AmLactin Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion

AmLactin Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion
Daily Moisturizing Body LotionAmlactin MeDaily Moisturizing Body Lotion

4.3

I have had extremely bad eczema on my back for nearly 20 years, and I have tried nearly everything from bleach baths (don't ask), to prescription creams and hydrocortisone. Until Amlactin the ONLY thing that helped was the hydrocortisone cream, but I didn't want to be a chronic user. So, like all the other "Guess I'll try this one and see" products, I bought this on a whim figuring it probably wouldn't work. HOLY COW!!! IT DOES!!! I cannot convey adequately what a night and day difference this has been! I went from a horrible looking and terribly itchy rash of bumps on my back to SMOOTH in less than a week! So then I decided to try it on my hairline before bed because I have what I think is eczema there too. I have scaly dandruff there, but apparently after one day, not anymore! I have never before encountered such a dramatic result in my life.

So, yes, as someone reviewed somewhere else, it does have a crayon smell, but for me it goes away quickly, and it only reminds me of kindergarten, so big deal. ;^) I am so encouraged that I've started using it all over...on my flaky legs, dry hard heels and patches of dryness on my face.

I will say that it is sticky feeling which does irritate my throat a bit (I also have sensitive skin to heat/moisture), so I've taken to night applications and showering it off in the morning.

The stinging? Well, that's the nature of the beast. That just tells me it's effective and working. I don't think you can get an effective AHA type product that doesn't sting a little.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This isn't a luxurious product, but it is a VERY effective one, and sometimes, that's what counts.

I don't think I have KP - but maybe I do: I was plagued by the vague appearance of chicken skin on my arms. On top of that, irregardless of whether I shaved or waxed my legs, I would get those little razor bumps.

After reading all the recommendations here, I decided to try this stuff. I knew it wasn't going to smell delicious. In fact, I was prepared for it to stink...lol. It doesn't. It has a faint odor but it disappears almost instantly. I only have been using it once a day and I really do have to admit that despite all the creams, lotions, and body butters that I slather myself with, this has succeeded where everything else has failed. It has resulted in such silky, smooth skin, that I've taken to using it everywhere. Oh I still indulge with all my luxury, good smelling stuff, but this goes on first, ONCE A DAY, no matter what. I just can't believe how effective this stuff is at a price that is so much more reasonable than say KP Duty.

Slightly OT, my dad has suffered from terrible skin problems as he's gotten older. He's always itchy, refuses to refrain from scratching, and because his skin is thinner now given his age, he regularly was breaking the skin and sometimes causing infections. His dermatologist kept trying different prescription preparations, but nothing seemed to work. Well, this did!

I've often wondered if I could scent this product myself by adding f.o. to it, because really, that vague odor, even though it does dissipate quickly, is the only drawback I can identify. I really can't recommend this product highly enough.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

First off, this is awesome for KP, which I have on my arms and legs. I use the lotion every day, and I dry brush every other day before I shower and the difference I've seen in two weeks time has been astounding. I never realized I could have normal skin! I have a few bumps left, but the majority are healing and/or gone. I think with another two to three weeks use they will all be gone.

The cons: It's expensive. I used the $2 off coupon available on Amlactin's website, but still...that's a lot (for me) to pay for a lotion that I put on the majority of my body. Also, it smells like glue with a delightful top note of ammonia. The scent does go away after a while, but still, not the most glamorous thing in the universe.

The consistency is very thin, and I have had the best luck (both with application and effectiveness) waiting for my skin to dry after I shower and then applying it. It absorbs quickly, within 5 minutes. I don't personally need a lot, I cover everything witih a very thin layer and I apply it to the bumpy bits ONLY. I applied it to my entire body ONCE and my neck went dry, scaly, burning, peeling crazy gross. It hurt so much it actually woke me up in the middle of the night, and I spent a good 10 minutes sponging off my neck/chest with cool water. Be careful, this lotion is for real and can truly screw up those who, like me, have sensitive skin. My own experience has been that those areas affected by KP can take some 'tough love' in the manual and chemical exfoliation department, but I need to treat the rest of my skin with mild products.

The packaging is 'meh' with a side of 'whatever'. I got the big bottle with a pump and it's easy to use, 2 pumps for each leg and one for each arm and I'm done. I do also use this on my feet and hands and I've noticed I have a much easier time with gnarly ragged cuticles and I need to work with Mr. Pumice much less. The bottle itself is boring, generic pharmacy type packaging. I really don't care, if it works I could care less what it looks like on my bathroom counter.

