Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage

Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage
Secret Camouflage

3.9

(SC-1 – SC-8): Diethylene Glycol, Diethylhexanoate/Diisononanoate, Paraffin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Octyldodecanol, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (Cera Carnauba), Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopherol, Isopropyl Myristate, Oleth-10, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Water (Aqua), Silica, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Honey Extract (Mel), Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrapeptide-14, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Mica (CI 77019). May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Doesn't work on dry/dehydrated skin. I've used it to spot conceal and it accentuated Reti-A dryness/peeling even at the places where I had no idea I had peeling issues. Not a good look.
It has rather dry creamy texture, goes on seamlessly, blends well into the skin, but in about 30 minutes it separates and become obvious.
I bought it having high hopes that it will work on dryer skin type. It awesome to mix the color into a perfect match without having a large pro concealer palette, but it doesn't work for me. Though I believe normal to oily skins may enjoy using this palette.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like to use the spot conceal method that Lisa Eldridge suggests in her video. I saw this product and decided to give it a try, I have tried so many concealers to cover up acne and acne spots. I love that there are two shades so you can mix it into a shade that's close to your skin. Maybe one day your foundation is lighter than the other, this will make up for it. Other concealers just fade away after a few hours, but this one stays put, even without setting it. The finish is a demi-matte, and works well even with dewy foundations.

As far a brush, I love using this with the $1 ELF concealer brush because it's tiny enough to cover the spots, and dense enough to pick up the concealer that you need.

I tried this once on undereye and unfortunately, this is not an undereye concealer. This is HG status for me, in terms of a concealer that covers up zits and its reminisce like a charm.

on 3/16/2018 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

May work for some, but the undertones of this just didn't match my skin.

I went and got matched at the Laura Mercier counter, and the closest match was the lightest shade. Unfortunately, it really came off as orange or too light on my skin, and when I would blend it, it would disappear and not give me enough coverage. I also found the hard texture a little tricky to work with.

This just didn't give me the coverage I was looking for, especially over my acne scarring, and I found myself reaching for my Cover FX cream concealer over this.

PROS:
-cruelty-free
-nice packaging
-lots of product

CONS:
-undertones didn't match my skin
-didn't cover what I needed it to

on 1/29/2018 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

Product is a little hard to handle but once applied I love the results!

on 10/14/2017 5:22:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Laura Mercier is a brand that I continue to trust when it comes to base products that I know will perform well. Since I have used the Secret Camouflage (SC) it has become a holy grail product and staple in my makeup bag. I use this for spot concealing my pigmentation on the sides of my face and also in the small part that is darkest closest to the corner of my eye and my nose. My shade is NC25-30 and SC3 is perfect for me, I tend to use both sides equally.

The formula is amazing. It has a dry consistency but not in a bad way at all. It can be warmed up with a brush or fingertips to give full coverage concealing. I use it this way on my pigmentation from acne scarring and it blends out perfectly and covers imperfections. Once on it last all day with a light amount of powder on top. Another way I like to wear SC is to sheer it out with a drop of Glossier Skin Tint. I just pop a drop in the concealer pan and mix it to create a creamier texture for either lighter makeup or under my eyes.

My application tip is to use a dual ended brush that you often get in palettes from Urban Decay or Anastasia Beverly Hills. Generally they have a small pointed side that is meant for packing shadow and a fluffier side for blending shadow. However (I use an ABH brush that came with the Modern Renaissance palette) the brushes in these higher end palettes are perfect, as you can use the pointed/flat side for placing and pinpointing the concealer, and then the fluffy side to buff it out seamlessly. And generally most women have these lying around, and they are handy to use in this way.

I find the packaging to be nice. It is nice and simple and sturdy and is consistent with Laura Mercier branding. There isn't any bells and whistles, but it isn't flimsy and the mirror is great for a small compact. It is the perfect size to put in your bag for touch ups. The price is high, but for what you get I do believe it is worth the higher price tag. I also don't think there is much that it can be compared to in terms of other brands. I know Mac have a concealer palette but the formulas are quite different from each other. I think that if you are looking for a concealer for pinpointing and covering imperfections then this is definitely one that you should think about. An oldie but a goodie, and a product that is still a stable in lots of womens handbag and makeup artists kits!

on 4/5/2017 12:29:00 AM

PLEASE NEVER DISCONTINUE THIS. I have hormonal acne and this just covers it beautifully, cancels out redness with the yellow toned shade, the salmon shade cancels out the purple hyperpigmentation. lightweight, doesnt look cakey, does break me out most importantly. I have 2 pans SC1 and SC2 (NC15- NC25) for anytime time of the year. would repurchase.

on 1/4/2017 4:03:00 PM

Love love love! Always suceeds in helping bring papules to a head because it is so drying. A lot of people try to use this under the eyes but it does not work like that! It's a spot blemish concealer and the two pans are for you to customize and mix and match to formulate your perfect shade. Genious!

Cons: the packaging bothers me. Love the mirror that comes with it but if you aren't careful, the button that holds the package together can unclasp and open the product. Not sure if this product can dry out (as it is a cream product I believe) but if it can then that's a huge issue!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love this product! I have been using this for over 10 years now. I cannot be without it. I often get comments on my skin and it's all thanks to this product. I don't wear foundation, just Laura Marcier to "hide" flaws. It never breaks me out and blends beautifully into the skin.

I use it to:

# Conceal post acne scars
# Cover actual blemishes
# Lighten undereye area. Mix a little with your undereye moisturiser :)

It doesn't budge, even in saunas and pools, I have tried:) the trick is to use a small angled brush and target the area and blend. If you moisturise before you use it, it won't feel drying.

Hope this helps!

I've always been curious about Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage. I see it in every celebrity makeup artist's kit. Lisa Eldridge always uses it, it must be her favourite concealer. But since I don't live near the city I never bothered checking it out until now. Laura Mercier is hard to find in Australia, only select retailers sell it in exclusive locations. You can buy it online but I prefer to see how it looks in real life before I hand over my money. I purchased mine from David Jones for $55 AUD.

This is a really thick and dry concealer. Think a really dry and heavy stick foundation, only this is in a palette format. I think there are 2 things you have to get right to make this work. First, you need to get your exact shade or else it won't cover up anything. Too light or too dark won't work. I got this in SC3. I'm NC 20 in MAC foundations. I wasn't really too sure what shade to get but I figured, Lisa Eldridge normally uses SC2 on herself. I'm 1-2 shades darker than her so I figured I'll get SC3. Which turns out to work. I use a small fine tip brush (concealer or eyeliner brush) and swipe half half of each shade.

The second thing you need to do is to warm up the product by dabbing the brush onto the back of the hand to make the product more blendable. If you don't do that, it won't adhere onto the skin. This is especially important if you have dry skin. You want to tap the concealer on so that it becomes part of your skin, not to sit on top of it. I first use the brush to apply it on blemishes and pigmentation, then use my fingers to tap it onto my skin so it blends in.

It does cover my blemishes and pigmentation quite well, I get almost full opaque coverage. However I won't use this under my eyes, it's too dry and ageing. I prefer to use something more creamy like Maybelline fit me concealer for undereyes. I use a setting powder, MAC careblend pressed powder to set my whole foundation and to seal the concealer. This step is important too, even if you don't use powder, you should use it on the areas that you applied so it will last all day.

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I really don't like this... I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's extremely thick and drying. Absolutely no way for under eyes - blending is impossible, but also no good for spot coverage I find - its just too dry and cakey!! It shows up accentuates my spots instead of covering them, and also, picking up any product out of the compact is near impossible as its so drying its almost flaky! No-no