AmLactin 12%

AmLactin 12%Amlactin MeAmLactin 12%

4.1

on 3/28/2018 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

What I cannot stand about this lotion is not smelling like horse piss, but the finish. This is absolutely THE stickiest lotion I have ever used in my life. Even if this were the only moisturizer available in the world and my skin was bleeding out of dry cracked skin, I will not use this. How do other people tolerate having this on the skin everyday? I was excited to try this as my daily body lotion because although my face is good and clear, my back unfortunately is prone to cystic pimples and is covered in acne scars. The first time I tried this, I slathered a generous amount over my entire body and noticed that the finish was quite greasy and extremely sticky. I continued rubbing it into the skin hoping it will fully absorb and the sticky feeling will dissipate, and I walked around my house naked (sorry, TMI) because I couldn't imagine putting clothes on with this unpleasant, hot stickiness situation going on. I was naked for a good 25 minutes before I realized that the sticky feeling will not go away - it's not something that will absorb, but it will merely sit on the skin. Every time my arm or hair touched my neck and breast or whatever part of my skin that had the lotion on, they will momentarily "stick" to each other because of the tacky finish, and even though I had washed my hands, every time my hands would touch any part of my body, the tackiness will rub off on my hands and I would have to wash them again. After wasting a good 40 minutes with this nonsense, I ran back into the shower and rinsed my entire body.

I got back to reading more reviews about this (because I really wanted this lotion to work for my bacne) and other people seemed to recommend putting a small, thin layer of this and work it into the skin. Who has time for that in the morning anyway, but I decided to try the suggested method of application. I pumped a small amount of it onto my hand and worked a thin layer into my body by rubbing them in as if I were giving myself a rigorous massage. After waiting for about 10 minutes and still feeling tacky, I was brave enough to try putting on clothes. Big mistake. As soon as I put my underwear on, I felt like I had become a human lint roller, attracting every fiber of whatever fabric I had on my body. Rushed to the bathroom to take a second shower again and I won't give this another try.

on 9/18/2009 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

My dermatologist recommended this product to me for my Keratosis Pilaris. I really thought that it would work, but unfortunately it did not. Looking through the other reviews for this lotion I can see that it does work for most people so I think that my skin needs something else. I used this until the 5 oz. tube was empty and that took about a month. I used it twice daily. My KP did not improve. In fact, I got larger bumps that looked like pimples so I think this lotion may have made it worse. I also got red, itchy skin around my arms. I started using it on my legs and it works fine there.

on 9/25/2004 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Get the prescription stuff (LacHydrin). I have horrible keratosis pilaris on my arms and, uh, posterior and the OTC stuff did NOT work at all for me. My pharmacist told me AmLactin and LacHydrin were the same (when their ingredient lists are different)when my derm wrote my Rx. I am so angry because I lived with the ugly bumps for five years (read: my arms looked like pizza, long sleeves in the summer). Then I got a bottle of the prescription stuff a few months ago in a last ditch effort to save my skin. I use it ONLY TWICE A WEEK and my KP -what was considered a serious adult case- is GONE. Run, do not walk, to your dermatologist for the Rx real deal.

on 11/8/2014 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I bought this to deal with my super dry legs in winter and brighten up a couple of scars I have from mosquito bites. It unfortunately leaves a film of oil on my skin, instead of completely absorbing, which I hate. It also burns real bad if you apply it after shaving your legs. I've also not seen and brightening effects on my scars. Basically, I just don't see what the hype is. I am going to finish the whole bottle and go with Glytone next.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Neutral

I bought this because I have KP and was hoping this would help me get rid of it. I have a mild/moderate case on my upper arms and mild on my upper thighs.
Unfortunately this did nothing for my KP. I bought the big bottle at Costco and I used it 1-2x everyday, for over a month. My KP is still there while the bottle is empty. I'm so disappointed, I really hope to find something to get rid of my KP.
It's ok as just a moisturizer. My skin is not very dry, so most body lotions are enough for me.

on 10/14/2009 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I like using AHA lotions on my body to keep it from drying out in colder temperatures and to keep it smooth. I bought this in a large size at Costco to use last winter. It's a runny, yogurt-smelling lotion that leaves you a bit sticky. It didn't really make an impression on me as an exfoliator but just struck me as a bland lotion. I realized that the pH makes this lotion unsuitable for great exfoliation and I stopped using it. My mom, however, who has really dry, sensitive skin and doesn't use anything on her body except water really likes this lotion. She claims it moisturizes her feet and cuticles.

on 12/5/2007 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

What's the big deal about using this on your face? seriously Alpha Hydrox 12% AHA Souffle is the same thing, and I don't hear people freaking out about that. So what, it's not marketed for use on the face? There are many, many products that aren't, but people don't seem to be hung up about using them on their faces. Anyway, I ran out of the Devita 'high performace aha' I normally use on my skin, and decided to give this a try while I was waiting for my new bottle of Devita to arrive in the mail. honestly I'm going to return the Devita when it arrives because this works just as well and is about 1/2 the price and I don't have to order it online. It did feel feel sticky on skin, but eh...live with it. I don't like mineral oil, but eh...live with it. it has a funky smell, but...eh, not a big deal. Normally those things would be deal breakers, but the product works so well to smooth my skin, moisturize it, and reduce uneven skin tone that I'm willing to over look it. ETA: I think this is what caused my skin to get contact dermatitis, and then cystic acne (which I haven't had a problem with in well over a year). I will stick to using this on my body and go back to the Devita AHA for my face.

I bought this from Costco (I love Costco! You can get this lotion at $17 for almost 17 oz. Drugstore.com sells the 8 oz bottle at $15). I have been using it on my body for a week. As a frequent purchaser of AHA body lotion, I noticed that this one is made of lactic acid instead of glycolic acid (which is far more common).

Lactic acid is supposed to be milder, more moisturzing than the more popular glycolic acid. Indeed, I found this lotion more hydrating than my 15% glycolic lotion. On the other hand, it is also more sticky and I have to get used to this sticky feeling on my skin.

At 12%, it is not the highest concentration of AHA body lotion you can buy. However, it does the trick -- smoothing out your skin -- just a little bit slower than the more aggressive formula. The good thing is that you have less chances of getting an allergic reaction.

So far, I found this lotion as effective as many other AHA products five to ten times more expensive.

Update: As summer approaches, I cannot stand the sticky tacky feeling on my skin. It feels like glue. I will try Lac Hydrin's Five Moisturizing lotion since that one is less sticky.

on 4/9/2008 1:47:00 AM

Meh. This stuff is pretty good for moisturizing, but it has a weird, sticky texture that I always have to wash off my hands after applying. It also doesn't smell so good. It hasn't done anything for my KP. I think Aquaphor is as moisturizing without all the negatives (and it's wayyy cheaper).

on 1/14/2015 10:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love to use this lotion on my feet. Not the most appealing product scent/packaging wise but great for dry skin. Works great on feet when wearing fuzzy socks overnight.

Popular Lotions / Creams