AmLactin 12%

AmLactin 12%
AmLactin 12%Amlactin MeAmLactin 12%

3.9

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

After the first application, my hands look 5 years younger! My skin is sooo soft...not looking back...I've tried Cerave, all kinds of expensive drug store lotion and finally I've found the lotion that will moisturize, exfoliate, and make skin look younger

When I first bought this product I really wasn't sure I liked it, but through experimentation I have got it to work for me and will definitely be re-purchasing. I got it through Amazon in the UK for a reasonable price and bought a large pump bottle, which helps with dosage.

It's a useful combination of a dose of lactic acid to exfoliate (12%) with a proper dermatological emollient. Aimed at sufferers of KP (aka 'chicken skin' on arms and / or legs), it's also good for 'de-flaking' and smoothing skin generally, without drying it out. It's pretty fluid and not too tacky for an emollient and goes on smoothly, albeit with a strong chemical smell. It will soak in well unless you overdo it: I recommend starting with a small amount and building it up till you find the amount that works best for you.

I use it nightly as part of the following routine:

- quick shower with A-derma Exomega Emollient Shower Oil, massaging all over with Foreo Luna
- rub a few drops of Weleda Calendula Oil all over whilst still wet from the shower
- pat dry gently or air-dry
- apply Amlactin all over body as needed (I use 1 pump split between both arms, 1 pump for each leg and a smaller amount for torso, which is less dry)
- once soaked in, follow up with a thicker emollient balm on any particularly dry spots (feet, elbows).

Using it this way has helped to reduce annoying lumps and bumps on my arms and legs and keeps my sensitive skin smooth, without lots of heavy mechanical exfoliation, which I find can trigger patches of dermatitis.

WARNINGS / DOWNSIDES:

- it's a pretty strong product. I wouldn't use it on my face / neck / décolleté and some people might find it too strong for regular use or for any use at all.
- If you have lumps and bumps, remember to apply in the direction of hair growth on your arms and legs - this will stop the emollient component of the lotion from blocking hair follicles.
- The smell. No two ways about it, you will smell of ammonia after applying this! I find the smell fades to nothing after about an hour, but you definitely don't want to apply this just before a romantic encounter...

on 12/22/2014 4:47:00 PM

I really can't understand the positive reviews on this lotion. First, it reeks like ammonia. I wouldn't be able to get past that even if this was a good lotion. Second, it doesn't completely absorb--it leaves a sticky residue that is so bad, the last time I used it (which was literally the last time--I threw it away), I had to wash it off. But the most important thing for me is that it doesn't help at all with dryness or KP, which was why I bought it in the first place.

on 5/4/2014 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love love love this stuff. I get the gigantic bottle from Costco and keep it in my shower. I turn off the water and just lather myself with this. It works wonders for dry skin and ingrown hair, both of which are a problem for me. I also coat my feet with it, and it helps keep my toes looking pedicure-fresh.

This is one of the best pharmacy finds out there.

on 2/21/2014 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my go-to moisturizer, it works wonders on my dry, flaky, winter skin. I use it every day after the shower and my skin stays soft and moisturized all day. In addition to moisturizing it is working on the sun damage brown spots that have popped up on my legs and arms, they look lighter and my skin has a lovely glow. The high percentage of alpha hydroxy acid,12%, really works wonders. Just remember to use sun block when you are using any alpha hydroxy product.

The only drawback is the smell and the lingering stickiness. The smell is off-putting at first but the results are so good that I choose to overlook it. I don't have an issue with the stickiness as long as I wait a little before putting on my cloths.

Over a recent ski trip I ran out of my expensive facial moisturizer and used this on my face (yikes!), it worked so well for the dryness I am now using it when my facial skin is particularly dry. I do not have sensitive skin so maybe those of you who do should not try this but it sure works for me. I can't believe that there is not more hype about this product, maybe because there is no marketing. You could easily spend 3x as much on a moisturizer and not get such good results.

on 11/8/2012 8:46:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

PRO'S:

*Probably the strongest humectant I've ever encountered.

The pro's end there.

CON'S:
*Expensive for what it is.
*Stinks, smells like plastic, like the smell of opening a fresh box of Ziplock sandwich bags.
*On the body it smells sour, like stinky shoes and socks. (i.e. B.O.)
*Since this product amounts to being little more than just a prescription strength humectant, on the body it feels like being in the most humid, sticky, and uncomfortable climate imaginable. (i.e. makes me feel gross and grimy)
*I must wash my hands after applying this, or my palms will feel "sweaty" and wet forever.
*No noticeable positive results from using this product, no exfoliation that I noticed.

For my feet, I got exfoliation and better results with a cheap over-the-counter glycolic acid cream.

I'm not really a fan of humectants even in their mildest form, and that's all this product is in my book: A humectant. If you like the idea of all the moisture in the air clinging to your body, then you'll probably love this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My doctor recommended AmLactin to me for the keratosis pilaris on my upper arms. At first I used it intermittently and did not see any results. Recently I have begun to use it after every shower, and I definitely see an improvement on my KP. My arms feel much smoother, although the redness is still there. It definitely did not work right away, but I can tell that it's getting better the more I use it. So, to those who are wavering for lack of immediate results, I say stick with it for a bottle. Also, the smell reeks, but it disappears very quickly. All in all I'm happy so far.

I have KP on the backs of my arms and butt. I've asked doctors for a solution and they could not even tell me what it was. I figured it out with internet/magazines. This lotion showed results in the first week and now I've been using it for awhile and my arms have never been smoother. So happy!

on 12/1/2011 8:21:00 PM

I use this on my feet and arms - I don't have KP, just dry skin. This really works to keep my feet and elbows gorgeous and smooth. Don't understand the comments about the smell. My tube has absolutely no smell at all. I think I may try it on my face next. It is very light feeling going on - but it definintely makes a difference. A bit pricey, but there are coupons to be had and the lady at Walgreens even gave me another one when made my last purchase. I will definintely buy this again.

on 11/1/2011 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Yikes. This is not for those with sensitive skin! I originally bought this to use on my face since a lot of people said it was great to prevent acne and help uneven skin tones. For that purpose, it was way too greasy and it made me break out in a rash. Unfortunately, it didn't work as a body lotion either. It makes my skin BURN and ITCH like crazy. I'm either allergic to something in it, or the AHA is just too strong for my skin type. I gave it to my sister who has KP on her upper arms. I hope it works for her!