you set it with powder it'll stay for a good amount of time. Won't smudge, won't budge. Great for oily skin. Unfortunately, once it creases, it'll stay creased. I would recommend this more for hyperpigmentation concealing rather than on acne bumps/dry patch. If you insist on these areas, please exfoliate and moisturise first. Remember, moon's surface!

Pros:
- customisable shades
- great shade selections
- covers spot really well
- very pigmented (so less is more)
- oil-free
- didn't break me out
- helps control oil
- good staying power (with setting powder)

Cons:
- expensive
- too thick (for newbie)
- crease like crazy (on dry skin/patch)
- tricky to use (need lots of practice and patience)
- not as versatile as liquid concealer (can't be used under eye)

Will update more once I get the hang of it. So for now I'm giving it only 3 lippies. One lippie off because of the price, and the other for being tricky to use and creasing.

update: This thing is awesome! Once you really get the hang of it it's a real life saver for those with hyperpigmentation problem. Despite the price, I'm willing to splurge for this. It doesn't break me out or cause any of my existing zits to flare out. It really works like magic on smooth/exfoliated skin. Also, do use this above your foundation. It's easier to match your concealer shade to the foundation than the other way around. Since this is customisable to any shade, it shouldn't be a problem.

on 2/9/2016 4:17:00 PM

I bought this products as it was a must have for many youtubers but actually I was totally disappointed.I don't have dry skin.my skin is normal to combination.first,I tried using it in dark circles under my eyes on the area near my nose and after 2-3 hours I was shocked when I looked at the mirror,it was super dry and cracky.but it was expensive so I decided to give it another try.I used it on my acne and scars to hide em "as recommended" & I regret doing this mistake.It made them look worse and more noticable and was dry again.I tried using moisturizer first but there was no difference.people please don't buy this thing and save your money.