Conair Ion Shine 1875 Watt Ionic Styler

Filtered by skin type : Combination
No Image

3.6

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm surprised at the bad ratings. This dryer is cheap and does the job really well. It gets my super thick, long asian hair to dry in a couple of minutes. I don't dry my hair to the point its completely dry though. I dry it to 90% and then let the hair dry naturally on its own. It straightens my hair well too.

The only issue would be that its breaking one of the cardinal rules of hair: combing it when its wet.

on 10/12/2008 2:19:00 PM

This dryer has 2 speeds - barely on (what they call low), and way too high (what they call high). My hair is shorter than shoulder length and it took almost 40 minutes to dry my hair on low. The next time I used it I tried it on high and although it only took about 10 minutes my hair was a poofy frizzy mess. I thought maybe it was just a matter of getting used to a new product so I tried it a few more times but got the same results. This dryer is going straight to the garbage can!

on 10/11/2005 4:54:00 PM

This review is for the Conair Ceramic Ionic Hairdryer - 174R - it's red, about
$25, 1875 watts and the best hair dryer I've ever had/experienced (including at the salon)! My last one was a piece of junk, overpriced (okay, $50, but it was really bad) Hot Tools ionic dryer that lasted under a year and during that time, didn't succeed in any of its claims. This one is better made, makes my (long, fine, frizzy & damaged) hair silky smooth with volume in short time. Don't know if it's because of the ceramic heat or the dual (instead of one) ionic ports or what. I can't rave enough about it, definitely my HG. Even my friends and husband have noticed the difference in my hair's appearance! The facts that it's really quiet AND cheap are huge bonuses. (Only bummer is that it's a tad heavy, but since it only takes me 5 minutes to dry and style thoroughly wet hair, I can't really complain.)

on 7/11/2005 11:02:00 AM

I was interested in trying an ionic dryer but not ready to make the investment in an expensive one. Based on the reviews here I purchased this one. I am really disappointed with it. In terms of performance my Conair Yellowbird is far superior to this one. The Yellowbird actually dries my hair faster, and I also have smoother hair and less frizz with the Yellowbird. This makes me wonder if this "ionic technology" is nothing but a marketing ploy, since I get better results with a non-ionic dryer. The only advantages this has over my Yellowbird are 1) the removable filter (Yellowbird filters are not removable and are a major pain to clean) and 2) it comes with a screw on diffuser (I've had a hard time finding a diffuser for the Yellowbird that doesn't fall off while I'm blow drying). And the Ion Shine has a cool shot button. That's it. Perhaps you get better results with a more expensive, professional quality model. At this point I'm not inclined to find out.

This is not great at all..(please see my review for Belson's Gold N Hot 1875). And I do not like where the switches/buttons are...I involuntarily change them while drying my hair

on 6/30/2004 4:03:00 PM

I'm so glad I have this! It seems to make my color-treated hair thicker and shinier. I don't see why anyone would pay $150 for a ion hairdryer when they could get this one for about $20. Will re-purchase.

-Went from normal hair dryer to this dryer and there was a noticeable difference. My hair is much smoother.
-It comes w/ a nozzle.