Bag Balm

Price: $

8-Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate 0. 3% in a Petrolatum, Lanolin Base

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

my mammaw always had this around. it smells horrible but she was the pickiest, most cantankerous woman you've ever met, so if she liked it...it must work. i've had the same tin of it for probably 20 years (that's not an exaggeration,) but they sell little lip balm tubes now if you feel like wasting money.

Smells faintly of motor oil, at least it does to me and it reminds me of my dad when he's been working in his garage. Lightly tapping your finger on the balm is enough to apply as a night time lip balm for soft, smooth and moisturized lips. I toss and turn all night but it pretty much stays put. Also great for feet and heals but make sure to wear socks. It burns a little when I apply to my face.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

This is a nostalgia, comfort product for me. I grew up on a small dairy farm in the 50's and vividly remember this green can sitting on a shelf in the stable, and my dad rubbing it on the cows' udders. Sometimes he's rub it on his own hands. I'd buy this balm if only for that reason. But I do love the product! I actually enjoy the weird smell, and use it on my chapped lips and hands. An old standard!

Great product! I use it for burns, cuts, dry elbows, dry hands. Slather some all over my soles, concentrating on my heels, put on fuzzy socks for the night, and wake up with baby soft feet. This does have a kind of strong medicinal smell, but I rather like it. It's not quite menthol but some other kind of scent I can't really describe. A little goes a long way. Good buy, a bathroom staple, and it will last you years.

I have a son who gets extreme dry lips in the winter...like the kind that get all scaly and hard. We have looked forever for a chapstick/lip product he would actually use (he is 6 and doesn't like anything on his lips). I have tried dozens of lip products with no relief. I saw a bag balm version of lip stuff and figured we should try it. This to date is the only stuff he will actually use on his lips. Now me and my husband use it as well. It is not greasy and not too "slippy" and feels really moisturizing :)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh, Bag Balm. I remember seeing a tin of this as a kid snooping through my mom's bathroom drawer, and I was like, wth is that goopy-a$$ mess. Not interested, where's the lipstick?! Fast forward to age 36, and Bag Balm is my lifesaver. My dude keeps a gigantic tin of this in his bathroom to use as a chamois cream when cycling (which I find abhorrently disgusting, don't even get me started!), and I use it on my, umm, picked zits. The texture is phlegm-like (although not clumpy) and the scent is like wet hay mixed with mentholatum -- I actually really like it, in a weird comforting way. It doesn't break me out when I use it on my face and it soothes any nasty bits in about two days. I've slathered it on cuts, scrapes, bug bites, blisters, any minor skin irritations, etc. I wish I could find a tiny tin for my bathroom but I resorted to depotting some into a sample container...which will probably last me for years. Bag Balm, sorry I was a hater. You da best.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this stuff. It is the best for feet, cuticles, lips, dry skin... Anything! Personally, I like the smell. It is a bit like menthol and camphor. I keep a tub of this stuff in my medicine cabinet.

I love Bag Balm. I can remember seeing this green tin at my grandmothers. It is no surprise as this product has been passed down for generations. The side of the tin says 1899 and something doesn't last that long unless it is that good. There are tons of uses for this goo which is why it has such a cult following.
I bought the large tin back in late 2010 when I got my cast off to help with the nasty cast skin and keeping the incision soft(I still have half that tin). When I got braces my lips would get so irritated and dry I had lip balms every where my favorite being the FRESH Sugar original formula. I tried this and even with my braces now off this is part of my nighttime routine. I have never had lips so soft. It is a must have for the nasty harsh winter weather that can dry and crack your skin.
It is really funny when you open a tin around city people who have no clue about farming or farm living. It looks like snot, has a goo like texture and smells a little odd. They freak out from disgust and it is hilarious. In basic training I almost fell off my bunk I was laughing so hard. They reported me and I found out when they did a locker search and opened it some of the drill sergeants had the same reaction. The tin has the original instructions about using it on cow udders and the original cow head design on the lid so even looking at the tin they have no clue. Thankfully one of the drill sergeants was from a farm family and explained it.
It comes in the big 10oz, a little 1oz which is perfect to carry around with you, and they just released a squishy lip gloss container. You can find it fairly easy at drug stores like Walgreens or CVS. If you happen to have a feed/farm store they will have it for sure. Depending on the temperature of where it is kept it may get lighter in color and bubbly looking but it is fine. DO NOT EVER leave the tin some where will it will get hot. It will expand and you will have a horrible mess to clean up. Trust me I did it by laying the tin on some papers about a foot from a heating vent.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I've used this for twenty years. It's amazing. It's not the easiest or most convenient , but this stuff works. A tin lasts for years as well! I use it on my feet, lips and neck. I use it for burns, for chapped skin...pretty much for any skin ailment.
I have tried expensive alternatives that are more convenient, but they just don't work as well.
You may be skeptical when you check out how inexpensive this is, but don't be. This stuff is truly incredible.

I have awful dry hands, cuticles in winter. After trying just about every product in my reach, this one seems to be working the best. What I like best is that it seems to absorb in and creates a protective layer. A little goes a loooonnng way, so just use a tiny bit & rub in well. Impressive for an old tyme product! Let's see if it heals my split nails....