Bag Balm

Price: $

Price: $

8-Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate 0. 3% in a Petrolatum, Lanolin Base

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this stuff. It is the best for feet, cuticles, lips, dry skin... Anything! Personally, I like the smell. It is a bit like menthol and camphor. I keep a tub of this stuff in my medicine cabinet.

I love Bag Balm. I can remember seeing this green tin at my grandmothers. It is no surprise as this product has been passed down for generations. The side of the tin says 1899 and something doesn't last that long unless it is that good. There are tons of uses for this goo which is why it has such a cult following.
I bought the large tin back in late 2010 when I got my cast off to help with the nasty cast skin and keeping the incision soft(I still have half that tin). When I got braces my lips would get so irritated and dry I had lip balms every where my favorite being the FRESH Sugar original formula. I tried this and even with my braces now off this is part of my nighttime routine. I have never had lips so soft. It is a must have for the nasty harsh winter weather that can dry and crack your skin.
It is really funny when you open a tin around city people who have no clue about farming or farm living. It looks like snot, has a goo like texture and smells a little odd. They freak out from disgust and it is hilarious. In basic training I almost fell off my bunk I was laughing so hard. They reported me and I found out when they did a locker search and opened it some of the drill sergeants had the same reaction. The tin has the original instructions about using it on cow udders and the original cow head design on the lid so even looking at the tin they have no clue. Thankfully one of the drill sergeants was from a farm family and explained it.
It comes in the big 10oz, a little 1oz which is perfect to carry around with you, and they just released a squishy lip gloss container. You can find it fairly easy at drug stores like Walgreens or CVS. If you happen to have a feed/farm store they will have it for sure. Depending on the temperature of where it is kept it may get lighter in color and bubbly looking but it is fine. DO NOT EVER leave the tin some where will it will get hot. It will expand and you will have a horrible mess to clean up. Trust me I did it by laying the tin on some papers about a foot from a heating vent.

To Read all 171 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I've used this for twenty years. It's amazing. It's not the easiest or most convenient , but this stuff works. A tin lasts for years as well! I use it on my feet, lips and neck. I use it for burns, for chapped skin...pretty much for any skin ailment.
I have tried expensive alternatives that are more convenient, but they just don't work as well.
You may be skeptical when you check out how inexpensive this is, but don't be. This stuff is truly incredible.

I have awful dry hands, cuticles in winter. After trying just about every product in my reach, this one seems to be working the best. What I like best is that it seems to absorb in and creates a protective layer. A little goes a loooonnng way, so just use a tiny bit & rub in well. Impressive for an old tyme product! Let's see if it heals my split nails....

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I use this for every thing, minor cooking burns, my dogs paws in the winter, I rub a lot on my hands heels and cuticles right before bed it absorbs really well I use this on chapped or raw skin and chapped lips. Its a great mulit use product. I don't use it in the eye area so I cannot recommend that but definitely a multi use house hold product.

I absolutely love this stuff. I have terribly dry lips and hands in the winter, and this is my go to. Slap some stuff on my hands, put some socks on 'em and overnight my hands feel amazing. I don't really have a problem with the smell. It can get kind of messy put it's worth it. I think the tin packaging is very nice!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Bag balm is an old school HG favorite! My mom had always kept this in the bathroom drawer, but as a kid I had always kept my distance and opted for the fruity fun scented lotions.

As a 20 year old, I experienced the worst chapped lips of my life. Nothing would solve them! I bought 17- 17!!!!! different chapsticks/overnight lip balms to try to solve it. To no avail! Large, thick flakes of skin would peel off, bleeding and tearing- trust me, my mouth was not a pretty place.

I talked to my mom and she suggested trying this stuff. I was very skeptical- What in the world could this do that an 18$ sephora lip treatment couldn't?

BAM. 3 days of applying at night and my lips were saved! This is my go-to lip treatment, I use it every other night or as needed throughout the year for my lips.

Keeps them full and soft! The tin is huge- and the clear-yellowish goo is basically unscented.

It's a little messy sometimes but I love it all the same.

TRIED AND TRUE HG!!!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Got a big ol' tub of this years ago at Lee Valley and it is still going strong. Not the most elegant of products to use (messy, greasy, takes a lot of time to soak in) but in the winter, when my hands and feet are really chapped, this works really well. Thing is, if it's on my hands, I can't do anything else (like turn a doorknob!), nor would I want to, since the grease would transfer EVERYWHERE (walls, light switches, furniture) and if you put it on your feet, you'd better cover those feet with a pair of socks or you'll be "slip-sliding away" (maybe that's how Paul Simon got the idea for the song!). The tin looks so nice and old-fashioned but getting the product out can be a bit icky unless you use a spatula or similar tool, otherwise, you pretty much have to dig in and then you get the balm under your nails.

This is a pretty low-tech product but like may of the products from way back (Nivea, Vaseline, olive oil, etc.) it is still surprisingly effective.

Fourteen years ago, a friend of mine suggested I use Bag Balm on my infant son's diaper rash. I tried it and I was immediately converted. His skin cleared up in a day, and it was very easy to wipe away as well. I started using it on my extremely chapped lips and hands (I live in Nevada), and they were almost back to normal within a day. It works wonders on any sort of dry, red, chafed, or irritated skin. It is the most soothing product I have ever put on my skin. It doesn't sting at all, and it takes away soreness and pain immediately. I have converted many people to this stuff over the years. It's almost too good to be true.

The downside: it comes in a huge green jar and you have to dip your fingers into it. Also, it can be somewhat messy; it has the texture of Vaseline, and the scent is a bit medicinal. However, this stuff is so cheap that you can just toss the jar every once in a while and get a new one. It would take me years to use up a whole jar. Recently, I have starting using a clean utensil to spoon it into a small jar, and now I don't worry as much about contamination. I never leave the house without it. :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Your dry, cracked and raw lips best friend! Slather on at bedtime and you will wake up to significantly improved lips. I love this stuff!

You can use it anywhere that is dry. It is my BFF in winter.

Has a medicinal smell, but I rather like it. It reminds me of the salve my grandma used to make. Very good stuff.

Only real complaint is it sorts of "melts" and looks bubbly and the lid can get gross on the sides. I just wiped down the lid and scooped off top layer.....good as new and works just the same. :)

Simple product, simple packaging and worth checking out. Will last for a very long time.