Bag Balm

Price: $

Price: $

8-Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate 0. 3% in a Petrolatum, Lanolin Base

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought the small tube for my chapped lips at CVS. This cured a stubborn dry spot over night. I also tried putting this on my cuticles & it worked very well. I've bought the mini cube to carry around, and will probably by the larger size once I run out. The next use will be for my hands & heels. It does smell medicinal, due to the anti-septic ingredient--it's not too bad (kind of reminds me of carmex).

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

My first review in years, and happy to come back to review this HG product. You may think I’m crazy, but every night after finishing my cleansing, chemical exfoliation, and moisturizing routine, I slather this good stuff all over my face. I have been doing this for at least two years now (still only half-way through the tin, one will last you forever) and words can not describe what a difference it has made. I have the driest, flakiest, most prone to rosacea and eczema face in the world - yet as long as I put this on before going to bed, I wake up looking dewy and refreshed. It doesn’t break me out either because it contains an antiseptic, 8-hydroxyquinoline sulfate 0.3%. I have searched the internet to see if anyone does the same to no avail - it seems most people will at most use this for hands, feet, and lips. Honestly, if the smell doesn’t bother you (and if it does, just give it a couple nights, it won’t bother you anymore), I highly suggest adding this to the end of your night time face routine. If you regularly slug it up as it is with vaseline, switch to this and see the results. Just make sure you use a pillowcase you don’t care about. (:

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I bought a large tin of this several years ago from a tractor supply place. The winters in upstate NY can be a bit cold and my skin isn't a huge fan. My lips get chapped and the skin on my fingers and knuckles will dry and split from hand washing so often. I noticed as I was getting older my dryness of my skin was only getting worse so my search began. I do not like to over apply lotions especially to my hands because I have a nasty habit of touching my face and lotions cause me to breakout. I tried several heavier emollients that I would only apply at night and none of them were giving me the best results so my dad recommended this stuff. I thought this was only for cow nips 😳 I had also bought some cotton gloves on a suggestion from another person. So at night I would dab a little on my lips then slather my hands up good and pull those cotton gloves on. Upon waking in the morning the gloves would come off and I wouldn't give my hands a good wash. I was amazed. The problem was 90 percent better after the first night. I do this every night during the cold season and my hands never split and bleed anymore.

Great stuff.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

my mammaw always had this around. it smells horrible but she was the pickiest, most cantankerous woman you've ever met, so if she liked it...it must work. i've had the same tin of it for probably 20 years (that's not an exaggeration,) but they sell little lip balm tubes now if you feel like wasting money.

Smells faintly of motor oil, at least it does to me and it reminds me of my dad when he's been working in his garage. Lightly tapping your finger on the balm is enough to apply as a night time lip balm for soft, smooth and moisturized lips. I toss and turn all night but it pretty much stays put. Also great for feet and heals but make sure to wear socks. It burns a little when I apply to my face.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

This is a nostalgia, comfort product for me. I grew up on a small dairy farm in the 50's and vividly remember this green can sitting on a shelf in the stable, and my dad rubbing it on the cows' udders. Sometimes he's rub it on his own hands. I'd buy this balm if only for that reason. But I do love the product! I actually enjoy the weird smell, and use it on my chapped lips and hands. An old standard!

Great product! I use it for burns, cuts, dry elbows, dry hands. Slather some all over my soles, concentrating on my heels, put on fuzzy socks for the night, and wake up with baby soft feet. This does have a kind of strong medicinal smell, but I rather like it. It's not quite menthol but some other kind of scent I can't really describe. A little goes a long way. Good buy, a bathroom staple, and it will last you years.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh, Bag Balm. I remember seeing a tin of this as a kid snooping through my mom's bathroom drawer, and I was like, wth is that goopy-a$$ mess. Not interested, where's the lipstick?! Fast forward to age 36, and Bag Balm is my lifesaver. My dude keeps a gigantic tin of this in his bathroom to use as a chamois cream when cycling (which I find abhorrently disgusting, don't even get me started!), and I use it on my, umm, picked zits. The texture is phlegm-like (although not clumpy) and the scent is like wet hay mixed with mentholatum -- I actually really like it, in a weird comforting way. It doesn't break me out when I use it on my face and it soothes any nasty bits in about two days. I've slathered it on cuts, scrapes, bug bites, blisters, any minor skin irritations, etc. I wish I could find a tiny tin for my bathroom but I resorted to depotting some into a sample container...which will probably last me for years. Bag Balm, sorry I was a hater. You da best.

I have a son who gets extreme dry lips in the winter...like the kind that get all scaly and hard. We have looked forever for a chapstick/lip product he would actually use (he is 6 and doesn't like anything on his lips). I have tried dozens of lip products with no relief. I saw a bag balm version of lip stuff and figured we should try it. This to date is the only stuff he will actually use on his lips. Now me and my husband use it as well. It is not greasy and not too "slippy" and feels really moisturizing :)

Popular Lotions / Creams