AmLactin 12%

AmLactin 12%Amlactin MeAmLactin 12%

4.3

on 3/28/2018 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

What I cannot stand about this lotion is not smelling like horse piss, but the finish. This is absolutely THE stickiest lotion I have ever used in my life. Even if this were the only moisturizer available in the world and my skin was bleeding out of dry cracked skin, I will not use this. How do other people tolerate having this on the skin everyday? I was excited to try this as my daily body lotion because although my face is good and clear, my back unfortunately is prone to cystic pimples and is covered in acne scars. The first time I tried this, I slathered a generous amount over my entire body and noticed that the finish was quite greasy and extremely sticky. I continued rubbing it into the skin hoping it will fully absorb and the sticky feeling will dissipate, and I walked around my house naked (sorry, TMI) because I couldn't imagine putting clothes on with this unpleasant, hot stickiness situation going on. I was naked for a good 25 minutes before I realized that the sticky feeling will not go away - it's not something that will absorb, but it will merely sit on the skin. Every time my arm or hair touched my neck and breast or whatever part of my skin that had the lotion on, they will momentarily "stick" to each other because of the tacky finish, and even though I had washed my hands, every time my hands would touch any part of my body, the tackiness will rub off on my hands and I would have to wash them again. After wasting a good 40 minutes with this nonsense, I ran back into the shower and rinsed my entire body.

I got back to reading more reviews about this (because I really wanted this lotion to work for my bacne) and other people seemed to recommend putting a small, thin layer of this and work it into the skin. Who has time for that in the morning anyway, but I decided to try the suggested method of application. I pumped a small amount of it onto my hand and worked a thin layer into my body by rubbing them in as if I were giving myself a rigorous massage. After waiting for about 10 minutes and still feeling tacky, I was brave enough to try putting on clothes. Big mistake. As soon as I put my underwear on, I felt like I had become a human lint roller, attracting every fiber of whatever fabric I had on my body. Rushed to the bathroom to take a second shower again and I won't give this another try.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I absolutely love this lotion, its the only thing that has made even the slightest difference to my chronic keratosis pilaris. It smooths out dry, flaky, bumpy skin and I noticed a big difference in only a week of use, since then the improvement has been slower but noticeable. It does have a slight scent but I've never been able to smell it once absorbed, in Europe it is also overpriced but that's the only negative! UPDATE: This is still wonderful for my KP, but not quite moisturizing enough in cooler weather so I either layer/alternate with Aveeno or Cetaphil and the results are still great!

on 9/23/2015 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I moved to the Colorado mountains for a summer and found a bottle of this in the house I was renting. One day, in a moment of desperation, I applied it to my hands. My first thought after using it was, "Ermaghad! The old tenant filled this lotion bottle with some sort of ammonia-based cleaning fluid!," but the smell dissipated, I calmed down and read the ingredients label, and then noticed how great my hands felt.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover this product, especially after suffering many cold and dry northeastern winters as a kid. These days, I live in a warm climate and rarely use body lotion, but the Colorado air leaves my skin dry, tight, and itchy feeling, and the wimpy moisturizer I packed for my summer here just wasn't cutting it. Anyway, fast forward to three months later and I have totally used up mystery previous tenant's bottle of Amlactin. I'm not gonna lie, it smells pretty weird, but it works and I'm not a huge fan of fragrant products anyway. You're not supposed to use this on your face, but it worked so well on my body that I bought a night face cream containing lactic acid and that has done wonders for my complexion (I've discovered AHAs!) Also, I've been outdoors all summer and haven't experienced any sun sensitivity with this product, although I am an avid sunscreen user and I usually apply Amlactin at night.

I'm not going to be in the Centennial State for much longer, but if I ever find myself in a dry or cold climate again, you betcha I'll be repurchasing.

on 11/8/2014 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I bought this to deal with my super dry legs in winter and brighten up a couple of scars I have from mosquito bites. It unfortunately leaves a film of oil on my skin, instead of completely absorbing, which I hate. It also burns real bad if you apply it after shaving your legs. I've also not seen and brightening effects on my scars. Basically, I just don't see what the hype is. I am going to finish the whole bottle and go with Glytone next.

on 3/23/2013 9:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

On my 2nd bottle of this stuff..Great for those with KP..I have moderate KP on my arms and legs and this keeps it under control. It is also great on my feet and keeps my heels from being nasty and dry. I used this twice a day for the first week and now use it every other day to keep my KP away. Yes it doesn't smell very good but you have to remember that this is a chemical lotion and is suppose to treat skin, not make it smell good..plus the smell doesn't linger..my skin doesn't smell like anything after I use it. I will continue to repurchase this for my KP!

on 9/6/2012 5:01:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have absolutely no complaints about the performance of AmLactin. It works, and it works FAST. I have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms, and this lotion made my arms noticeably smoother within a few days. I find that I don't have to reapply it that often to maintain the results, either... at this point, I apply it before bed 2-3 times a week, and it keeps the bumps at bay.

