AmLactin 12% Moisturizing Body Lotion

Filtered by age: 44-55
 AmLactin 12% Moisturizing Body Lotion
AmLactin 12% Moisturizing Body LotionAmlactin MeAmLactin 12% Moisturizing Body Lotion

4.4

When I first bought this product I really wasn't sure I liked it, but through experimentation I have got it to work for me and will definitely be re-purchasing. I got it through Amazon in the UK for a reasonable price and bought a large pump bottle, which helps with dosage.

It's a useful combination of a dose of lactic acid to exfoliate (12%) with a proper dermatological emollient. Aimed at sufferers of KP (aka 'chicken skin' on arms and / or legs), it's also good for 'de-flaking' and smoothing skin generally, without drying it out. It's pretty fluid and not too tacky for an emollient and goes on smoothly, albeit with a strong chemical smell. It will soak in well unless you overdo it: I recommend starting with a small amount and building it up till you find the amount that works best for you.

I use it nightly as part of the following routine:

- quick shower with A-derma Exomega Emollient Shower Oil, massaging all over with Foreo Luna
- rub a few drops of Weleda Calendula Oil all over whilst still wet from the shower
- pat dry gently or air-dry
- apply Amlactin all over body as needed (I use 1 pump split between both arms, 1 pump for each leg and a smaller amount for torso, which is less dry)
- once soaked in, follow up with a thicker emollient balm on any particularly dry spots (feet, elbows).

Using it this way has helped to reduce annoying lumps and bumps on my arms and legs and keeps my sensitive skin smooth, without lots of heavy mechanical exfoliation, which I find can trigger patches of dermatitis.

WARNINGS / DOWNSIDES:

- it's a pretty strong product. I wouldn't use it on my face / neck / décolleté and some people might find it too strong for regular use or for any use at all.
- If you have lumps and bumps, remember to apply in the direction of hair growth on your arms and legs - this will stop the emollient component of the lotion from blocking hair follicles.
- The smell. No two ways about it, you will smell of ammonia after applying this! I find the smell fades to nothing after about an hour, but you definitely don't want to apply this just before a romantic encounter...

on 12/22/2014 4:47:00 PM

I really can't understand the positive reviews on this lotion. First, it reeks like ammonia. I wouldn't be able to get past that even if this was a good lotion. Second, it doesn't completely absorb--it leaves a sticky residue that is so bad, the last time I used it (which was literally the last time--I threw it away), I had to wash it off. But the most important thing for me is that it doesn't help at all with dryness or KP, which was why I bought it in the first place.

on 2/21/2014 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my go-to moisturizer, it works wonders on my dry, flaky, winter skin. I use it every day after the shower and my skin stays soft and moisturized all day. In addition to moisturizing it is working on the sun damage brown spots that have popped up on my legs and arms, they look lighter and my skin has a lovely glow. The high percentage of alpha hydroxy acid,12%, really works wonders. Just remember to use sun block when you are using any alpha hydroxy product.

The only drawback is the smell and the lingering stickiness. The smell is off-putting at first but the results are so good that I choose to overlook it. I don't have an issue with the stickiness as long as I wait a little before putting on my cloths.

Over a recent ski trip I ran out of my expensive facial moisturizer and used this on my face (yikes!), it worked so well for the dryness I am now using it when my facial skin is particularly dry. I do not have sensitive skin so maybe those of you who do should not try this but it sure works for me. I can't believe that there is not more hype about this product, maybe because there is no marketing. You could easily spend 3x as much on a moisturizer and not get such good results.

I have had extremely bad eczema on my back for nearly 20 years, and I have tried nearly everything from bleach baths (don't ask), to prescription creams and hydrocortisone. Until Amlactin the ONLY thing that helped was the hydrocortisone cream, but I didn't want to be a chronic user. So, like all the other "Guess I'll try this one and see" products, I bought this on a whim figuring it probably wouldn't work. HOLY COW!!! IT DOES!!! I cannot convey adequately what a night and day difference this has been! I went from a horrible looking and terribly itchy rash of bumps on my back to SMOOTH in less than a week! So then I decided to try it on my hairline before bed because I have what I think is eczema there too. I have scaly dandruff there, but apparently after one day, not anymore! I have never before encountered such a dramatic result in my life.

So, yes, as someone reviewed somewhere else, it does have a crayon smell, but for me it goes away quickly, and it only reminds me of kindergarten, so big deal. ;^) I am so encouraged that I've started using it all over...on my flaky legs, dry hard heels and patches of dryness on my face.

I will say that it is sticky feeling which does irritate my throat a bit (I also have sensitive skin to heat/moisture), so I've taken to night applications and showering it off in the morning.

The stinging? Well, that's the nature of the beast. That just tells me it's effective and working. I don't think you can get an effective AHA type product that doesn't sting a little.

on 12/1/2011 8:21:00 PM

I use this on my feet and arms - I don't have KP, just dry skin. This really works to keep my feet and elbows gorgeous and smooth. Don't understand the comments about the smell. My tube has absolutely no smell at all. I think I may try it on my face next. It is very light feeling going on - but it definintely makes a difference. A bit pricey, but there are coupons to be had and the lady at Walgreens even gave me another one when made my last purchase. I will definintely buy this again.

on 5/13/2011 1:07:00 PM

I have used one bottle of this to get rid of some dry patches on my legs and lighten some sun spots. It has been wonderful for the dry patches and even lightened the sun spots, although they are definitely still there. Hoping that the sun spots will continue to fade with continued use of the AmLactin and a high PPD sunscreen. Good stuff!

I scored a good deal on this at CVS~it was on a clearance shelf for $2.25, and also the CVS generic brand was on clearance as well for about $2.00! My favorite lotion for KP was Vaseline Healthy Body Complexion, before it was discontinued and I've run out of my back ups! At least that had a scent that was tolerable. As for this....to be blunt it smells like stinky feet and ass! That is the only way to describe it, and I will only use it before bed, on my feet, arms, legs and hands. I do like the results, though. Really smooths out any rough places- it's not an overnight cure though, you have to use continuously for about 2 to 3 weeks- depending on your skin- to see results. I also tried the CVS generic formula of this and that smells even worse- like ammonia!
Other posters have noted to put another lotion on top- to mask the smell- you can do that- but you're really just wasting that lotion.

on 3/7/2011 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have the CVS generic of this product but I am sure it's basically the same. This is an excellent products. I mainly use it on my feet which are very dry this winter. It took about a week but my heels are looking much smoother. I put in on my feet in the morning and then put socks over it. It smells a little bit like sour milk but I am OK with it. The smell doesn't linger long.

on 10/5/2010 3:33:00 PM

Purchased at Costco!! its a clinically proven formula using Alpha Hydroxy Therapy!! Great for feet, elbow, arms and legs!!
No more bumpy bumps on your arms!!
Just make sure you have no tiny cuts on your legs or hands, it will sting!! But this stuff works!!!!

on 6/15/2010 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am one of those girls always asking the skin borad what to do about my flaky skin on my face. It would be miserable sometimes putting on my foundation, I'd have to spend a lot of time getting rid of the flakes afterwards. Not no more, thanks to ALactin. It has reduced that problem 100%. Yes, I use it on my face, it does not clog my skin + in fact it has cleared out all my clogged pores. It is my HG for my face and I will always have it on hand forever.

Update: I've been using Olay resurfacing elixer with the best results to get rid of my flakes. Amlactin stinks and feels like glue on my face. I tossed it.