Filtered by hair type : Curly

4.6

on 9/23/2015 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I moved to the Colorado mountains for a summer and found a bottle of this in the house I was renting. One day, in a moment of desperation, I applied it to my hands. My first thought after using it was, "Ermaghad! The old tenant filled this lotion bottle with some sort of ammonia-based cleaning fluid!," but the smell dissipated, I calmed down and read the ingredients label, and then noticed how great my hands felt.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover this product, especially after suffering many cold and dry northeastern winters as a kid. These days, I live in a warm climate and rarely use body lotion, but the Colorado air leaves my skin dry, tight, and itchy feeling, and the wimpy moisturizer I packed for my summer here just wasn't cutting it. Anyway, fast forward to three months later and I have totally used up mystery previous tenant's bottle of Amlactin. I'm not gonna lie, it smells pretty weird, but it works and I'm not a huge fan of fragrant products anyway. You're not supposed to use this on your face, but it worked so well on my body that I bought a night face cream containing lactic acid and that has done wonders for my complexion (I've discovered AHAs!) Also, I've been outdoors all summer and haven't experienced any sun sensitivity with this product, although I am an avid sunscreen user and I usually apply Amlactin at night.

I'm not going to be in the Centennial State for much longer, but if I ever find myself in a dry or cold climate again, you betcha I'll be repurchasing.

on 4/27/2015 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have atopic dermatitis (or eczema) and my dermatologist recommended this to me. I have been using this for 4 years, and I LOVE it. It helps to moisturize and remove those dark rough patches from scratching my arms and legs out. But beware, DO NOT USE THIS AFTER YOU SHAVE. It will STING. The first year of using it it stung so badly, but now I'm used to it. I just love it. Weirdly, in summer it's a bit too heavy to the point my arms and legs are sweating (which I don't do) and in winter it's just too light ( I have to use a body butter over it). But if you have normal skin, you will be okay.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I bought a big bottle of this at Costco for around $12 dollars after hearing good reviews. I bought it because my skin gets very dry in the colder months, and I love that it has lactic acid to make my skin really smooth and possibly fade some scars on my body that I have. My only complaint is that I wish this what a bit richer and creamier, but it does moisturize really well. This winter I've alternated between this and coconut oil, and I'm very pleased.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I break out on my chest and back and this stuff really clears it up. The only problem i have is it doesnt smell that great but for smooth skin I think ill deal with it. I put it on my face too and it seems to smooth my skin up .

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

First off, this is awesome for KP, which I have on my arms and legs. I use the lotion every day, and I dry brush every other day before I shower and the difference I've seen in two weeks time has been astounding. I never realized I could have normal skin! I have a few bumps left, but the majority are healing and/or gone. I think with another two to three weeks use they will all be gone.

The cons: It's expensive. I used the $2 off coupon available on Amlactin's website, but still...that's a lot (for me) to pay for a lotion that I put on the majority of my body. Also, it smells like glue with a delightful top note of ammonia. The scent does go away after a while, but still, not the most glamorous thing in the universe.

The consistency is very thin, and I have had the best luck (both with application and effectiveness) waiting for my skin to dry after I shower and then applying it. It absorbs quickly, within 5 minutes. I don't personally need a lot, I cover everything witih a very thin layer and I apply it to the bumpy bits ONLY. I applied it to my entire body ONCE and my neck went dry, scaly, burning, peeling crazy gross. It hurt so much it actually woke me up in the middle of the night, and I spent a good 10 minutes sponging off my neck/chest with cool water. Be careful, this lotion is for real and can truly screw up those who, like me, have sensitive skin. My own experience has been that those areas affected by KP can take some 'tough love' in the manual and chemical exfoliation department, but I need to treat the rest of my skin with mild products.

The packaging is 'meh' with a side of 'whatever'. I got the big bottle with a pump and it's easy to use, 2 pumps for each leg and one for each arm and I'm done. I do also use this on my feet and hands and I've noticed I have a much easier time with gnarly ragged cuticles and I need to work with Mr. Pumice much less. The bottle itself is boring, generic pharmacy type packaging. I really don't care, if it works I could care less what it looks like on my bathroom counter.

One additional preachy toned note: This stuff can increase your skin's sun sensitivity. If you get sun, are outdoors a lot, etc. put a sunscreen on those areas that are exposed. Seriously. I realize it's a pain and an additional step and all that, but do you really want arm skin that looks like an old baseball glove in 10 years? Or worse, skin cancer?

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I purchased the 14.1 oz bottle (with a pump, yes!!) at Walgreen's, around 6 months ago. It is a little expensive - but it's worth it. If you really think about it though, it's a lotion with 12% AHA at 14.1 oz - I don't remember how much it was exactly, I think it was a little over $20. I know the 8 oz is $16.99. If you divide that by the amount you'd pay for an AHA cream (Let's say $5+ for a 1-2 oz jar) it's actually a pretty good value.. $1+ an oz. And actually, I just checked CVS' website and the reg price for their 8 oz bottle is $14.99. So you may want to shop around first. If you purchase this, make sure to USE THE COUPON on AmLactin's website. You'll save a couple of dollars (http://www.amlactin.com/coupon.html). *** The main reason I purchased this lotion is because of the Keratosis Pilaris (KP) I've had on my upper arms all of my life. I actually never knew I had KP, until someone pointed it out. If you're not familiar with what it is, it's tiny colorless bumps that look like goosebumps - the area can look a little rosy pink as well. They tend to appear less in the heat, and more in the cold. It's very common esp. if you have dry skin or eczema. Mine isn't bad, but I'd like to keep it under control. This really helps. Also, genetically I have coarse hair - and I tend to get ingrown on my legs from shaving - that appear as little bumps.. and I sometimes feel like I never get a smooth shave because of it. This helps exfoliate your skin and lets those little hairs pop out. This is effective on my knees and elbows as well. I actually, sometimes even use it on my face to help fade blemish scars. Love this stuff and I highly recommend it.

on 12/27/2010 4:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I use the 12% lactic acid lotion once a day all over my body. It keeps my skin smooth and soft. Lactic acid both exfoliates and moisturizes.

on 6/15/2010 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am one of those girls always asking the skin borad what to do about my flaky skin on my face. It would be miserable sometimes putting on my foundation, I'd have to spend a lot of time getting rid of the flakes afterwards. Not no more, thanks to ALactin. It has reduced that problem 100%. Yes, I use it on my face, it does not clog my skin + in fact it has cleared out all my clogged pores. It is my HG for my face and I will always have it on hand forever.

Update: I've been using Olay resurfacing elixer with the best results to get rid of my flakes. Amlactin stinks and feels like glue on my face. I tossed it.

on 2/20/2010 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Overall, good product.
It definitely smooths out my skin and makes it feel a lot less bumpy. However, I have KP (like many of the people here) and this unfortunately did not get rid of them. I was not expecting a complete removal but was hoping that they would subside at least. It mostly just got rid of the redness and made it smoother. Would repurchase unless I found a better product.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have Kp on the back of my arms - the little white and red bumps that won't go away and become worse with scrubbing.
I have tried several creams and prescription but the Amlactin lotion works best on this area. After a week of use I saw a smoother surface. After a month, I still have some outbreaks but I can wear sleeveless tops without looking like a have some "icky" skin condition. While not perfect, it's the best solution I have found.

Popular Lotions / Creams