AmLactin 12%

AmLactin 12%Amlactin MeAmLactin 12%

4.3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Made all the KP on my arms and legs go away in about 3 days. My skin has never been this soft - it's crazy smooth and I can't stop touching myself! This lotion takes some getting used to but it's worth it to stick it out. First, it doesn't smell great. It's an ammonia smell that doesn't quickly dissipate, but it does eventually fade away. I follow up with a layer of LUSH Karma Cream, a strongly scented lotion and that seems to solve the smell issue. Second, it's leaves skin tacky in the beginning and if you use too much. It took a solid month of everyday use for my skin to finally adjust or for me to figure out the perfect amount. Third, you have to shake the bottle well first, which I was not used to doing in the beginning. Now I'm a pro. I think manual exfoliation 3x/week (I like to use a Korean Italy Towel or a Japanese Hard Towel) also helps. Note I've manually exfoliated for years with mild improvement on KP, but the addition of AmLactin has finally been the magic bullet that has obliterated it. My only dissapointment is that I thought it would also help with "strawberry legs". There's been some very, very, very minor improvement, But nothing anyone would notice, but me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I absolutely love this lotion, its the only thing that has made even the slightest difference to my chronic keratosis pilaris. It smooths out dry, flaky, bumpy skin and I noticed a big difference in only a week of use, since then the improvement has been slower but noticeable. It does have a slight scent but I've never been able to smell it once absorbed, in Europe it is also overpriced but that's the only negative! UPDATE: This is still wonderful for my KP, but not quite moisturizing enough in cooler weather so I either layer/alternate with Aveeno or Cetaphil and the results are still great!

on 1/14/2015 10:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love to use this lotion on my feet. Not the most appealing product scent/packaging wise but great for dry skin. Works great on feet when wearing fuzzy socks overnight.

on 1/17/2012 2:39:00 PM

I rarely write any reviews but had to about this product. This product is amazing!!! I can't get enough of it. I put it all over my face and body every night and I wake up in the morning with baby soft skin. I also have KP and it helped tremendously. Besides rare cases as the one below (with extremely sensitive skin) this lotion will work wonders.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have keratosis pilaris on my legs (basically super dry skin bumps.) None of those intense repair and super moisturizing lotions did A THING. Suddenly, it got really bad. My legs were full of red, itchy/painful bumps!! It actually looked like psoriasis or something. I started using my lotions. Those made them smooth for maybe an hour or two, but just stayed on the surface and did nothing to get rid of the bumps. I didn't want to have to go to the dermatologist, so I bought this b/c I heard such great things, and the derm probably would have recommended it anyway. WOW. THIS IS THE BEST LOTION I HAVE EVER USED! I have only been using it for a few days, so I'll edit when my legs are more used to it. The bumps' redess and size was greatly reduced by the FIRST DAY. This stuff is wonderful. When using it on my body, I apply it twice a day, when I wake up and before bed. Every other day, I'll use a body scrub to exfoliate the dead skin. After, I apply Amlactin. Warning- it does sting! In a good way, though, haha.) I have light acne and decided to try this on my face. It had alpha hydroxy acid, which is supposed to work wonders for acne. I haven't been using it long, but so far so good. I haven't broken out (crossing fingers,) and it hasn't made me oily. This is definitely a keeper :)

EDIT- This ended up being very harsh for my skin. Also, I went through the bottle way too fast for it to be worth it, especially because it was making my skin worse :( It cased my face to break out as well as my legs. Now I'm on Cetphil Restoraderm. It works bery well and is much gentler!

on 8/22/2011 9:11:00 PM

This former prescription-only lotion is great for dry skin and really helps speed up the exfoliating process. The fragrance is a strong ammonia like formula but it doesn't linger. It isn't too creamy and blends easily.

on 5/21/2011 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

There is nothing sexy or glamorous about this stuff, except it works! AHAs have to be at the correct pH to work, and this one is around 5, which is where it should be. Can you say feet? I struggle with dry heels & toes, and if you sleep with this on under cotton socks, it works wonders. I wish I had samples of this to hand out to people with crusty feet--they'd be amazed. It's really great anywhere, except after shaving--it'll sting.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I purchased the 14.1 oz bottle (with a pump, yes!!) at Walgreen's, around 6 months ago. It is a little expensive - but it's worth it. If you really think about it though, it's a lotion with 12% AHA at 14.1 oz - I don't remember how much it was exactly, I think it was a little over $20. I know the 8 oz is $16.99. If you divide that by the amount you'd pay for an AHA cream (Let's say $5+ for a 1-2 oz jar) it's actually a pretty good value.. $1+ an oz. And actually, I just checked CVS' website and the reg price for their 8 oz bottle is $14.99. So you may want to shop around first. If you purchase this, make sure to USE THE COUPON on AmLactin's website. You'll save a couple of dollars (http://www.amlactin.com/coupon.html). *** The main reason I purchased this lotion is because of the Keratosis Pilaris (KP) I've had on my upper arms all of my life. I actually never knew I had KP, until someone pointed it out. If you're not familiar with what it is, it's tiny colorless bumps that look like goosebumps - the area can look a little rosy pink as well. They tend to appear less in the heat, and more in the cold. It's very common esp. if you have dry skin or eczema. Mine isn't bad, but I'd like to keep it under control. This really helps. Also, genetically I have coarse hair - and I tend to get ingrown on my legs from shaving - that appear as little bumps.. and I sometimes feel like I never get a smooth shave because of it. This helps exfoliate your skin and lets those little hairs pop out. This is effective on my knees and elbows as well. I actually, sometimes even use it on my face to help fade blemish scars. Love this stuff and I highly recommend it.

on 1/23/2011 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I bought this lotion hoping it would help decrease the ingrown hairs I get on the backs of my thighs (I know, random place for ingrowns). While I don't think it did much to decrease the ingrowns it did make my skin incredibley soft. The smell isn't very attractive but it fades pretty fast.

on 9/21/2010 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Got a 17.6 oz. pump bottle of this at Costco for a very good price. I had used the cream (tube) version of this years ago on my feet but it was just too oily for body or hand use. The lotion is very thin but this allows one to use a small amount and spread it easily over a large area. True, it does smell bad due to the lactic acid content being neutralized with ammonium hydroxide. This ammonia odor does dissipate pretty rapidly but is very unpleasant at first. The lotion is somewhat greasy but AmLactin really does the job of softening even dead-skin or calused areas. I am eager to see if it will lighten some age-spots on the back of my hand...as a MUA poster has described. I will update regarding this in the future.

Popular Lotions / Creams