One additional preachy toned note: This stuff can increase your skin's sun sensitivity. If you get sun, are outdoors a lot, etc. put a sunscreen on those areas that are exposed. Seriously. I realize it's a pain and an additional step and all that, but do you really want arm skin that looks like an old baseball glove in 10 years? Or worse, skin cancer?

on 2/19/2011 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Overall, this product is so effective, that it has changed my life. I read the previous reviews and decided to try this on my face. When I went to purchase this lotion, I was a little shocked by the price tag for a drugstore product, but purchased it anyway. I noticed an immediate difference from the first application. I have been using it a little over a week now. I apply this under my makeup in the morning and I no longer need to worry about my facial oil (I previously had to touch up all day long, despite using expensive oil control products and retin-A, etc). This is the only product that has worked for me in that regard. In that sense, it was life changing, because my facial oil was a constant worry for me. I now use it everywhere, and my hands have also never been so soft. It also works great as an eye cream. Also, it is the only product that has cleared my back acne. Has eliminated the need for multiple products and really streamlined my routine. If you have any of the problems that I had, please try this.

on 2/21/2014 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my go-to moisturizer, it works wonders on my dry, flaky, winter skin. I use it every day after the shower and my skin stays soft and moisturized all day. In addition to moisturizing it is working on the sun damage brown spots that have popped up on my legs and arms, they look lighter and my skin has a lovely glow. The high percentage of alpha hydroxy acid,12%, really works wonders. Just remember to use sun block when you are using any alpha hydroxy product.

The only drawback is the smell and the lingering stickiness. The smell is off-putting at first but the results are so good that I choose to overlook it. I don't have an issue with the stickiness as long as I wait a little before putting on my cloths.

Over a recent ski trip I ran out of my expensive facial moisturizer and used this on my face (yikes!), it worked so well for the dryness I am now using it when my facial skin is particularly dry. I do not have sensitive skin so maybe those of you who do should not try this but it sure works for me. I can't believe that there is not more hype about this product, maybe because there is no marketing. You could easily spend 3x as much on a moisturizer and not get such good results.

on 5/29/2010 5:14:00 PM

AmLactin 12% alpha-hydroxy lotion is my unglamorous secret weapon for hands, elbows, heels, upper arms, knees and any other rough spots.

I began using it a year or so ago on my hands every night, hoping to keep my dry hands and cuticles under control. I have had mild scarring on the back of my left hand since I was a baby and I am amazed at how well AmLactin has smoothed out my skin and diminished the scarring. This has happened over time (like a year) so don't expect overnight results.

It also works very well on KP on upper arms and helps keep my heels smooth between visits from Mr. Pumice.

I buy AmLactin at my local CVS where it can be found on the bottom shelf in the lotion aisle (along with the other unglamorous products). It's pricy at $15 or $16 US for 7.9 oz, however you can download a $2 coupon at amlactin.com and if you can combine it with CVS ExtraBucks, you can save.

AmLactin doesn't smell great - actually, it smells like something you might need a prescription for - and the bottle is a plain flip-top plastic one but to me, the product inside is what really matters and I will keep re-purchasing.

AmLactin may be a little tough on sensitive skins, so remember that your mileage may vary. ; )

I should also add that I only use AmLactin at night. I find it a little tacky feeling on my hands for during the day.

on 1/12/2008 10:47:00 AM

I have seen this for sale at CVS for about $15, but my mom brings it home from the mental hospital she works at, they give it to patients with really bad feet and then the patients leave it behind.
Generally, it is lactic acid in a moisturizing base. It works as a chemical exfoliant, exfoliating dry dead skin to bring newer smoother skin cells to the surface. I use it on my hands, elbows, knees, feet, anywhere where I have really dry skin. It definately works. Not a luxurious product by any means, a blah slightly chemical smell, and very liquidy, so a little goes a long way. I highly recommend this for dry or calloused skin problems. It is a little expensive, but it actually DOES what all moisturizers CLAIM to do, instead of just temporarily softening. So I didn 't rate it as very expensive, becuase it is SO worth the money...I can have a $15 bottle of this or 30 $3 and $4 bottles of other moisturizers that I have accumulated in my search for something that actually gets rid of the dry skin. You do the math! And of course you can always let it sink in then apply your fav scented lotion on top. Did I mention it is worth it? It is! And if Estee Lauder made it, it would smell pretty, come in a fancy bottle, and cost $90!!!

PS - I would not use this on my face because it contains mineral oil.

This stuff is a lifesaver. After putting on shorts and venturing outside into natural light for the first time after this very harsh winter, I discovered that my legs were a mess. They were covered in both red and flesh colored bumps and my skin tone was terrible, bordering on sallow. Knowing I would need to have my legs exposed in a dress at a spring wedding, I purchased the generic formula lotion at CVS for the KP on my legs, hips, arms, and the backs of my hands.

