Alberto Vo5 Extra Body Shampoo

Alberto Vo5 Extra Body Shampoo

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Ammonium Chloride, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Collagen, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035), Sodium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Biotin

There's a good reason this shampoo has been around for ages! I absolutely love the smell (it has had the same smell since I was a kid) and it cleans my hair well. This is the only cheap shampoo that I've ever used that doesn't dry out my hair or leave it dirty. This shampoo cleanses well and actually does add body to my hair. Can't beat that for a shampoo that's typically $1 or less. Did I mention how much I love the smell?

on 4/30/2016 9:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I guess if you want volume like once a week this is fine but otherwise this just causing buildup after repeated use. My pet peeve is any shampoo that causes buildup, to me, that's just dirty hair. I have fine straight hair so it's even worse the way this starts to make my hair greasy. It seemed like with every wash my hair was never getting fully cleaned. But it's $1 so can't say it's a waste of money

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

i have lots of volumizing shampoos both cheap and pricey. i googled the 10 best volumizing shampoos and this was one of them....i found t at drugstore.com for $1.99 but no reviews. i liked that the ingredients were few. i read the reviews here on mua and kept finding that its got a lite scent. thats important cuz of migranes. i really like it. it smells clean and fresh, volumizing my fine thick hair, cuts grease from my oily hair. if you have dry hair i would pass. any other hair type you can't go wrong for the price. plus doesn't strip hair dye and lathers nice.

on 1/13/2016 2:24:00 PM

What I love: good lather, understated fragrance, good consistency, easy to find in most dollar stores.
I returned this to my rotation because I'm absolutely done with Suave--unless they do a serious overhaul--but wanted a cheap deep cleaning. I think this might be the best store shampoo ever. Their normal one is nice too.
Yes, it can make your hair a little dry but I have their leave-in hair oil and Simply Stunning. Those help. BUT my sensitive skin doesn't react which is a blessing.
I have wavy, fine but abundant hair that I enjoy coloring. It seems to love VO5, particularly this shampoo. I'm picky about my hair products so I'm shocked to be so happy with such a cheap cleanser.
Definitely repurchasing!
What I don't like: the cap isn't very tight and many times the bottles aren't filled.

on 10/17/2015 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This shampoo (with sulfates) has a relatively short ingredient list, good for those of us with sensitive scalps.
My hair is short, wavy-curly, and a little dry. I like my hair to have fullness, so using a moisturizing shampoo doesn't give me the results I want. I use this shampoo together with the matching conditioner. I wash my hair every five to seven days, add gel, set it on Velcro rollers, and let it air dry.
This shampoo adds a significant amount of shine and body to my hair. It's not a moisturizing shampoo, but since I don't wash my hair every day my hair doesn't become dry.

on 7/13/2015 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok so I tried all brands of everything. Sulfate free shampoos are not for me. My scalp needs to be clean every single day and I fear no sulfates can cause hair loss. Oil on scalp cannot stay for too long without the risk of clogging pores which can result in hair loss. I have used this before, but its drying. That much I will admit. But I'd rather that and add conditioner on my ends than to lose hair. And for all you boomers out there it smells like the old Agree. Love it.

I bought this from a local dollar store. I used it when I was younger, but never cared about what shampoo I used, being young and not caring. I recently bought it, because of the price if I'm going to be completely honest. I'm a college student with low funds. Anyway, the first time I used it, it made my hair feel very stringy, dry and VERY heavy. I thought it was just because I was used to using another shampoo on a regular basis. The next time I tried it, it did the same thing. I'm going to try it with conditioner next time. If this weird feeling continues, I will not use/buy the product again. The smell isn't great either, which is a big deal for my shampoo decisions.

I can't beat this as far as a volumizing or clarifying shampoo for the price ($.89). The packaging isn't gorgeous. but it works as well as more expensive varieties on my fine-textured and straight hair. The scent is mild, inoffensive and, also, unisex in my opinion (my boyfriend also likes this one).

on 1/29/2015 5:03:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Edit: has made my hair limp after subsequent use. It does make it silky, but to the point where it has no grip or body. This has happened w/ other Vo5 shampoos as well. I think a lot of them have added proteins (silk, collagen, etc).

Article on protein and how it works on hair;

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Ammonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Thiamine HCl, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (Parfum), Blue 1(CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035).

---
Pretty good so far. Adds some volume (no cones here) and doesn't over strip. Smells of weak cologne, but that goes away.

I got this for $3 at drugstore.com, under a buck elsewhere.

on 12/7/2014 4:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Very clarifying shampoo - really gets everything out for me. My scalp had some itchiness and it seemed to relieve that too, and that I really like. Not too sure about the 'extra body' claim, but i guess since it cleans out my hair, it gets more weightless --> more body?
My hair - specifically the roots - are on the oily side, so this is a good shampoo for me. But it is really cleaning, as in my ends get very tangly and dry feeling after washing. I wouldn't want to try this without conditioner. I pair this with Herbal Essences Hydralicious De damage boost conditioner for clean roots and moisturized ends, great combo

The scent is okay for me, not something I really love though. The best part about this shampoo is the itchiness relieving factor (i guess my hair gets itchier when it's built up with oil/dirt/whatevers). The worst part is the overdrying, but I guess it's normal. Wouldn't recommend for dryer hair though. Would personally repurchase, or try the Kiwi Lime Squeeze next. Or both, the price is great!!