AmLactin 12%Amlactin MeAmLactin 12%

4.3

on 1/9/2004 2:28:00 AM

This is a really basic, lightly scented lotion. With AMAZING moisturizing properties. Lactic acid is a humectant, which draws moisture to your skin. I have been using this on my body during the deepest dryest winter, with heat, cold, dehydration, winter, too much coffee. I used a bottle of St. Ives Silk stuff. TBS Shea Butter. NONE held a candle to a normal size application of this. When I get in the shower, my skin feels really soft and clean, not sticky.
Recommended! Apparently the 12% is the best, from what I've read on the skin board. I got mine at Costco for half of what they charge at Longs. A new staple. Will update after I use it post-swimming.

on 1/9/2004 11:47:00 AM

My mom has been using this for some time, she became very sensitive on her hands & arms to most products after doing hair for 35+ years. She's been very happy with it and turned me onto it. Makes me happy, not sticky!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I purchased this lotion because I heard that it helps get rid of the small bumps that appear on the front of thighs and arms-and I LOVE IT!!! My legs feel so soft and smooth. The only reason I gave it four lippies is because it smells like elmers glue but I can deal with the smell since it is such a great lotion.

on 1/30/2004 5:07:00 AM

This is a fragrance free moisturizing body lotion targeted for rough, dry skin. My skin is not rough but it is very dry and there are some scars from ingrown hair. This moisturizing lotion is not moisturizing enough and my legs still itch from time to time. Even though this can lightened scar but took a very very long while. I will not repuchase for the following 3 reasons: took so long to lighten scar, not moisturizing enough, fragrance free (I like using good smelling product on my body). Find it a pain to finish the bottle.

Ingredients: Water, Lactic Acid neutralized with Ammonium Hydroxide, Light Mineral Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Laureth-4, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl and Propyl Parabens (Preservatives) and Methylcellulose continued >>

on 4/20/2004 9:58:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a review for the AmLactin brand 12% moisturizing lotion (by Upsher-Smith laboratories), which I bought a few months ago to battle the keratosis pilaris (those bumps on the back of your arms) that I just can't help picking at. I've been using this daily for the past few weeks, and have seen some improvement in the amount of clogged follicles back there. It's very hydrating, which was great this winter, but with spring here, I'm not certain I will love the heaviness of this lotion. I apply it at night, because although it's "fragrance-free," there is some medicinal scent that seems to linger after application. UPDATE: still hate the scent and it's got that sticky/heaviness. (altho blissfully, it's winter (in CA, but still dry) again)-> I don't know why I stopped using this (I tried the cream for a little while and I don't think it worked as well). Tried Retin-A micro 0.04%, but then thought, wow, I reviewed this before and said it worked, so why did I stop? Anyways, now 2 weeks later, using 1-2 x a day, and sooo much smoother. Still some bumpies from the KP, but less to pick at. And why am I still picking??? So I'm vowing right now to stop. No more picking, use my AmLactin, and be smoother. Pre-New Years resolution.

on 6/30/2004 12:06:00 PM

**Update** After 6 weeks of using this lotion (I'm still on the original bottle!) it seems to have lost its effectiveness. A few small bumps reappeared. It's still better than if I hadn't used the lotion - but I'm going to ask the derm if he recs something different.** I bought this to soothe mild KP. I actually tried to buy Lac-Hydrin 12% based on P'ville reviews, but that is prescription whereas AmLactin is OTC (but you still have to ask the pharmacist for it). Kinda pricey, $18 for a medium sized bottle. Regardless, I am VERY happy with the results. I saw significant improvement within a week (applying twice a day), and now three weeks later, I don't have a bump in sight. I did not notice any fragrance to the lotion. The only downside is that the lotion feels sticky, and doesn't ever really dry (due to the humectant properties). A small price to pay for pretty skin. Symptoms are reduced to nearly nothing, but the KP is not treated, so I will continue re-purchasing.

on 9/25/2004 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Get the prescription stuff (LacHydrin). I have horrible keratosis pilaris on my arms and, uh, posterior and the OTC stuff did NOT work at all for me. My pharmacist told me AmLactin and LacHydrin were the same (when their ingredient lists are different)when my derm wrote my Rx. I am so angry because I lived with the ugly bumps for five years (read: my arms looked like pizza, long sleeves in the summer). Then I got a bottle of the prescription stuff a few months ago in a last ditch effort to save my skin. I use it ONLY TWICE A WEEK and my KP -what was considered a serious adult case- is GONE. Run, do not walk, to your dermatologist for the Rx real deal.

Amlactin is the best solution I've found for keratosis pilaris so far. Although I still have a lot of bumps, they have lessened considerably with daily use of amlactin.

Two things I don't like about this product: It smells strange and makes my skin feel sticky. I assume that the stickiness is from the product pulling moisture to my skin, but it feels like I'm in very humid weather.

on 10/13/2005 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

WoW! i was really impressed by this product. I first tried the over the counter lachydrin formula. It worked well and it did get rid of my keratosis pilarsis within a couple uses. The LacHydrin retailed for $12.99 for 8 oz. When i ran out, i desperately needed more so i headed to the drugstore. They had the AmLactin 12% on the shelf next to the LacHydrin. The AmLactin was $29.99 for 14 oz. Part of me wanted to just get the LacHydrin but the MUA reviewer in me, grabbed the one I hadnt tried. Well, I am so glad I did. This stuff is much better than the LacHydrin. Although both worked, the AmLactin works in one to 2 applications instead of several! Much faster working. I was thrilled. Totally worth the price tag. There is no annoying scent to this. Wish it was a pump instead of a flip top bottle. Hopefully this comes in a smaller size too! But overall, a new HG product for my KP~

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hands down, this is a must buy for me. This is a HG product. It has many uses.

I have KP on my arms and its extremely embarrassing. This helps to SOME degree but I have never found a product that heals it completely. Please page me, if if you know about anything that does!
What I do, is I scrub the back of my arms with a salcylic acid product in the shower with a loofah and then I get out of the shower and immediately apply this. It definitely helps to some degree.
Another use for this product is the skin on my face. I have dry skin that does get a few clogged pores every now and then. I wash my face and use this every night and it basically eliminates those clogged pores and it also helps remove fine lines and uneven rough texture that I have.
Do not use this near your eyes! and you must use a sunscreen daily with this product.
I am also trying this is a body moisturizer to see if it will work since i just moved into a house that has hard water and its really drying my skin out. I will post an update to see if it moisturizes better.

I purchased my huge bottle at Costco. I strongly suggest going there or checking a store similar to it to see if they have it. At Costco it is right in the beauty aisle. The pharmacist at Costco, says that the lotion is in the aisle and they also have a cream version that is available if you ask for it.
It is around $14 at Costco for this and definitely worth it, as it pretty large and if you find it works for you, you don't need to buy a nightly anti-aging lotion.

Popular Lotions / Creams