AmLactin Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion

AmLactin Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion
Daily Moisturizing Body LotionAmlactin MeDaily Moisturizing Body Lotion

4.7

on 6/30/2004 12:06:00 PM

**Update** After 6 weeks of using this lotion (I'm still on the original bottle!) it seems to have lost its effectiveness. A few small bumps reappeared. It's still better than if I hadn't used the lotion - but I'm going to ask the derm if he recs something different.** I bought this to soothe mild KP. I actually tried to buy Lac-Hydrin 12% based on P'ville reviews, but that is prescription whereas AmLactin is OTC (but you still have to ask the pharmacist for it). Kinda pricey, $18 for a medium sized bottle. Regardless, I am VERY happy with the results. I saw significant improvement within a week (applying twice a day), and now three weeks later, I don't have a bump in sight. I did not notice any fragrance to the lotion. The only downside is that the lotion feels sticky, and doesn't ever really dry (due to the humectant properties). A small price to pay for pretty skin. Symptoms are reduced to nearly nothing, but the KP is not treated, so I will continue re-purchasing.

on 3/9/2006 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I'm enormously happy with this product. It does what says it will do: moisturize and soften rough, dry skin. I am at the age where shocking things are happening to my skin that I swore would never happen to me. One of those things is the "lizard skin" on my calves. Scaly! Ugly! Scary! I was exfoliating with a loufa sponge every day in the shower. Vigorously. The using a very emolliont lotion. It was helping - but not totally fixing the problem. I read the reviews here and figured that it must be the exfoliating properties of the AmLactin that was helping the people who have KP to be rid of it when nothing else was working. I've been using the AmLactin morning and night for about two weeks - and the skin on my calves is smooth and not at all dehydrated looking anymore. This is not a "fancy" product and has some very basic ingredients - like mineral oil. The mineral oil will leave you feeling a little "sticky" for about the first 15 minutes after application. [Of course, that may be just me because I really slather the stuff on since I hate Scaly! Ugly! Scary! so much.] But I'm more than willing to live with that because it WORKS.

on 1/10/2007 2:17:00 PM

Amlactin was recommended by a friend who is in the skincare/spa business after I asked her what she was using to make her skin look so dewey. She said Amlactin esp because it has 12% lactic acid in in which is a natural product in fruits. I tried it and it is the BEST lotion ive ever used. and yes I use it on my face and its totally fine. The smell isnt great but you can mix it with some better smelling lotion and all is fine. I use it everywhere and my skin really sofe and trust me ive used everything out there. If you dont like the smell which isnt relaly that bad afterall, you can put it on at night and then wake up after it has settled in and shower. anyway, its the only way to shed all those dead layers of skin. Ive used salyacidic aacid stuff and this is way better.

on 11/11/2007 7:46:00 PM

This is too strong for my skin. It worked well on foot callouses, but irritated my hands and toes. Tried using it elsewhere and got chemical burns!

on 12/3/2007 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

AmLactin is an absolute staple for me. I have keratosis pilaris on the back of my upper arms, which seems to have worsened in the last five years. Manual exfoliation does not help much. I tried LacHydrin 5 at first, but found it wasn't strong enough. After reading about AmLactin (and looking everywhere for it), I found it at CVS and, a few months later, Walgreens. I use it daily right when I get out of the shower, which I find helps with the tackiness problem many complain about in the reviews. I also use it at night, both times as an all-over body lotion. It has made my skin so much smoother and more moisturized. I can skip using a shaving gel on my legs because they are so smooth already. Retails for about $15, but often goes on sale. Highly recommended!

on 1/12/2008 10:47:00 AM

I have seen this for sale at CVS for about $15, but my mom brings it home from the mental hospital she works at, they give it to patients with really bad feet and then the patients leave it behind.
Generally, it is lactic acid in a moisturizing base. It works as a chemical exfoliant, exfoliating dry dead skin to bring newer smoother skin cells to the surface. I use it on my hands, elbows, knees, feet, anywhere where I have really dry skin. It definately works. Not a luxurious product by any means, a blah slightly chemical smell, and very liquidy, so a little goes a long way. I highly recommend this for dry or calloused skin problems. It is a little expensive, but it actually DOES what all moisturizers CLAIM to do, instead of just temporarily softening. So I didn 't rate it as very expensive, becuase it is SO worth the money...I can have a $15 bottle of this or 30 $3 and $4 bottles of other moisturizers that I have accumulated in my search for something that actually gets rid of the dry skin. You do the math! And of course you can always let it sink in then apply your fav scented lotion on top. Did I mention it is worth it? It is! And if Estee Lauder made it, it would smell pretty, come in a fancy bottle, and cost $90!!!

PS - I would not use this on my face because it contains mineral oil.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This isn't a luxurious product, but it is a VERY effective one, and sometimes, that's what counts.

I don't think I have KP - but maybe I do: I was plagued by the vague appearance of chicken skin on my arms. On top of that, irregardless of whether I shaved or waxed my legs, I would get those little razor bumps.

After reading all the recommendations here, I decided to try this stuff. I knew it wasn't going to smell delicious. In fact, I was prepared for it to stink...lol. It doesn't. It has a faint odor but it disappears almost instantly. I only have been using it once a day and I really do have to admit that despite all the creams, lotions, and body butters that I slather myself with, this has succeeded where everything else has failed. It has resulted in such silky, smooth skin, that I've taken to using it everywhere. Oh I still indulge with all my luxury, good smelling stuff, but this goes on first, ONCE A DAY, no matter what. I just can't believe how effective this stuff is at a price that is so much more reasonable than say KP Duty.

Slightly OT, my dad has suffered from terrible skin problems as he's gotten older. He's always itchy, refuses to refrain from scratching, and because his skin is thinner now given his age, he regularly was breaking the skin and sometimes causing infections. His dermatologist kept trying different prescription preparations, but nothing seemed to work. Well, this did!

I've often wondered if I could scent this product myself by adding f.o. to it, because really, that vague odor, even though it does dissipate quickly, is the only drawback I can identify. I really can't recommend this product highly enough.

i am a product junkie (who here isnt?) and this is the only thing that has worked on my badly kp ridden upper arms

it even smoothed bumpies on my butt and calfs :p

amazing, wish i had found this 10 years ago

on 12/2/2008 11:14:00 AM

I have sensitive skin and get really bad razor irritation on my legs, from shaving. I have tried lotion after lotion to relieve the itching and rash, to no avail.And I wasn't going to give up shaving for anything! I finally had to go to the dermatologist after a bad bout. He recommended Amlactin. I was amazed at just how well it worked to relieve the itching and cleared up the razor bumps. It was like night and day. It also moisturizes really well and especially during the winter months when the air is so drying. it can be a bit sticky but for me, it's worth it. It's also pricey, but I found it in large sizes at my local costco for a great price!

on 2/2/2009 2:22:00 AM

HG, HG, HG!

I bought this to get ride of razor bumps on my legs, but ended up using it as a night time moisturiser on MUA recs (thanks girls!). I am 29, with normal to oily skin with some clogged pores in the T zone. And occassional hormonal pimples.

This lotion exfoliates amazingly well without drying out my skin. I like this much better than glycolic acid, which stung too much. I've been using this about three times a week (alternate with eluage) for a month. My skin is smooth, hydrated and clear in the mornings. I live in a tropical climate. This is not too oily if I use just a pea-size amount.

In the mornings, I use a Japanese sunblock enriched with zinc/titanium dioxide, and my skin looks great. Try it! If you don't like it, can always use on your legs and feet.

Popular Lotions / Creams