I don't particularly like the texture of the lotion, however. It's very runny and it doesn't absorb into the skin very quickly. Also, it's fragrance-free, and the way it smells is... eh, not terrible, but certainly not pleasant. To get over the texture/smell issues, I like to mix 2 parts AmLactin with 1 part of a thicker, lightly scented body lotion before I apply it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

A derm recommended this for the ketosis pilaris I have on my chest and legs and I find that while it doesnt cure it (nothing does) it definitely helps. I have been using it for about 3 months, by the way, but I remember noticing improvement within weeks. At first, I used it AM and PM, but now i only use it in PM (I don't really like wearing any lotion but SPF in the summer). It makes my skin look and feel much smoother and it also seems to help calm it and make it less red (which I had not expected). The only thing that bothers me about this stuff is you have remember to WEAR A GOOD SPF daily on any areas that might get exposed. I got sunburned on the back of my calves while running in the morning despite the fact that it was a real stretch to call it running (so I was not sweating) and I had applied SPF to that area before going out (plus it was 6am and i was only out for like 40 mins!). Normally, I am not prone to sunburn, but I also blame it on the SPF I was using (it claimed to be 70spf).

Great lotion. I've been suffering from a skin rash that spread from my mid back to all over my back, chest, stomach, and shoulders which has been going on for about a year now and nothing I tried before seemed to have any affect on it. After doing some research, this lotion kept coming up and I figured it doesn't hurt to try. I'm really glad I did. Though the rash and bumps are not completely gone, I do believe it is this lotion that stabilized the rash and kept it from growing further. The bumps have gone down exceedingly and the lotion has helped to heal my skin. The smell is kinda funky but its not overpowering.

on 11/9/2011 8:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm going to try something a little different with this review. I'm going to start off by explaining what I initially think about it, and then I'm going to come here week by week, to note any changes. A little about me, I normally don't use body moisturizer. There really is no need for me as I don't get dry. What I do need help with, is back acne. AHA is apparently wonderful for light to moderate cases of back acne. I'm using this product for that sole purpose. For face, and back acne. I just purchased AmLactin this afternoon. I just washed my face as normal, toned with Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel and then slathered this on my upper back, tops of shoulders, and a pea sized amount on my face. Initially I didn't think this product smelled too bad. I sniffed it from the bottle and it basically smelled like a slightly medicated lotion. I'm used to those smells. However when you put it on your body, the smell changes DRASTICALLY. I REEK of ammonia. I actually smell like a hair salon when they're dyeing someone's hair. It's a heavy ammonia smell coming off of my skin. It's been 10 minutes and I don't notice it fading. I also feel extremely sticky and tacky. I'm really not enjoying how this lotion feels. I do notice it starting to sink in, but the initial few minutes made me feel really gross. On my face I have a few acne, some which are open. This STINGS on broken skin... badly. Fortunately it faded fast, but it absolutely woke me up. I'm going to use this lotion every day for the next week. I will be back on November 16th with an update. ***I know I said I'd be back in a week, but the results are so drastic after 8 hours of sleeping that I had to post. I had extreme flaking on my face due to harsh facial washes I was using. All flakes are gone. The acne break out I had along my jaw line, although still there, is noticeably cleared and much smaller. My cheeks are glowing, my pores appear smaller, my skin is even toned, smooth. I don't want to jinx it. But it's phenomenal so far. Also, it did not cause an irritation outbreak on my shoulders or back. That says something b/c EVERYTHING breaks out my shoulders and back.

***** OK so It's been a week and one day and I can say that I really like this cream. I'm still not a fan of the scent, I slather it all over my shoulders and back and face at night and in the morning I use it on my face under makeup. My face has been 100% flake free since using this. I had a horrendous outbreak on my back, after a week, it's gone. I'm left with some slight scarring but eventually it will fade. This cream has not broken my face or body out at all. If anything it's healed my face and has made it extremely smooth, even toned, and looks flawless with makeup on. I'm convinced it's keeping my back outbreaks at bay, and I love that my skin isn't reacting to it. Will continue to rebuy.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Neutral

I bought this because I have KP and was hoping this would help me get rid of it. I have a mild/moderate case on my upper arms and mild on my upper thighs.
Unfortunately this did nothing for my KP. I bought the big bottle at Costco and I used it 1-2x everyday, for over a month. My KP is still there while the bottle is empty. I'm so disappointed, I really hope to find something to get rid of my KP.
It's ok as just a moisturizer. My skin is not very dry, so most body lotions are enough for me.

Popular Lotions / Creams