I wasn't expecting a miracle, but I also wasn't expecting the results I received. Within a week of nightly use, I ventured outside again to discover that my skin tone was much more even and the bumps had greatly reduced. Within another week, my skin looks better than it has in years. I still have some flesh colored bumps in my legs, but they are hardly noticeable. I anticipate that they will go away with continued use of the lotion. My hands are now completely clear of KP.

I have extremely sensitive skin and was afraid that I would experience irritation. Not only have had no irritation, but I started mixing a small drop of this lotion into my nightly Cerave PM moisturizer two times a week and wake up with glowing skin. I have perioral dermatitis and I am acne prone but I have experienced no reaction in using this on my face. I am pretty impressed.

The smell is kind of gross...I think it smells like glue. However, it dissipates in 5-10 minutes and doesn't linger. I only use the lotion before bed (post-shower), so the odor is a non-issue for me.

While the price is high for body lotion (even the generic), I really wish I would have discovered this product sooner. Since it does what it says, the price is worth it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I use this only on my face. It feels too sticky on my arms and legs and takes too long to dry. On my face, it burns, really burns for more than a minute. Then, when it stops burning, it's fine - no smell, no tackiness, nothing. It's so moisturizing, i get no flakes even from Tazorac every 3rd night. I hope that as I continue to use it, I'll have skin like that of the lady in the pictures (reviewer Syrie) - dewy, luminous skin.

on 9/3/2010 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

this is one hell of a multi-tasking product! i initially bought this because ever since Paula's Choice stopped making their Weightless Body Treatment with 2% BHA, i've been floundering for something to use on the little bit of bumpiness (KP) on the backs of my arms. a long time ago i read on Paula's website that the only real way to treat KP was to use something with BHA/salicylic acid in it because it's the only acid that can actually absorb into a blocked pore and push the blockage out from the inside. for that reason, i never thought of trying anything with AHA's in it, because i thought they would only work on the outer layer of skin and not do anything for what was beneath the surface. out of desperation and after reading all the rave reviews i decided to take a chance and try this and I LOVE IT!!! it works very well on my KP, which is to say that it reduces the uneven texture of the skin by a good 75% (never found anything that completely clears it yet and probably never will). it leaves my skin smoother, softer, and lessens the KP bumps, leaving the ones that do crop up easier to get rid of with manual exfoliation. a lot of people use this on their face and say that it helps even skin tone and soothe redness and i desperately wanted to try that but was terrified to risk it because any time i've ever used any AHA's on my face i've been left with horrible red, rashy, itchy hives that last for a week or more. i decided to do a patch test and applied a small spot on my face for a few days with no reaction so i went for it and now i use it every single night! it has SIGNIFICANTLY lessened the redness i have on my cheeks and also helps to keep my skin smooth, but i must warn anyone with sensitive skin to start out slowly and use only the tiniest, tiniest bit of the lotion when applying to your face (and to use something else around the delicate skin surrounding your eyes). near the beginning of my usage i got a little too generous with my application and i did wake up to itchy, red skin. after i let it heal, i started back up on the Amlactin but made sure to only use a tiny amount (i'm talking half a pea-sized dot for my whole face) and have had no problems since. this is such a useful product for me because i can use it on my arms, face, feet and even legs when i want some gentle exfolation. you get a huge amount (7.9 oz.) for around $11 and the packaging is simple and effective, with the only room for improvement being the addition of a pump. the only con i really see with Amlactin is the fact that when first applied it leaves my skin kind of sticky and tacky, and my face shiny. this isn't really a problem for me because i use it at night and when i wake up in the morning, it has all absorbed and my skin is smooth and soft, but this definitely isn't something you could use on your face under makeup. i did consider taking away one lippie for the sticky feeling but i just don't feel it would be fair because the product is so great and only has this one fault. if you have reactive skin and have never been able to reap the benefits of using AHA's i would strongly recommend trying Amlactin and seeing if it could work for you (USED SPARINGLY!) like it has worked for me. this is definitely a product i'll always keep around.
*UPDATE* stopped using this for a few days, not for any particular reason, but just because i was feeling lazy and minimalist. very quickly i noticed that my skin was looking redder and more blotchy than usual... and the only thing that had changed was my skipping the nightly Amlactin. now i am 100% convinced that this noticeably helps the redness i have on my cheeks, and this is the only product i can confidently say that about. won't be forgetting to use this again!

Popular Lotions / Creams